Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 09:50 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
That's the kind of thing I mean. Of course, the city doesn't have to be made up of only one ethnicity or race - it can be very diverse.

Also, I'm talking about how cosmopolitan the city's residents are. If a city is 60% white and 40% Asian, but the whites only listen to country music and eat steak than it doesn't qualify.
Very true. You could make the argument that a person who listens to Aya Kamiki (J-Pop) and Saulės Kliošas (Lithuanian Rock) is much more cosmopolitan than someone who eats at a phở restaurant daily but doesn't know a lick about Vietnamese culture.

Last edited by tenken627; 03-03-2008 at 10:30 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Also, I'm talking about how cosmopolitan the city's residents are. If a city is 60% white and 40% Asian, but the whites only listen to country music and eat steak than it doesn't qualify.
I'm not sure what taste in food/music have to do with cosmopolitanism. Maybe they just like that music and food. Is there something wrong with that? And why single out the whites? Is it OK for some other race to listen to only one kind of music and eat only one food (which is pretty preposterous on the face of it)?

Old 03-03-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not sure what taste in food/music have to do with cosmopolitanism. Maybe they just like that music and food. Is there something wrong with that? And why single out the whites? Is it OK for some other race to listen to only one kind of music and eat only one food (which is pretty preposterous on the face of it)?
Food/music isn't the only thing. It could be any aspect of culture. Cosmopolitan refers to being "worldly", or knowledge of other cultures and societies from many parts of the world.

But, you are right as well, if a person from another nation eats only their type of food and engages only in the aspects of their own culture, they wouldn't be considered cosmopolitan either.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:04 PM

^^^ I'm not necessarily talking about people from another nation. I'm talking about people of other races in this country, since you only addressed whites.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:08 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
I guess New York City and its suburbs. To an incrasingly extent, portions of the Washington, D.C> area as more immigrants have come in. Coming home after 4 years away at college was a culture shock. A lot of young people, including white and black Americans, would talk about listening to some obscure Egytian or Indian band or watching some foreign film, or dating Russian and Persian guys and girls. I would be like I just had the best barbecue ribs at Outback or like y'all should definitely check out Taylor Swift's new CD and Kenny Chesney's performance at the CMAs was great and nobody would know what I was talking about!!!!! Very disconcerting to a certain extent.

Don't about locals, but cities with a deciededly cosmopolitan "feel" and "Atmosphre"....I would say New York, LA, Miami, and tourist places like Las Vegas and Orlando which attract people from all over the world. Oh yeah, and in Vegas you can visit Italy, France, and Egypt all in one day

Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
^^^ I'm not necessarily talking about people from another nation. I'm talking about people of other races in this country, since you only addressed whites.
Oh, it wasn't me that wrote that.

I'm not sure, I can only assume he wrote that because whites are the predominant race in most areas of the United States.

I don't know. I didn't catch that when I read it lol.

Either way, yes, other races are the same. Cosmopolitan knows no color.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:18 PM

OK, my bad for thinking it was you. It was someone else. I got confused who I was quoting and who was answering, lol. But it doesn't make sense. Some people just don't like classical music, or vegetarian food. And if you do, and scorn people who like country and steak, what does that say about you? (I do not mean you, specifically, tenken627.)

Old 03-03-2008, 11:06 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
I'm not sure, I can only assume he wrote that because whites are the predominant race in most areas of the United States.
That's what I wrote that. I'm not limiting cosmopolitanism to whites alone or harping on those who eat steak and listen to country music, I'm only trying to use an example that everybody can understand.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:14 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
OK, my bad for thinking it was you. It was someone else. I got confused who I was quoting and who was answering, lol. But it doesn't make sense. Some people just don't like classical music, or vegetarian food. And if you do, and scorn people who like country and steak, what does that say about you? (I do not mean you, specifically, tenken627.)
I don't think he's trying to say it as a knock on American culture (I'm sure almost all of us love what makes us American), I think he's just trying to highlight some characteristics that make a city cosmopolitan.

Having an understanding for various cultures, tastes, experiences makes a place cosmopolitan. Country music and steak are very American.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:02 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I guess New York City and its suburbs. To an incrasingly extent, portions of the Washington, D.C> area as more immigrants have come in. Coming home after 4 years away at college was a culture shock. A lot of young people, including white and black Americans, would talk about listening to some obscure Egytian or Indian band or watching some foreign film, or dating Russian and Persian guys and girls. I would be like I just had the best barbecue ribs at Outback or like y'all should definitely check out Taylor Swift's new CD and Kenny Chesney's performance at the CMAs was great and nobody would know what I was talking about!!!!! Very disconcerting to a certain extent.

Don't about locals, but cities with a deciededly cosmopolitan "feel" and "Atmosphre"....I would say New York, LA, Miami, and tourist places like Las Vegas and Orlando which attract people from all over the world. Oh yeah, and in Vegas you can visit Italy, France, and Egypt all in one day
I love diversity, but you couldn't pay me to live in a place that you just described:

Thats why I have a slight fascination with Texas cities, I love country music, barbeque, but I still like to be in a place that has people from all over the world.

I CAN'T stand people who are elitist toward of look down on country music or barbeque, steak, etc. I would go nuts in a place where people were only into foreign films, foreign music, etc.

Down home American culture is part of diversity too!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.