Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
My Europe comment was reference to the fact that San Francisco is a Eurocentric city, plain and simple. My point in saying that San Francisco is overrated is because as the fourth most important city in the United States (arguable) everyone is always saying how much there is to offer, but how can you be a "world class" city and not have something for everyone? Just how am I supposed to praise a city that has nothing for me to do?
Nothing to do in the SF bay area? Good thing most ppl and millions of visitors don't share that mentality.

Wait, aren't you that same dude who thinks Houston's nightlife is superior to NY city's?

I guess any city that has density can seem eurocentric to some density deficit Houstoners. It does feel like one is visiting Europe after dealing with all that sprawl.

Last edited by person; 06-08-2007 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 11:20 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
My point in saying that San Francisco is overrated is because as the fourth most important city in the United States (arguable) everyone is always saying how much there is to offer, but how can you be a "world class" city and not have something for everyone? Just how am I supposed to praise a city that has nothing for me to do?

when people named Houston as an underrated city with not much to do you jumped all over them stating they came determined not to be happy or not knowing where to look. yet it's ok for you to use that same argument when speaking of SF?

as you yourself said, every city is not for everyone. but apparently if houston is one of those cities, we're "ignorant".

Old 06-08-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
when people named Houston as an underrated city with not much to do you jumped all over them stating they came determined not to be happy or not knowing where to look. yet it's ok for you to use that same argument when speaking of SF?

as you yourself said, every city is not for everyone. but apparently if houston is one of those cities, we're "ignorant".
There is a little difference though. SF has the stamp of tourism to prove its impressiveness.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:52 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francowell View Post
hello mpope409

It's not that there is nothing for you to do, but rather that you choose NOT to do the things that ARE available.

best wishes.....Franco
Please, okay. I lead a full life, I love getting out and doing things that I'm not expected to do, trying things I've never tried, but I also like to be able to do the things I love and talk to people who have the same interests as me. I've expanded my horizons my entire life, but I also like to be within my comfort zone. San Francisco just did not do that for me.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Nothing to do in the SF bay area? Good thing most ppl and millions of visitors don't share that mentality.
Never said there was nothing to do. I said there was nothing for me to do. San Francisco has few alternatives. Neither catered to me.

Quote:
Wait, aren't you that same dude who thinks Houston's nightlife is superior to NY city's?
This is no dude.

Quote:
I guess any city that has density can seem eurocentric to some density deficit Houstoners. It does feel like one is visiting Europe after dealing with all that sprawl.
The area of Houston that I live and work in has minimal sprawl so don't tell me what I'm used to. And San Francisco didn't seem Eurocentric, it is Eurocentric. It has very little to do with the build of a city. New York and Chicago are also built dense. They're also somewhat "Euro", but those cities do such a good job of integrating cultures and lifestyles that you would never notice.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

Don't remember saying ignorant, but you're missing the point. Houston's and San Francisco's cons are very different. Houston is one of the three major melting pots in this country. There is something for every race and culture, so whether you like the city or not, that fact, you can't deny. SF, on the other hand, does poorly in that area.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
There is a little difference though. SF has the stamp of tourism to prove its impressiveness.
As does Houston.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:32 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Don't remember saying ignorant, but you're missing the point. Houston's and San Francisco's cons are very different. Houston is one of the three major melting pots in this country. There is something for every race and culture, so whether you like the city or not, that fact, you can't deny. SF, on the other hand, does poorly in that area.
There's more than 3 melting posts in the country. I know NY and LA are listed. But Miami, Chicago, DC, and yes, even San Francisco must be listed.

BUT, I do agree with mpope on San Francisco's black population. Most are found in Hunter's Point. The city itself doesn't have a large black population at all. I'm willing to bet Austin has a larger black population and even they don't have that many. It would be interesting if a black San Franciscan would share what the black population's role is in the city alone. Not the entire Bay Area. I love San Francisco because of it's vibe and it's density as well as the many tourists spots they have. Just wondering what they have to offer when it comes to what Black Americans are looking for such as theatre, soul food, churches and more.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Never said there was nothing to do. I said there was nothing for me to do. San Francisco has few alternatives. Neither catered to me.

This is no dude.

The area of Houston that I live and work in has minimal sprawl so don't tell me what I'm used to. And San Francisco didn't seem Eurocentric, it is Eurocentric. It has very little to do with the build of a city. New York and Chicago are also built dense. They're also somewhat "Euro", but those cities do such a good job of integrating cultures and lifestyles that you would never notice.
I don't know why you want to argue semantics, but since you did, let me rephrase.

Nothing to do in the SF bay area? Good thing most ppl and millions of visitors don't share that mentality. I would take that as a testimony/proof to how much stuff there is to do than one unknown online poster's interpretation.

Wait, aren't you that same girl, woman or lady who thinks Houston's nightlife is superior to NY city's?

I guess any city that has density is eurocentric to density deficit Houstoners. It does feel like one is visiting Europe after dealing with all that lack of density. And even the most dense area like midtown is considered spread out by San Francisco's standards, so don't tell me minimum sprawl is not sprawl.

And eurocentric is a positive thing, so I don't know how saying that "it is" instead of "it seems" makes a case for less impressiveness. if NY and Chicago is somewhat euro too, it makes a stronger case.

Integrating cultures and lifestyles? I have lived in both(not just visited) places, San Francisco is diverse and well integrated culturally, compare that to Houston which is diverse but pretty self segregated for a city this diverse. That subject of culture is very subjective, but many folks would agree that that San Francisco's is more vibrant than Houston's.

Last edited by person; 06-08-2007 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-08-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There's more than 3 melting posts in the country. I know NY and LA are listed. But Miami, Chicago, DC, and yes, even San Francisco must be listed.
Well New York, Los Angeles, and Houston are the major ones. Chicago should probably be named as well. DC and Miami not as much. They're probably as diverse as Dallas or Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.