Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:06 PM

107 posts, read 720,928 times

Advertisements

West Hollywood, Calif. would be a good residential choice, if an expensive one. Bigtime Halloween parade, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2006, 03:21 AM

11 posts, read 40,416 times
one of my best girlfriends visited san fran with her ex boyfriend last year she brought back pictures of gay pride flags out there so to be honest i would say san fran is your best bet probably expensive as heck just like the rest of california but if your looking for a gay paradise i would say san fran

Old 06-12-2006, 10:58 AM

69 posts, read 492,201 times
Try Asbury Park NJ I'm not gay but I know alot of People who are and Asbury is starting to build back up. They have gourgous old beach homes with the wrap around porches

Old 06-18-2006, 06:19 AM

51 posts, read 335,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw
Try the small towns in the South. They are open to that sort of thing. Especially the ones with fewer than say 6,000 people that are far away from any big town. You should fit right in.
Oh my goodness! Are you kidding?! Small southern towns are the absolute WORST place for gays to live! You wouldn't believe, being a citizen of a small southern town myself, how many gay bashings I've seen and the incredible amount of gay profanities and snide remarks towards homosexuals...Please, if you value your social, emotional, and very possible physical well-being, stay away from the south at all costs...big city or small

Old 06-18-2006, 05:47 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyopapa
Oh my goodness! Are you kidding?! Small southern towns are the absolute WORST place for gays to live! You wouldn't believe, being a citizen of a small southern town myself, how many gay bashings I've seen and the incredible amount of gay profanities and snide remarks towards homosexuals...Please, if you value your social, emotional, and very possible physical well-being, stay away from the south at all costs...big city or small
Heh. I'm pretty sure that poster was being facetious.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:40 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times
I am very open minded. And with that said I posted the following post on the North Carolina board where I live. I hope that you will at least consider it because I believe Raleigh and some other towns in North Carolina have a lot to offer no matter what sexual orientation you are. Here is the post:

"I would think that you would do well in Raleigh or Charlotte or most of the larger cities. While it makes no difference to me and I try to get along with anyone and even my daughter lived with a male homosexual because she wanted the security of having a man in the house but not the entanglements of a romantic relationships she faced the wrath of her father when he found out. I also figured she was an adult and had to do what was best for her and she felt safer in Raleigh when she first got there with this guy around. They worked together and he was just as nice as he could be and it gave me a sense of security to know he was watching out for her. She eventually did move out after about a year or year and half or so when she started dating this gentleman that she is engaged to now. But she remains very close to the man that watched out for her when she was just getting her feet wet while leaving home. Rural areas like the one I live in are not that opened minded I am ashamed to say. What you do with your life and how you live it is up to you. And it is almost criminal that you can't just pop yourself anywhere and be an asset to any community because you are this or that. But again I think you would do better in a blended city like Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville might be okay but my gut feeling based on experience is Raleigh in the place for you. And remember you don't owe people an explanation of your sexual preference any more than I have to tell people that I grew up on a farm. Good luck where ever you land."

Old 06-22-2006, 12:06 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Havent Founf
what are the best cities for gays to live?

not sure where you are located but you might look into my former hometown (Long Beach, CA)

Old 06-23-2006, 12:42 AM

478 posts, read 2,303,595 times
If you are female:

Provincetown, MA
Durham, NC (an unlikely haven in the middle of the Triangle region)
Portland, OR (home of many groups involved with alternative sexualities and lifestyles and as open-minded as it gets)
Austin, TX

If you are male:

San Francisco, CA (duh)
Atlanta, GA (there has long been an alternative lifestyle community here)
Seattle, WA (you can be loud and proud without fear here)
Dayton, OH (I visited this place and saw more gay men than I'd ever seen per capita in any place EVER)

Last edited by SeattlitefromNC; 06-23-2006 at 12:44 AM..

Old 06-24-2006, 08:32 PM

137 posts, read 739,367 times
In the south there are a few small towns that have become more of artist communities and DO (not kidding here) accept gays. One that comes to mind is Monticello, GA. It is a dinky little town that has LOTS of gay men. They are an integral part of society there and people are totally accepting of it. Not a whole lot of other things going on in the town, however. It is a rural town, cheap as dirt, low performing public schools/cheap high performing private school.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:41 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
Northampton or Amherst MA. New Paltz NY, or Cape Cod Ma. Very tolerant towns from what I have been told - I am heterosexual, but a gay female coworker in MA gave me the scoop on her lifestyle and views on how she was accepted in the area. It is nothing to see two women kissing while you are out walking in Northampton, people just walk on by and barely take notice. It is a fairly liberal area, people are pretty open minded and laid back when it comes to that subject.

I love Northampton and Amherst BTW. Very nice college towns, a bit pricey if you want to own a large home, but rentals are surprisingly cheap in some areas. And it is just a lovely area with hiking, trails, great - AWESOME -resturants, there is a butterfly conservatory up north, a microbrewery in Deerfield, the Yankee candle factory, and farmers markets etc..! Plenty of things to do education - wise as well. Oh, and Great Adventure and the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield too. There is really too much to do there to mention in one post...Historic Sturbridge, the Berkshires..ok I will shut up now.

New Paltz, NY is OK, a little quaint, but less to do there than the other places in MA, and a bit more expensive. If you will remember, the mayor of New Paltz got into some deep doo doo for performing gay marraiges a few years back....and of course, mass does gay marraige last I heard. Shoot - they pioneered gay marraige!

There's my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.