Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 02:41 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thats the most intelligent remark thats been made on this thread.
One supposes that the posters that are seeming to support incest are just getting their jollies.
The jollies don't happen by talking about incest, but...

Old 12-24-2010, 02:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The jollies don't happen by talking about incest, but...
You sure about that?

Old 12-24-2010, 02:58 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thats the most intelligent remark thats been made on this thread.
One supposes that the posters that are seeming to support incest are just getting their jollies.
Hooray, it seems as though I have won your approval with my post. Merry Christmas! Everyone!

Old 12-24-2010, 03:04 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,055 times
Yes, there are studies that prove that incest does cause many illnesses.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:09 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,816,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Yup.
proof

Old 12-26-2010, 12:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Only in chronic examples, several generations over, and over, and over again.

But one offs aren't any more likely to have disorders or defects than any other child.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:32 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,203,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
It is taboo because we as a society collective agree that it makes us sick to our stomachs and that it should not happen. There is nothing wrong with everyone agreeing that it is disgusting, no matter how much people want to think they are being oppressed. At the end of the day, this is very much a part of what morality is about. When most people agree on it, you can call something immoral and be done with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Look at what we do to bosses who put pressure on their subordinates for sexual favors. We do so because we presume the relationship of superior to the subordinate places unfair (to say the least) pressure on the person harassed. Just imagine how much greater an advantage a parent can hold over a child, even a child of majority age. (The notion of sex with ANY child by an adult is too gruesome to even contemplate. I sincerely hope we can agree on that.)

Look: Some things just don't pass the smell test. Incest is universally accepted as one of them. Case closed.
I suspect these are the types of people who'd have said the same about relations between Catholics and Protestants, or Irish and Italians, or blacks and whites.

If the argument is that incest should be illegal because it produces genetic deformities, that's fine. But then what's the logic behind prosecuting sexual acts that don't lead to pregnancy? What about homosexual incest, why would that be illegal as long as it's between consenting adults? What about relationships between two people who both share a predisposition towards a certain ailment, should those be illegal?

Thinking something is icky is not a rational basis for arguing that the law should be involved in it. That's how you get dumb things like miscegenation laws. Let's not tread down already refuted paths.

PS, the words "natural and "unnatural" are meaningless in modern human society and have been appropriated by the intellectually deficient in order to lend credence to their lazy arguments. Anyone who argues that something is better or worse because it's natural or unnatural is committing the Fallacy of Naturalism for one, and loses off the bat. Secondly, human society is inherently unnatural. Monogomous marriage is unnatural, nuclear fission is unnatural, flight is unnatural. The advantage of the human race is that we are able to use our mental faculties to override our natural instincts and produce outstanding results. As far as nature is concerned, we should still be living in cave chucking feces at one another.

Last edited by Hoarfrost; 12-26-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-26-2010, 03:37 PM

880 posts, read 2,025,509 times
Einstein divorced his wife and married his first cousin

Old 12-26-2010, 04:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

If the argument is that incest should be illegal because it produces genetic deformities, that's fine. But then what's the logic behind prosecuting sexual acts that don't lead to pregnancy? What about homosexual incest ...?
... when I was about 11 my older brother (age 14) tried to teach me about masturbation. I wonder if that counts as incest? I didn't need to learn it from him, as I already figured out how to do it on my own a few months before. Now the guy is a distinguished college professor, married with two grown kids.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:14 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,811,314 times
Anyone who seeks out an incest relationship is disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates