Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you spend that extra day with?
Friend 10 7.58%
Lover 16 12.12%
Family 106 80.30%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:00 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,957,114 times

Advertisements

I think I'd pick the first person who was close to me who died -- my paternal grandmother. She died when I was 8 years old and it was a terrible trauma for me at the time. It has been nearly 46 years and I still think of her often. In many ways, her death affected me more than any others since, because it was the first and I wasn't really prepared for it. I would love to have a little time to get to know her better and tell her how much I have missed her. From what I know of her life, I have turned out to be more like her than any of her 8 other grandchildren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 11:43 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,578,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Sorry, Mom and Dad, but I would choose my husband. I miss every single thing about him and US.
I would, too. My mom died when I was young, and I don't really remember her. My step-mother was really my mom from the time I was about 12. She and my dad died just a few months apart right when we adopted our youngest child, Andrew. Life and Death within 2 months. Still, though. I had a lifetime with my parents. Not enough time with my husband. I'm still so deeply, completely in love with him. My biggest fear is that when I get the chance to finally see him again, he'll have been reincarnated as a newborn baby...

Old 10-11-2016, 03:46 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,205,954 times
I would not pick a family member or a friend. Those relationship were clear when those people died, and a day would not change years. I would pick someone whom I did not know very well, but who left an impression on me.

It might be Mrs. Balmer, the elderly high school English teacher, often mocked by students, who opened so many doors to the world for me. I never knew her personally and I would like even a brief chance.

Dr. Bro, the professor of the two semesters of a World Religions course in college. It was magnificently presented, so much so that it remains more than a half century later the most valuable course I took in college.

Annie, a distant cousin in Ireland, whom I knew briefly in the late Sixties. She was literally a peasant, but a woman with an impressive mind and a powerful personality.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:15 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,986,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
I chose friend and was shocked to see that this group is in the minority. When I read the post I immediately thought of my best friend from school. I'm close with the other two, but there's something about a close friend relationship. We told each other things we would never tell family or lovers. So, don't feel left out; I'm here...
I'm in that minority, too. Mostly because I wasn't very close to my grandparents, was estranged from my dad, and my mom is (thankfully) still alive.

I would spend a day with one of my best friends from high school, who died of cancer at age 29. He had just spent a week visiting (we lived on opposite coasts) less than a year before he died, and he went quickly. I barely heard the news he was sick, and then he was gone.

I think of him often, and wonder what sort of person he would be today (30 years later). I do know we'd still be great friends, and that's what I miss....

Old 10-13-2016, 06:06 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
I would spend it with my mother, who died when I was 12. I have seen pictures of her life, before my parents were married, and she was beautiful and had cute clothes. I ve heard stories of how she got on a train from Massachusetts to California in 1942, to marry my father. When she was in her 20s, she traveled with her girlfriends and had a lot of fun.
I would like to talk to her, woman to woman.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:07 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,702,180 times
my grandfather who I still miss and a special dog I lost way to soon.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:13 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,332,432 times
well, G Grasshopper, I appreciate your input and your opinion.
I was not meaning to put a wet blanket on anyone...I'm a realist and even though I would love to see my son again just to tell him I love him... Reality tells me it's not gonna happen. The 16 years I had with him were it.
But for those who enjoy fantasy, have at it!

Old 10-15-2016, 02:34 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,107,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
well, G Grasshopper, I appreciate your input and your opinion.
I was not meaning to put a wet blanket on anyone...I'm a realist and even though I would love to see my son again just to tell him I love him... Reality tells me it's not gonna happen. The 16 years I had with him were it.
But for those who enjoy fantasy, have at it!

My comments were not meant to minimize in any way your loss, Maggie Z. Everyone has their own way of coping. If this thread doesn't work for you, I respect that. My best to you.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:15 PM

2,037 posts, read 3,355,638 times
My mom, no doubt about it. As we aged, she grew to be my best friend, and i spoke with her by phone every day - saw her at least once every 7-10 days.

I still miss her and it's been over 10 yrs since she passed. I AM her lol. Would love to have a day, or a meal, with her again. Love you and miss you mommy.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:44 AM

74 posts, read 63,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
If you had one extra day to spend with one person who has passed away, would it be Family or friend?

Lover?

I would spend that day with an old man, an old friend of mine but it would be a hard thing to choose especially how much I miss my sister, my Dad and my grandparents. It was way worse when my grandfathers died cause they were the air I breathed.

I think I would choose a friend though, and that seems so strange, doesn't it?

Which one would you choose?

I was just curious which one would get more votes.
My father. He was a great guy who enjoyed life to the fullest, and touched the hearts and was pretty much embraced by all who knew him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning