Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:09 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

I had to stop at February 25, 2015. I'm pretty sure Florida Man is another species.

Best Florida Man Headlines 2015 - The Year in Florida Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:02 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
I don't like any of them, snakes, bugs, mosquitos, spiders, gators, bobcats ( I heard bobcats are also in California) Doesn't California have black widows and scorpions or is that just Arizona and New Mexico?
We got mountain lions here, but most are in the mountains and deserts. I have yet to see a black widow or scorpion. I think bobcats are mostly inland in forest areas here also.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:13 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
I enjoy FL and its beaches in small doses. It's a nice place to vacation for a few days (kinda hoping my parents retire and move there from VA), but you couldn't pay me to live there.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:42 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Massive 15-foot gator killed in hunt at Florida farm | WRIC

Old 04-06-2016, 10:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
3 bedrooms in 830 square feet, must have been postage-stamp sized bedrooms. Why on earth do you need 2 bedrooms for you and a couple dogs?

Consider that even in a studio in a great location in CA at the coast, means that the outdoors is part of your square footage. The weather is so much better year-round, that you will spend a lot more time outside.

So, for instance, if you have a studio, but you have a balcony or porch, add that area to your square footage, because you can hang out outside.

Plus, the weather is good enough most of the year, that you can take your dogs to the beach or park, etc. Then, when you come home, and if you have a balcony, you hang out outside while you have a glass of wine and barbecue dinner.

In CA, especially along the coast, you don't need a huge house, because you aren't stuck in it most of the year.

All of the bugs aren't as big as your hand in the south, but I can testify as a CA resident, that I moved to TN for 5 years, and even if you spray religiously for cockroaches, you will have them. Big, smart, fast disgusting cockroaches that will end up on your toothbrush or in your toaster.

Now, the only bugs I admit to seriously missing from the south are fireflies. They are beautiful and magical and I really miss them.

But, that's all I miss about the south.

And, I was surprised that Florida was very "southern," when my hubby and my daughter and I first went there to vacation from TN. I never made it as far as Miami, but I can tell you that the Destin area, for instance, is Bubba land. It is the south with a capital "S." Meaning, you better be comfortable with rednecks who will probably vote for Trump.

Maybe that will work for you. And you'll be able to afford a much bigger house. You'll have to decide what is more important to you.

For me, I'd rather live in a closet in CA on the coast than deal with the humidity, the Bubbas and the bugs in a mansion in FL.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:22 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
The choice is clear to anyone who has the means to live in California.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
I've lived in southern California and I now live in Florida. No comparison. I always wanted to move to California, but once I was there I hated it. No offense to the folks who live there and like it, but it wasn't for me at all.

Florida is where I will die.

Don

Old 04-07-2016, 04:30 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
Hi,

I've been contemplating either moving to Florida or California. I know the weather between the two are different and the summers can be unbearable in the summers in Florida. California has great weather for the most part, however, California is so darn expensive.

I checked and since Florida has no income tax I would bring home a little over $600 per month more in my paycheck and the cost of living is cheaper.

California i would lose $600 monthly and taxes are higher but the weather is gorgeous and I have family out there so I'm back and forth with my decision.

In Florida I could afford to live either on or very close to the beach. California would be impossible financially.

What would your choices be and for what reasons?

Thank you
Theresa
Here…..http://www.city-data.com/city/Ojai-California.html#b
Ojai, Ca. It's in the middle of the #1 and #3 most senic and best climate counties in the U.S.….https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...atural-beauty/
20 miles from the Worlds safest beach….
http://www.city-data.com/city/Carpin...ifornia.html#b
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...ornia.html#or0

Old 04-07-2016, 09:19 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,347 times
ON, what kind of climate are you looking for? Where is your family located? With your income and no commuting necessary you actually have quite a few options.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:58 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
In California, you'll have to take the written test in order to transfer your out-of-state drivers license. Now I heard 20 years ago, you didn't have to take the test. But California rapidly changes laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.