Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 02:24 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Yes, but attraction is not conditioning. Attraction is instinctual, and most people do not have the instinct to be attracted to a family member.
I don't think it's that so much as it is that most people won't admit it.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I don't think it's morally wrong unless you reproduce or it involves an age differential. Also i think parent-child romantic relationships are wrong no matter what.

I find it nasty though!
Maybe for some it's the nastiness and forbidden that appeals.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:27 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
I dated a girl from Kentucky (beautiful horses, fast women) years ago who introduced me to a couple at a family event. She said: "my cousins Kim & Jerry, they're married to each other . . . " I admit I was taken aback a little and then Kim said: "its legal we looked it up . . . ."

I guess they were second cousins.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,426,871 times
As long as it's not a child-adult relationship, I have no major objections. But I do find it disgusting and creepy.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
Societal taboos aside, I still do not think it's a natural order for parent-child sex and reproduction. I don't think any ANIMALS do, either.

And while there have been exceptions (usually through brain-washing), I'm inclined to think that the last man that any girl in the world dreams about losing their virginity to is her father.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Societal taboos aside, I still do not think it's a natural order for parent-child sex and reproduction. I don't think any ANIMALS do, either.

And while there have been exceptions (usually through brain-washing), I'm inclined to think that the last man that any girl in the world dreams about losing their virginity to is her father.
I agree with that. Typically it's siblings. Which animals do... err... do.

Humans have this wonderful ability to destroy themselves by pretending to be better than they are.

That's why I'm a robot.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:15 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post

Animals do not practice any birth control. Animals mate only to reproduce. Because the offspring may have disabilities that do not ensure survival of the species.
Humans have sex for pleasure as well as to reproduce. Pleasure, lust, experimentation, or whatever.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,547 times
There is a linguistic problem here in that we have one term “incest” for a whole range of things. Clearly sex between a father and his teen daughter is on a different moral plane of inquiry than cousins or siblings of equal ages.

I personally see nothing wrong with incest per se, with the aforementioned caveats that we would apply to any kind of sex where one person is somehow taking advantage of power over another. As another user mentioned, we have certain taboos against superior to the subordinate sexual relations.

If two equal people such as siblings or cousins who are consenting adults want to explore their relationship sexually however then that is not for me to comment on. I can see no argument against it.

However I would venture one warning against it, rather than a moral argument against it. Sex changes relationships. Many of us know this from experience when we have engaged in it with a best friend and the awkwardness the next morning left the friendship damaged beyond repair.

The world is full of potential mates and friends, so although losing a friend due to a relationship changed by sex is tragic, it is not as tragic as it could be.

Family relationships are rare. We only have 2 real parents. Most of us will only have a small number of cousins and siblings. Relative to the number of potential friendships in the world the number of potential family members is massively smaller and almost non-existent in terms of percentages.

In other words sibling and parental relationships are something rare and that we will never have again. If one wishes to risk changing beyond repair that rare and special relationship into one that you can have with anyone else at all on the planet, then I hope that they have thoroughly thought through the consequences of that before they do so. Once a sister, for example, becomes a sexual partner… getting back to a relationship where she is just your sister again will be exceedingly difficult and for some impossible.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:41 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Animals do not practice any birth control. Animals mate only to reproduce. Because the offspring may have disabilities that do not ensure survival of the species.
Humans have sex for pleasure as well as to reproduce. Pleasure, lust, experimentation, or whatever.
Oh, I think the animals do it for sex, too. It's where the term "being in heat" originates from. I was raised on a farm. Animal behaviors can be very lusty.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
"Why is incest wrong?"

Because God says so, and He makes the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates