Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 06:36 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times

Advertisements

Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Asheville, and Raleigh NC are all worth a look if a person is interested (for whatever reason) in the South.
NC is the only southern state that has not put an Anti-gay-Marriage amendment to its constitution, I'm happy to say. (Now there is an anti-gaymarriage law on the books, like most states, but it has never actually made it to the state constitution.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 02:57 AM
RCL

123 posts, read 680,042 times
I'll tell you the same thing I told someone else who was concerned with racial discrimination in the south.

I say live where you want to live. This is America and you pay taxes just like anyone else. Honestly, the subject of gay in America is getting so old, people need to get over it and move on. There are bigger fish to fry.

We have an educational system that is falling apart, high crime, joblessness, homelessness, fighting a war abroad, just to name a few...

Pople need to grow up and accept that everyone is different and whether you agree with someone or not is irrelevent because we are all the same under the US Constitution.

If that's not so, then I was a fool for serving 6 years in the military and being willing to die in defense of it (the constitution).

Last edited by RCL; 08-24-2006 at 03:45 AM..

Old 08-24-2006, 03:08 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,931 times
THANK YOU RCL for your honorable service to our GREAT NATION!!!

RaleighRob: FL doesn't have an anti-gay marriage amendment...That's on some of the gov to be agendas however... But I believe there are a bunch of states that don't actually have an anti-gay marriage amendment in their constitutions.

And yes RCL, it's quite absurd that this is even an issue.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:43 AM

6 posts, read 21,511 times
I would recommend Provincetown, MA, as well. I live in N.C. and Asheville has a large gay population if you like the South.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
I just found out where I live, they are making new books for same-sex eduacation complete with graphic same-sex positions and imagery that are meant to be distributed to all the public highschools. Kind of like a how-to book.

They have spent 4 million from the Ontario government, 2.5 million from the federal government and 1.5 million from the Toronto city government to make this. And they have all done this secretly. Like most new laws they don't really want anyone to know, or public input until it's too late. Supposedly they're doing this just because same-sex marriage is legal now. When I did sex-ed in public school 10 years ago, they never showed us graphic images of "hetero-sex."

I'm very unimpressed that some of my hard earned tax dollars are now being spent distributing graphic homosexual material. I don't see as a co-relation to accepting a new kind of marriage.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 09-19-2006 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-19-2006, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 11,562 times
Fort Lauderdale I Think.

Last edited by Honolulu Resident; 09-19-2006 at 10:40 AM..

Old 09-19-2006, 11:38 AM

60 posts, read 303,531 times
Like RaleighBob said, the Triangle area in NC is fairly gay friendly, especially Orange County. Carboro has (or had) an openly gay mayor. I know a number of gay people in the Raleigh area who all have full social lives and little problem getting along day to day. This area is full of transplants from the northeast so it isn't as backwoods as some people think.

As for the west coast, Seattle is very gay friendly. The Capitol Hill area is known as the gay area in the city and couples are often very openly affectionate there. Well, in other parts of the city too, as the entire city tends to be very open minded.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:06 PM

14 posts, read 73,068 times
Portland OR. Still pretty affordable.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:59 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,062 times
Key West Florida, I actually think Key West was reborn because of the gay community, its a very populated area but people love living there. A good trade or education is a must so you will have enough money to live on. I always felt that the Florida Keys should be made into a state park, too late but the keys are beautiful and extremely accepting of the gay lifestyle. Good luck to you.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:07 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypercy View Post
Portland OR. Still pretty affordable.
Yep from Portland, very friendly to gay people, they are more into protesting killing of trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.