Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:53 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times

Advertisements

Somewhere in this world Gary Busey is whipping a tear from his eye reading that his native Baytown will soon be one, I mean two shorter than it was.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 07:32 PM

323 posts, read 346,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1964 View Post
So.
Again, I want to thank everyone for all their great advice when my son and I were preparing to move down here. The short version is, you were all right.

Baytown is a pretty hard-scrabble, blue collar town. You can't deny the existence of a certain thug mentality here, especially with regards to driving habits. And air quality is a real challenge.

That being said, however, as one poster noted, there are some beautiful, verdant areas here and some very desirable older neighborhoods. You just have to get out and look. When you do you'll notice there are a number of neighborhoods that are quite livable.

Healthcare is robust and actually highly rated for the region. I have no complaints in this area.

Overall, thugs not excepted, the people here are truly wonderful. They are open-hearted and so very welcoming. The civic quarter of the population is working very hard at revitalizing the downtown and it shows, It's easy to predict that downtown Baytown will be a free-choice destination regionally in the next year or so. It's worth a visit now. AND, believe it or not, there is a permanent ice-rink installation that is open through the holiday months. Brand new. And pretty cool. You can find a video on the City of Baytown's website from the Christmas parade for flavor.

Lee College, the area's 2-year community college, seems to be invested in supporting the arts in the area and bringing entertainers like Asleep At The Wheel into town.

At the end of the day, however, the Goose Creek Consolidated Independent School District just falls short. At least that has been our experience so far. And I understand it's not fair to judge a whole system by one, isolated experience. But as a parent, I have no choice. (Travis Elementary was a dismal experience). We will be in private school until we decide what our next move will be. I am blessed that I have the means to put my child into a private school environment. Many here, do not.

So, at the end of the day, it's a mixed bag. For my part, as a single mom and concerned about my son's future and his health, as of this writing our intent is to move. The two primary deciding factors are air quality and the public school system. For anyone reading this looking for guidance as to whether or not to move here and buy a home, I hope this has helped.
EXCELLENT and objective opinion. Many of us who have grown up there and left, tend to be jaded and distance ourselves and for me, that lends to passionately negative posts about Baytown. It's hard not to be after seeing how the better half lives. But your post is awesome. Well done in making a fair and unbiased assessment of the town and for sharing it with others. I hope it helps those thinking of moving to Baytown.

Well done!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:23 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Baytown has a really nice bridge.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:29 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
You know I really think every area, even those that people shun and often not because of experience but because of their perceived idea of that area, has something to offer. The op found some pros and cons in Baytown and that's a fair assessment. There are people there who are happy living in that area and those who hate it. Every area has to have some redeeming qualities or nobody would live there. Those qualities may not be for everyone but for some -- those qualities make it comfortable to live there.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:55 AM

167 posts, read 248,120 times
Baytown is booming!!

Old 02-06-2016, 09:05 AM

61 posts, read 101,066 times
Default Baytown IS booming

While the oil production and service industries are struggling and lay offs ramp up, the petrochemical industry is booming. Refineries can't fill jobs fast enough. And these are good jobs, many paying six figures to start with a two year degree. All in Baytown.

Anyone interested in more information can go to the CCPI website to investigate: How to Launch a Petrochemical Career in Gulf Coast TX | TGCCCC

Two year degrees with entry-level salaries starting as high as $100K and higher. TO START!

When I read that, I had to check it out for myself. And it's true. I've worked in my field for thirty years now and have just hit that mark.

So yes. Baytown IS booming. And thanks to community colleges like Lee College and the industries that hire their graduates -- is a great career and life choice for many.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:07 AM

Texas7, Agreed.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post
EXCELLENT and objective opinion. Many of us who have grown up there and left, tend to be jaded and distance ourselves and for me, that lends to passionately negative posts about Baytown. It's hard not to be after seeing how the better half lives. But your post is awesome. Well done in making a fair and unbiased assessment of the town and for sharing it with others. I hope it helps those thinking of moving to Baytown.

Well done!
Thank you!

And objectivity is hard when you're a product of a place. I get that. Your opinions are formed, often, by strong emotions that can drive anyone to love or hate a place. Because "place" is not just geography and architecture. It is defined by the people that congregate there and how they interact with one another -- how they choose to define themselves -- that becomes the amalgam of the "place." The flavor of which can be very difficult to purge if bitter.

But, at the end of the day, where we are from informs who we are and where we're headed. For better or for worse.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Somewhere in this world Gary Busey is whipping a tear from his eye reading that his native Baytown will soon be one, I mean two shorter than it was.

Well, Gary Busey basically ran over me once at a party in Dallas years ago. Apologized by way of flinging cigar ashes all over the place while making sure I didn't topple over. Communicated with a series of grunts and a wink then literally fled the scene. Somehow, I think he might reserve his tear whipping for others.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:54 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1964 View Post
Well, Gary Busey basically ran over me once at a party in Dallas years ago. Apologized by way of flinging cigar ashes all over the place while making sure I didn't topple over. Communicated with a series of grunts and a wink then literally fled the scene. Somehow, I think he might reserve his tear whipping for others.

Is that a true story ? If it is all I have to say is , one: That's what you get for "partying" in Dallas. And Two: Gary probably feels terrible about what happened that night

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston