Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:56 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
That map does not depict the South. It's depicting the Sunbelt.

Make up your mind. Is northern VA southern or not?

You're lying, Vasinger.
No, I'm certainly not. Of course the people I know from Georgia are from the Atlanta Metro Area.

Richmond is more like the Old South.

Northern Virginia used to be the South, now I would say its a transitional area.

Can't we just go with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 01:17 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringgold View Post
One of the reasons DC is located at were its at today is becasue many people in the revolution days wanted to make the south happy and feel more included. They called it a southern city. I think because it is sandwiched inbetween a northern state and a southern state we should think of it as a neutral city.
What are you talking about?

Do you not realize that Maryland was a slave state at the time of the founding of D.C.? So, the capital was meant to be put in the south, because the south payed off most of their Revolutionary War debts (Virginia was the most populous and wealthiest colony/state at the time).

It had nothing to do with making the south happy and "feel more included". It was placed geographically in the middle though, but in the middle of two southern states.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:22 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,043 times
D.C. is neither southern or northern, it's a transplant area because people from all over the country and world move in and out of here constantly due to the nature of politics and business.

And honestly, being MidAtlantic is not bad. Why does everything have to be Northern or Southern? The Midatlantic has the best of both your worlds. As well as the crap from both of your worlds.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:39 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,726 times
I can't believe there's even a thread for this. DC is a northeastern city. Naturally when you border another region, there are other influences, but to even have this debate is amazing to me.

What is was in the 18th Century is irrelevant.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:53 AM

30 posts, read 182,703 times
This debate always come from people from VA who want a part of DC... DC is mid-atlantic-northeastern...
The original mid-atlantic NY NJ PA MD DE...DC is inside of MD

Old 08-30-2007, 07:59 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53rdSEDCBOY View Post
This debate always come from people from VA who want a part of DC... DC is mid-atlantic-northeastern...
The original mid-atlantic NY NJ PA MD DE...DC is inside of MD
Actually that is where you are wrong. D.C. is a square that encompasses both Maryland and Virginia.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times
I stand corrected then about the actual city limits. But I thought the D.C. metro iarea included Alexandria and Arlington?

Old 08-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
D.C. is neither southern or northern, it's a transplant area because people from all over the country and world move in and out of here constantly due to the nature of politics and business.

And honestly, being MidAtlantic is not bad. Why does everything have to be Northern or Southern? The Midatlantic has the best of both your worlds. As well as the crap from both of your worlds.
Because the Mid-Alantic is really NY, PA, DE, and NJ.

The true Northeast is really New England. New York and PA are large states that take up a lot of Northeast, so by the time you reach DC you really in the South-Atlantic states.

Virginia ain't Mid-Atlantic, but I've heard states as far South as South Carolina Mid-Atlantic.

Has the North moved South?

Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Because the Mid-Alantic is really NY, PA, DE, and NJ.

The true Northeast is really New England. New York and PA are large states that take up a lot of Northeast, so by the time you reach DC you really in the South-Atlantic states.

Virginia ain't Mid-Atlantic, but I've heard states as far South as South Carolina Mid-Atlantic.

Has the North moved South?
The Midatlantic is really - NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, and DC imo. NOVA seems very midatlantic, but most of VA is southern, DC and MD are not southern (imo)

Old 08-30-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
The Midatlantic is really - NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, and DC imo. NOVA seems very midatlantic, but most of VA is southern, DC and MD are not southern (imo)
Then I believe the North has moved South. I have heard North Carolina called Mid-Atlantic too.

On most maps, though, VA is listed with the Southeast or South Atlantic (as it should be). Maryland is Mid-Atlantic.

On some maps VA is listed as the Northeast. .....

Looking at the map Virginia is definitely not in the Northeastern part of the country . Then Kentucky (which is parellel to VA) is included with the Southeast. I just don't get that one. If they have Kentucky, then they should have Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.