Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 12:22 PM

185 posts, read 734,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordtwo View Post
and guess what you are not the only one getting a degree. I already have a degree and I'm working on another one in Information Technology. You are not the only black guy achieving and trying to accomplish something here!
I was really referring to Fairfaxian in quoting your statement that the thread always seemed contrived to you. And I meant contrived as in somebody like Fairfaxing only creating the thread to work on their sociology thesis. If the thread were contrived, that would be one motivation for doing it. I'm all for having more successful black men in the world which ever way we can get them including you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
This isn't some sociology dissertation. This was purely made to improve my well being and quality of living.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 PM

981 posts, read 806,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
This isn't some sociology dissertation. This was purely made to improve my well being and quality of living.
I hate to break it to you, but it's an exercise in futility.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
1) Never have I said or insinuated that I was perfect.
No, but the insinuation was that you're better than 99% of Blacks.

Quote:
2) Sorry if tone sound too elitist, but let me clarify that the "no use of having racial pride due to the lack of acceptance by my own" statement applied mostly to the blacks who display extreme jealousy over anyone, especially one of their own, who are doing great things in life, which - for where I live - there are a lot of people like that in a close proximity. Maybe in Atlanta and Charlotte, blacks admire, desire, and embrace their educated and ambitious, but in the DC area, it's anything but when it comes to successfully blacks finding acceptance with their own "community." That message didn't apply to blacks who are doing great things like going to grad/law school or making a decent salary.
I can't speak for my city as a whole; I can only speak for my web of friends and associates. I went to a predominantly White university with a sizable Black student population, was active on campus, joined a BGLO, and still have those connections since I live in the same metro area I went to school in. I see nothing extraordinary about this whatsoever. And as I said, I have several associates in the DC area who are doing their thing successfully also and haven't "sold out" in the process.

Quote:
3) I would not mind associating with other blacks who are successful. The thing is, for quite a few other blacks I have personally ran into who are in this category (for where I live), they tend to either put on the "HBCU act" and exclude anyone who isn't a part of that group, or they personally don't want to associate with other blacks themselves.
I'm really not sure what the whole "HBCU act" is, but I've found that friendship and just plain associations work on the same basic principles, mainly by what you have in common. And I'm not even the most extroverted, outgoing person but I have no problem making those connections with others based on commonalities. You truly seem to be an anomaly for whatever reason.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
I noticed you suggested Houston a few times, but the truth is some blacks will exhibit the same the behavior of the blacks in DC towards you. I'd still go with Houston over Austin though.

Just let it be known that whites will just as easily make fun of you and question you about your ways as well, but it seems you prefer to be teased by whites than the blacks.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:44 PM

981 posts, read 806,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No, but the insinuation was that you're better than 99% of Blacks.

I can't speak for my city as a whole; I can only speak for my web of friends and associates. I went to a predominantly White university with a sizable Black student population, was active on campus, joined a BGLO, and still have those connections since I live in the same metro area I went to school in. I see nothing extraordinary about this whatsoever. And as I said, I have several associates in the DC area who are doing their thing successfully also and haven't "sold out" in the process.

I'm really not sure what the whole "HBCU act" is, but I've found that friendship and just plain associations work on the same basic principles, mainly by what you have in common. And I'm not even the most extroverted, outgoing person but I have no problem making those connections with others based on commonalities. You truly seem to be an anomaly for whatever reason.
Actually, he seems quite typical to me because you encounter these types very frequently. In the OP, he reveals a great deal about his mindset and his orientation towards not only himself, but other blacks, as well, especially his apparent fondness and preference for interracial dating. It's not too difficult to ascertain what kind of person he is.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:46 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Actually, he seems quite typical to me because you encounter these types very frequently. In the OP, he reveals a great deal about his mindset and his orientation towards not only himself, but other blacks, as well, especially his apparent fondness and preference for interracial dating. It's not too difficult to ascertain what kind of person he is.
I see your point. I suppose I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt since I don't know him personally.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:41 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Just let it be known that whites will just as easily make fun of you and question you about your ways as well, but it seems you prefer to be teased by whites than the blacks.
This isn't true. I've caught far more crap from blacks than whites. In fact, I can't ever remember a white person making fun of me or putting me down for my race or "ways."

Old 01-03-2010, 06:03 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I noticed you suggested Houston a few times, but the truth is some blacks will exhibit the same the behavior of the blacks in DC towards you. I'd still go with Houston over Austin though.

1) I don't enjoyed being teased by anyone. I don't know where you pulled that one from.

2) The only whites that I have faced ridicule, teasing, and questioning from is - ironically - the flamboyantly liberal ones, specifically from the Northeast, who brag about "diversity" (but that's for another topic)

3) Why would you suggest Houston if I'm going to get shafted by both sides? I'm not trying to deal with the same situation as in DC!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:21 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Has anyone ever thought about Canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.