Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 07:48 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
This is ridiculous. A. I don't understand why you take issue with these people massacring their colonial masters. If you (general you) attempted to come and take over my neighborhood, initiate slave labor, etc, you can be dam sure that you would receive a cap in your ass.

Any way, Haiti has been colonialized so many times. Colonialization aka subjugation always leads to violence. If you don't like it, than don't subjugate.

I don't understand why you think that a nation founded as a colony is doomed to perpetual failure. You said, about Haiti, "colonization in, crap out" meaning that since they have a colonial legacy/history, they are doomed to always be crap. That is just a cop-out to excuse their failure to amount to anything.

They DESTROYED the colonial nature of their society/nation when they killed the colonists.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
This is ridiculous. A. I don't understand why you take issue with these people massacring their colonial masters. If you (general you) attempted to come and take over my neighborhood, initiate slave labor, etc, you can be dam sure that you would receive a cap in your ass.

Any way, Haiti has been colonialized so many times. Colonialization aka subjugation always leads to violence. If you don't like it, than don't subjugate.

One of the bands of rebel slaves in Haiti used a White infant, impaled on a spear, as their battle banner. Was that White infant a colonial master who was actively oppressing them?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
I don't understand why you think that a nation founded as a colony is doomed to perpetual failure. You said, about Haiti, "colonization in, crap out" meaning that since they have a colonial legacy/history, they are doomed to always be crap. That is just a cop-out to excuse their failure to amount to anything.
No not really. You're not understanding. What I am saying is that subjagation results in violence every time. Will the people of Haiti be able to recover from the horror brought to them by european colonialization? I don't know. Hopefully they will. To act surprised about it is a little batty.

Quote:
They DESTROYED the colonial nature of their society/nation when they killed the colonists.
Which time? and what's 'colonial nature'?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
No not really. You're not understanding. What I am saying is that subjagation results in violence every time. Will the people of Haiti be able to recover from the horror brought to them by european colonialization? I don't know. Hopefully they will. To act surprised about it is a little batty.

Did the Italian people recover from the Fall of the Roman Empire or did they just spend thousands of years griping and demanding reparations?

Japan recovered from having been subjected to two nuclear attacks which came after a three year long bombing campaign that saw their cities totally destroyed, within about twenty years. How long will it take the people in Haiti to recover from things that happened 210 years ago?

If aliens came down from space and were told about nuclear weapons and of their potential power (assuming they didn't already know), I am sure they would find it hard to believe that Japan was subjected to two such weapons while Haiti was subjected to zero.

A country is a reflection of the people that comprise the country. I don't expect Haiti will ever amount to anything unless the nature of the country (i.e. the people the country is comprised of) changes.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:49 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,287,222 times
When you said "nuclear" my mind said "atomic". I thought they were intrinsically different? When I looked in wikipedia, it stated The atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were nuclear attacks near the end of World War II. My bad for thinking you were mistaken on what you said.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:49 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
What happened to the days when my friends and I could all poke fun at one another on matters of race? When did we get so serious? I've got friends of all races and we would tease one another about stereotypes and joke around with another without anyone getting insulted or trying to figure out what was meant by any of it. It was just all around fun. Now the mere mention of race gets everyone stirred up in this country. Now that folks like Sharpton can cash in on it, and threaten corporations with boycotts, he not only has influence over sponsors of TV and radio, he also commits racial blackmail to companies who don't make donations to his "foundation".

I swear there were less problems in the workplace during the 80's without all of the diversity training and constant harping on race relations. I worked with many blacks and hispanics back then and we got along fine without someone telling us how much we supposedly hate one another and how we should act around one another. At some point we all have to move forward, but we won't if we keep debating the evils of slavery, life prior to the civil rights movement, and diversity training, all of which just tightens the tension around us, rather than heel old wounds...only time can do that.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Did the Italian people recover from the Fall of the Roman Empire or did they just spend thousands of years griping and demanding reparations?
The Roman Empire? lol You don't know about Haitian history, do you? And you certainly don't see to be generally aware of eurpean history. Haiti was occupied in the 20th century, not 2,000 years ago. You aren't making any sense.

Quote:
Japan recovered from having been subjected to two nuclear attacks which came after a three year long bombing campaign that saw their cities totally destroyed, within about twenty years. How long will it take the people in Haiti to recover from things that happened 210 years ago?
Again, learn your history. Japan was not colonialized by europeans, nor were they made as slaves. Bombing a city and destroying a city and culture are two very different things. Frankly, it's sad that so many Americans of euro decent are ignorant of their own history let alone their own country's influence.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,287,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Everyone knows racism--White against Black--is alive and well, and most agree, it's wrong and we've had our say against it at every opportunity, publicly and in private conversation. But it's also very true that things have changed significantly for the better and continue to do so. Case in point, the countless Black public figures who have made their own way whom even Whites line up to see, movies, concerts, tv, politicians, etc. But for decades I've witnessed more reverse racism than I ever have 'racism', and a far more aggressive form of racism than in recent years, yet, little to nothing is spoken of it. Why is that?

There appears to be a growing attitude toward all Whites that they're the cause of all failures of Blacks who are unhappy with their lives. What happened to taking responsibility for ourselves, our actions, our failures? That's how we learn from them and keep ourselves from repeating them. Passing the blame to others does nothing but set us up for further failure.

In my perspective, most of the current 'racism' isn't 'racism' as such, but that many are tired of being blamed for the racisms and slavery of the past and tired of Blacks feeling the need to bring up the color of their skin in every conversation on tv as if Whites care about that. Most don't. It's more about being fed up with excuses and blame than racism.
My, how we have strayed from the OP's original post.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
My, how we have strayed from the OP's original post.
It all seems to fall under the umbrella of bigotry. It hasn't strayed too far.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,570 times
I'm not even sure what 'reverse racism' is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates