Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 AM

68 posts, read 138,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Richmond itself is a dump. There's not a single part of Greensboro I wouldn't feel safe walking at night (and I've been walking in all of them), and Winston & High Point, particular, have just a few sketchy areas. Richmond has large swathes of neighborhoods where one simply should not go, and the city itself falls within the top 20 in most statistical analyses of dangerous cities in the US.

Richmond metro is another story.

Ehh, Richmonds crime is nothing compared to what it was in the 80s and 90s. Its nicer now. It probably still gets more of a dump reputation from back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 02:51 AM

"And what you forget is that Greensboro also has Hanes Mall, because it's just a 30-minute drive at most from any part of town."

So? Winston Salem is bigger than Richmond for lords sakes and only has 1 mall. Granted its the 2nd largest in the state, but only 1 in the entire city? LMAO And not even an open air center.

There is a good size mall just south in Petersburg that serves that region, but Im not counting that. Im counting Richmond city, which makes Greensboro look like mayberry in terms of large shopping choices.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 AM

"Malls are not a definitive sign of vibrant retail activity, and the shopping mall has been dying a slow death nationwide for 30 years."

Only somebody from Greensboro would say this to account for the fact that you have the biggest joke of a city for shopping. Malls are primarily dying in some small towns and cities, not in medium or large cities as a whole. Just because your POS city only has 1 mall in a 260,000 population area shouldnt delude yourself to think that most cities your size has malls that are dying LOL.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:03 AM

Some malls in small cities are seeing their main anchors move out to regular shopping centers. Thats a big part of why they might be dying. Their mall is the only game in town. But Greensboro is way, way too huge in comparison to the small cities like that.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 AM

231 posts, read 713,219 times
You're right!
I had no idea I was discussing this with an expert of commercial retail development.
My apologies. You clearly know more about this subject than thousands of developers.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:12 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
I'm wondering why we're even trying to argue with someone who thinks Dillards and Macy's are high end shopping. Maybe our friend should get out of the malls and spend some time shopping in Triad stores like Nitza's, La Cache, or one of the many designer furniture shops in High Point.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
I've been out here for a week.. And Winston-Salem, IMO, lacks in pretty much anything to do.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:18 AM

231 posts, read 713,219 times
I go to Atlanta quite often, which seems to have more malls than people. When I'm looking for shopping choices there - especially "high-end" - I rarely think of going to Lenox or Phipps or Perimeter.

Let's be honest, there's nothing in a mall that can't be bought at less than half the price online.

There's more to shopping than malls, and there's more to life than shopping.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
I go to Atlanta quite often, which seems to have more malls than people. When I'm looking for shopping choices there - especially "high-end" - I rarely think of going to Lenox or Phipps or Perimeter.
What is your definition of "high-end"??

Quote:
Let's be honest, there's nothing in a mall that can't be bought at less than half the price online.
That's not necessarily true. Many items that you find in stores cannot be bought online at all. This holds true especially for clothing.

I love shopping at edgy boutique shops and putting together an outfit that separates myself. But that's just me. So, I am really in hell in W/S and I am relegated to "internet digging"..

Quote:
There's more to shopping than malls, and there's more to life than shopping.
I agree 100%

Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM

Macys and Dillards isnt too high end, but it is certaintly high end compared to the likes of JC Penny and Belks in North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point