Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 105 44.49%
Canada 107 45.34%
It's a tie 24 10.17%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 03:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Growing up in the small Southern town I had only one Asian friend.There just were not many at all.His name was Saikon(sure I misspelled that).He was Japanese and didnt have many friends as his English was horrible but we were close until he moved away a year later in 5th grade.
Ive always been patient and I tried harder than many of the other students to try and understand him so that would explain that I guess

Over the years I now live in a diverse city,I have many friends from all ethnicity and races. In fact the many of my friends are South Asian(India/Bengali).My best friends are South Asian,African American,Algerian,French.
People I dont just "know" but I consider like brothers as do they towards me as well.

It was'nt till I went to San Francisco for the first time as a 20 year old did I see Asians not in those stereotypical roles.As you stated, I saw Asian police and trash men,mechanics etc.I was actually bewildered but in humanized a race I had very little interaction with.
Also considering this wasnt too long after Rodney King that Korean American relations were at it all time low as they were seen as predatory in the way they did business in black communities.
People forget how bad that was .Korean store owners and their families were being attacked and targeted across the U.S.

I remember Korean store owners started getting wise and living in the communities and getting to know there customers by being more friendly.
I see this even today when i go to some of those areas how they really get involved with the community.
Iabout 8 years ago when i lived in the hood flipping house there was a small Korean owned store where the father of a family owned store was shot and killed brutally.The community was outraged and on the news there gave such an outpouring of support.
People were really outraged and demanded justice.This community really loved the store owner as he always looked out for some of the poorer residents that could not always pay.
There was one guy who was the most "thuggish" hard core black guy you would ever see basically said in the interview that they would find whoever did that and they would "get what they deserved".

The US gets a perceived notion that its more racist due to all the Incidents like Rodney King and now all the current police stuff but it happens all over the Western world,Especially Canada.
Im not picking on Canada as I said i go there quite often and love it BUT Canadians often have there head in the sand when it comes to racial inequality.Much like how Europe is.
I will always contend that America assimilates people better in society than any other Western Country in the world
I agree with you.Limitations of race are easier to overcome in the U.S. and for me that makes all the difference in what kind of quality of life I can live
https://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...icy-try-canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 03:31 PM

587 posts, read 423,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Not true.

The Toronto Police Force is actively encouraging minorities to join the force.
They are hiring a lot of visible minorities to better reflect the ethic makeup of the city.

Canada best known police force...The RCMP....”the Mounties” ...same thing,
they now allow Sikh’s to wear a turban in lieu of the tradition hat.

Sky is the limit for visible minorities in Canada, no different than in USA,
just google Michael Lee-Chin.....he started off very poor and became a billionaire in Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I live in Vancouver. We had a Police Chief of Chinese descent. I see many asian police etc. I highly doubt that there is systemic discrimination going on. Minorities in Canada would be VERY vocal about it if they believed there was. Certainly the police chief would of brought it up.

I can't find numbers for the VPD, but SFPD is about 16 percent asian, but they don't break asian down.

I also think, just assuming that there are darker forces at work because of the ethnic make-up of a police force, without taking into consideration possible other things at play, isn't definitive.
Thanks for providing the examples, I was just going by the anecdotes & relatives' frustrations

Old 11-09-2018, 03:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Hardly embarrassing myself.Its what I saw and if American cheese wasnt a "thing" in Canda why is it on burgers many times just like in the U.S.?
Hormone free milk is available here as well so again not sure where you are going with that.I go into a grocery store here and there are several types of milk products from Dairy,Organic,Cashew,2%.1% whole etc and different brands at that.

Yes you totally misunderstood my point about wanting more from society.Meaning inclusion.

So now the US has benefits for the poor?Which is it?A minute ago you were going on about how people in Canada have benefits Americans dont.You make it sound like US is a third world country.

Do you think if Canada was as populated as the US they could provide the same level of healthcare they do now?
Are you sure you aren't confusing " American Cheese " with processed cheese slices, like Kraft Singles. You do know they are different things...both junk, but different. " American Cheese " as far as I know isn't available in Canada. I have never seen it.

Yes, hormone free milk is available in the US. It's the only one I buy when I visit. You pay more for it though. In Canada all dairy is hormone free, you don't have to read the label and worry about it. Our dairy industry is run differently, and is thriving. While many of your dairy farms are struggling, and produce too much milk that they can't sell. Plus it's heavily subsidized, while ours in Canada is not. You pay for it one way or another.
You think we don't have different brands of milk or different types of milk in Canada??? That's just weird.

Immigrants do well in Canada. Like all immigrants some may have trouble feeling included in mainstream society, but it's no different anywhere. Most immigrants fit in quickly.

You are confusing " hand-outs " with " benefits ". Less people on government assistance, is a good thing. Benefits include maternity/paternity leave, mandated paid vacation, severance pay laws, healthcare, etc.

Yes I do think Canada could provide the same level of healthcare if populated like the US. I also believe that you guys can too. You just have to figure out what kind of UHC you want, and make it fit your countries situation. It will happen in some form.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:11 PM

923 posts, read 665,413 times
Quote:
I live in Vancouver. We had a Police Chief of Chinese descent. I see many asian police etc. I highly doubt that there is systemic discrimination going on. Minorities in Canada would be VERY vocal about it if they believed there was. Certainly the police chief would of brought it up.

I can't find numbers for the VPD, but SFPD is about 16 percent asian, but they don't break asian down.

I also think, just assuming that there are darker forces at work because of the ethnic make-up of a police force, without taking into consideration possible other things at play, isn't definitive.

Amusing not even offended as I know you like many non minorities are clueless in their knowledge as of the dept your Canadian and my government have gone to suppress freedoms and rights of minorities."Darker forces" are at work at this very moment as the nations first Black Female Candidate fo Governor of a major political party is contesting one of the closest races in the history of the State of Georgia against her opponet who was the acting Sec. of State who is in charge of elections in the state.A guy who was sued by federal government twice for purging votes from the rolls.The vast majority are African American and Latino.
You think I should give benefit of the doubt. but that is a asking for too much trust when trust has been broken to many times in the recent past and further back.

Isnt Vancouver at least 40% Asian?
Does'nt the mayor appoint the Police Chief?Has there ever been an Asian Mayor of a MAJOR Canadian city?Black?Latino?

It has been brought up MANY times.Especially by the black community.At least in other provinces other than BC.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:31 PM

923 posts, read 665,413 times
Quote:
Are you sure you aren't confusing " American Cheese " with processed cheese slices, like Kraft Singles. You do know they are different things...both junk, but different. " American Cheese " as far as I know isn't available in Canada. I have never seen it.

Yes, hormone free milk is available in the US. It's the only one I buy when I visit. You pay more for it though. In Canada all dairy is hormone free, you don't have to read the label and worry about it. Our dairy industry is run differently, and is thriving. While many of your dairy farms are struggling, and produce too much milk that they can't sell. Plus it's heavily subsidized, while ours in Canada is not. You pay for it one way or another.
You think we don't have different brands of milk or different types of milk in Canada??? That's just weird.

Immigrants do well in Canada. Like all immigrants some may have trouble feeling included in mainstream society, but it's no different anywhere. Most immigrants fit in quickly.

You are confusing " hand-outs " with " benefits ". Less people on government assistance, is a good thing. Benefits include maternity/paternity leave, mandated paid vacation, severance pay laws, healthcare, etc.

Yes I do think Canada could provide the same level of healthcare if populated like the US. I also believe that you guys can too. You just have to figure out what kind of UHC you want, and make it fit your countries situation. It will happen in some form.
One thing I know having lived all over the US is that things can be quite different.Especially food prices.Hormone free milk can be found daily inexpensive but I dont drink it.I drink Almond Milk.

Yes.It was American Cheese because we were cooking hamburgers at his house.They didnt have Kaft Slices.It was a Canadian brand only I had never heard of.
Vancouver is quite different Im sure so you may not have the same things.
It was only 20 slices and was 4 or 5 dollars.Here where Im at it about 2 something for a similar size.
I bought eggs also and it too was expensive comparatively speaking.I think over $3 for a dozen.
The Midwest and Southern US tends to be much cheaper than the West and Northeast

The Dairy industry is "thriving" in Canada because its protected from competition from outside of the country.This was big sticking point in recent negotiations between Canada and the US.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/04/u-...dairy-dispute/

Old 11-09-2018, 07:31 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,227,638 times
Wow, Be Pround, You are truly a piece of work!!!

Old 11-09-2018, 08:10 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Amusing not even offended as I know you like many non minorities are clueless in their knowledge as of the dept your Canadian and my government have gone to suppress freedoms and rights of minorities."Darker forces" are at work at this very moment as the nations first Black Female Candidate fo Governor of a major political party is contesting one of the closest races in the history of the State of Georgia against her opponet who was the acting Sec. of State who is in charge of elections in the state.A guy who was sued by federal government twice for purging votes from the rolls.The vast majority are African American and Latino.
You think I should give benefit of the doubt. but that is a asking for too much trust when trust has been broken to many times in the recent past and further back.

Isnt Vancouver at least 40% Asian?
Does'nt the mayor appoint the Police Chief?Has there ever been an Asian Mayor of a MAJOR Canadian city?Black?Latino?

It has been brought up MANY times.Especially by the black community.At least in other provinces other than BC.
By the way Be Proud....

Toronto Chief of Police is black.....Mark Saunders....google him...

Also Calgary mayor ....Naheed Nenshi....is Asian

Old 11-09-2018, 08:55 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Is there anything American ...... you won't interject to mock, trash, demean and lessen. Like cheese now.

If you ever ate in one of those awful American chains (unlike Canada's wholesome restaurants)..... especially those fast-food ones. You probably ate American fake hormone filled cheese. if there is a dairy products from milk restriction if imported from the states? Could be why this American cheese is not sold there. If Canada doesn't produce it.

By me the yellow version doesn't sell.... so most offer just the white in our deli's.

Of course ..... Canada better and best. America bad and worst.....

Old 11-09-2018, 09:27 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
I think people are overstating the climate /weather factor. You can't eat sunshine. I don't think many would argue with a straight face that the average person in Mississippi has a higher standard of living and/or quality of life than the average person in Minnesota, eh? And parts of Canada are much more comfortable weather-wise than Minnesota is.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:00 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I think people are overstating the climate /weather factor. You can't eat sunshine. I don't think many would argue with a straight face that the average person in Mississippi has a higher standard of living and/or quality of life than the average person in Minnesota, eh? And parts of Canada are much more comfortable weather-wise than Minnesota is.
Very few people would say that Mississippi has a desirable climate (and it's not particularly sunny; a city like Jacksonville gets fewer sunshine hours than Boise, Idaho, or Wichita, Kansas), so no, the climate in Mississippi doesn't do anything to raise the QOL.

And by "comfortable parts of Canada" you mean the southwest corner of BC, right? Its climate is not that much to write home about either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.