Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:46 PM

61 posts, read 100,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
Chevron plant is no more than 3 miles from Mont Belvieu.
Clear Lake is over 50% white. GCCISD is 50% Hispanic.
Just depends on what you mean by culturally diverse I guess.
Again, you are free to assess as you please. Your experience is your own. As mine, is mine. Clear Lake might very well be 50% white. But the other 50% balances them out nicely. The folks from the UK and Norway that I referenced, are indeed white. But they are certainly not from around here. Hence, the difference in perspective. That's for sure. And culture is not the same as ethnicity.

Communities are fluid. As are data piles. Data can be aggregated and disaggregated in a variety of ways. It's a place to start, but in the end, I form my own, albeit qualified, opinion. And I lived about a quarter mile from Exxon. So, by comparison, the Chevron plant is significantly further away from my current home. I don't notice acrid smells like I did the when we lived near the Exxon plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 07:51 AM

125 posts, read 198,448 times
Not trying to change your opinion. This is a message board, so I just wanted to give the full perspective. There are plenty of homes in Baytown that are much farther away from a refinery than any home in Mont Belvieu is.
Clear Lake is majority upper class and white. Baytown has more of a spectrum in terms of income.
Just trying to give aa balanced perspective to the conversation.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:46 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1964 View Post

If you have a children and a spouse and your job brings you to Baytown, and you decide you might want to live elsewhere, League City, Atascocita,Crosby and of course Clear Lake are all strong contenders.
Nice places all, but I see more people moving to Baytown/Mont Belvieu from those places, rather than the other way around. The commute isn't very far, but the traffic on highways like 146 (up from Clear lake & League City) and on 1960 (from Atascocita) makes it a growing challenge to drive from those places every day. The 146 corridor between Baytown and Mont Belvieu is booming.

Anecdotally, plunk a "for rent" sign in front of a home in Mont Belvieu, and with no other advertising, that home will be rented within the day, and possibly within an hour!

Last edited by southeasttexas; 11-06-2016 at 05:20 AM..

Old 11-06-2016, 06:17 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Nice places all, but I see more people moving to Baytown/Mont Belvieu from those places, rather than the other way around. The commute isn't very far, but the traffic on highways like 146 (up from Clear lake & League City) and on 1960 (from Atascocita) makes it a growing challenge to drive from those places every day. The 146 corridor between Baytown and Mont Belvieu is booming.

Anecdotally, plunk a "for rent" sign in front of a home in Mont Belvieu, and with no other advertising, that home will be rented within the day, and possibly within an hour!
That's doubtful. Mont Belvieu is growing fast, yes I agree. And it is highly desirable. But it is still around 5,000 people. League City just surpassed 100,000. That's from 45,000 around 2000. Baytown is growing, too, but not nearly that fast either.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:48 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Quote:
Hi there. I thought I would stop by and submit an update regarding my continuing journey within the experience that is Baytown.
scout1964 this is such a good thread and thanks so much for giving the update on how things turned out! It will help so many people. Your thoughts are so level headed and well thought out. I think I would hire you for any job!

We live in Virginia now but have a lot of experience in the Houston area. You did a great job of capturing the pluses and minuses of Baytown.

I am surprised no one mentioned La Porte. The schools have a better reputation than Goose Creek and there are some pleasant neighborhoods. My in-laws moved to TX in the sixties with the NASA development and specifically chose LaPorte over Clear Lake area for a better representation of diversity. They were in the small Shady River neighborhood in the south part of La Porte.

Anyway thanks again and good look in MB!

Old 11-07-2016, 01:42 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Anyway thanks again and good look in MB!
Good LUCK not LOOK!

Old 11-07-2016, 05:00 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
That's doubtful. Mont Belvieu is growing fast, yes I agree. And it is highly desirable. But it is still around 5,000 people. League City just surpassed 100,000. That's from 45,000 around 2000. Baytown is growing, too, but not nearly that fast either.

You are incorrect about what I see. I work in Mont Belvieu, and my coworkers move TO Mont Belvieu and Baytown. So again, I see more incoming than outgoing, by far. People do not want to drive 146 north from League City and surrounding areas to work in Mont Belvieu or Baytown anymore. Too many stop lights, etc. to contend with. They move north towards I-10, by far.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:58 AM

Two years after the fact -- thanks so much for the feedback and positive comments. Much appreciated.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:53 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Two years after the fact -- thanks so much for the feedback and positive comments. Much appreciated.

Scout1964 it's good to hear from you. How has life in Baytown been so far ? And are you still being haunted by bad memories from your encounter with Gary Bussey ? lol

Old 09-09-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Scout1964 it's good to hear from you. How has life in Baytown been so far ? And are you still being haunted by bad memories from your encounter with Gary Bussey ? lol
Re: haunted by Gary Busey -- only occasionally. But the image of his grumpy, black-leather-clad self chewing on a cigar stump is pretty much seared into my memory. And it's hard not to resent him for that. LOL

And life in Baytown has been a little bumpy with the advent of Harvey. We were flooded as were so many. But, honestly, other than that life is good. There's a new HEB in Mont Belvieu and that has been divine! The area's infrastructure however struggles to keep pace with the rate of growth. That will be a challenge, I would imagine, for at least the next ten years. Of course, in saying that, the I-35 corridor from Dallas to Austin has been a work in progress since at least 1986. So, who knows. But the reality is, when you live within or adjacent to the Houston area, you simply have to find a way to make your peace with the traffic.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston