Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 01:10 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I never said Africa was the only continent that was ever invade. I said it was treated WORSE than any other continent. That was the point I was trying to make. It was invaded and colonized WORSE.
No, that's not true. Other countries were treated just as badly and have recovered better than the countries of Africa. India and Vietnam come to mind.

- Reel

Old 07-16-2009, 01:15 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
No, that's not true. Other countries were treated just as badly and have recovered better than the countries of Africa. India and Vietnam come to mind.

- Reel
I said not other CONTINENT was taken advantage of as long and as harshly as Africa. India and Vietnam were colonised for a relatively short amount of time and both places didn't have the same things happen. Slaves were not dragged out of India for years upon years nor did it happen to Vietnam. India and Vietnam were treated like crap, that is true. India had alot of internal struggle and still has internal problems to this day. Vietnam is still poor.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I said not other CONTINENT was taken advantage of as long and as harshly as Africa. India and Vietnam were colonised for a relatively short amount of time and both places didn't have the same things happen. Slaves were not dragged out of India for years upon years nor did it happen to Vietnam. India and Vietnam were treated like crap, that is true. India had alot of internal struggle and still has internal problems to this day. Vietnam is still poor.
Oh, now its slavery that's the cause of Africa's lack of development. Is that what you're saying? Here in the US they say its because the black folks are the decendents of slaves. There are few decendents of slaves from the slave trade days in Africa.

No, folks weren't dragged out of Vietnam to be slaves. They were just killed!

- Reel

Old 07-16-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, now its slavery that's the cause of Africa's lack of development. Is that what you're saying? Here in the US they say its because the black folks are the decendents of slaves. There are few decendents of slaves from the slave trade days in Africa.

No, folks weren't dragged out of Vietnam to be slaves. They were just killed!

- Reel
I didn't say that was the sole cause. It was a combination of factors. Go read some books on Africa's history, then ask me if any other continent had that many things happen at one time?
People were killed in Africa, and in North America too.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that was the sole cause. It was a combination of factors. Go read some books on Africa's history, then ask me if any other continent had that many things happen at one time?
People were killed in Africa, and in North America too.
There is just no way that all of the things that you cite that have happened in the past explains the current lack of development in Africa today. There simply has to be something else going on.

- Reel

Old 07-16-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
There is just no way that all of the things that you cite that have happened in the past explains the current lack of development in Africa today. There simply has to be something else going on.

- Reel
Really? Are you trying to say that people in Africa are somehow inferior? if you are, I am here to say, you are wrong.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Really? Are you trying to say that people in Africa are somehow inferior? if you are, I am here to say, you are wrong.
I don't think inferior is the right word. You seem to imply that I think the black race is overall inferior to other races. I think everyone is equal, as you say, in their own way. Certainly all people are equal in the eyes of God. Perhaps a better way to put it would be better at some things and not as good at other things. The average IQ of people in Africa south of the Sahara is about 70. The average IQ of people in Western Europe and the US is about 100. I'm not saying that is good or bad. It just is.

- Reel

Old 07-16-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I don't think inferior is the right word. You seem to imply that I think the black race is overall inferior to other races. I think everyone is equal, as you say, in their own way. Certainly all people are equal in the eyes of God. Perhaps a better way to put it would be better at some things and not as good at other things. The average IQ of people in Africa south of the Sahara is about 70. The average IQ of people in Western Europe and the US is about 100. I'm not saying that is good or bad. It just is.

- Reel
I know that the overall IQ of people in SubSaharan Africa is lower, but have you ever thought of why that is?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:31 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
In development terms India is below Namibia and Botswana. The more advanced cities might give one an inaccurate picture.

Statistics | Human Development Reports (HDR) | United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)

There are other differences too. Many Europeans deemed Asians to be better equipped for "clerical" work like secretaries or whatever. That may have allowed for more in the way of "civil society." In addition African countries had much more in the way of tropical diseases. Besides sapping some strength it, and certain other natural barriers, left them comparatively isolated from other civilizations. Lastly most African nations are artificial creations of colonials whereas India or Vietnam at least represented some kind of cultural reality. (Although Botswana and Namibia being far more successful than Ethiopia or Swaziland somewhat negates this last issue)

Old 07-16-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I know that the overall IQ of people in SubSaharan Africa is lower, but have you ever thought of why that is?
Like so many things, I'm sure there are multiple contributing factors.

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates