Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 01:00 PM

323 posts, read 346,511 times

Advertisements

I'm just catching up on this post...as someone who was (unfortunately) born and raised in Baytown, I certainly hope you chose to live in a different area. The town is tired with no real direction and not a place to raise a family. Not a lot of us get out of that town, but for those who do, we stay as far away as possible.

As for restaurants, try Roosters in downtown Baytown. it's been in business for YEARS and is great down home cooking. I would also recommend El Toro - either the location on Bayway Drive or the one on Decker Drive. Luna's isn't bad either.

For breakfast tacos - don't you dare miss C&Ds. You can't beat it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 02:43 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,244,298 times
Something good about Baytown...
I know someone in their mid 30s who works there making $150k per year, cheap near-Cadillac health insurance plan, full benefits, vacation time, etc. Not even a manager.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:30 PM

61 posts, read 101,103 times
Default good money

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Something good about Baytown...
I know someone in their mid 30s who works there making $150k per year, cheap near-Cadillac health insurance plan, full benefits, vacation time, etc. Not even a manager.
Detachable Arm,

There is definitely money to be made in Baytown. I'm in the public sector and near six figures. It's pretty much the epicenter of the petrochemical universe here. The presence of ExxonMobile drives a lot. You don't have to be in the industry to feel the economic impact. That's for sure.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:41 PM

Exclamation Shifting Gears: We've been sick since we got here.

So, I'm really hoping we're just adjusting to new allergens. But we've had some kind of sinus or respiratory infection going almost the entire time we've been here, which has been about six weeks now.
I'm trying not to be alarmed over all the air quality/carcinogenic warnings we got.

That being said does anyone know of a good data source for mapping air quality in the area AND a good allergist?

Appreciate any input!

Old 11-16-2015, 07:21 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1964 View Post
So, I'm really hoping we're just adjusting to new allergens. But we've had some kind of sinus or respiratory infection going almost the entire time we've been here, which has been about six weeks now.
I'm trying not to be alarmed over all the air quality/carcinogenic warnings we got.

That being said does anyone know of a good data source for mapping air quality in the area AND a good allergist?

Appreciate any input!
I'm not saying there is a cancer risk in Baytown but even if there was You didn't get cancer this quick from living there.

I don't know where you came from but you may just need to get used to more pollen in the air and you can find the pollen counts usually on TV weather websites such as khou.com.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:33 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,009,164 times
Allergies are a huge problem all over the greater Houston area. More than half my coworkers suffer from them and they live in all areas of town so don't stress just yet. Medical center ent has good doctors. It's at 59 and Kirby.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,712,073 times
This is a good start:
Ozone Viewer | houstoncleanairnetwork.org
AirNow - Houston-Galveston-Brazoria, TX Air Quality

In Oct/Nov ragweed gets very high, especially along Galveston Bay.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:06 PM

Thanks everyone. Appreciate it.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:11 PM

AND... For the record, really like El Toro, Baytown Seafood and Pipeline Grill so far. I also think we've settled on the Seabrook/League City/El Lago area to buy once our lease is up.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:23 AM

Default Does Anyone Have Anything Good To Say About Baytown, TX: Update

So.
Again, I want to thank everyone for all their great advice when my son and I were preparing to move down here. The short version is, you were all right.

Baytown is a pretty hard-scrabble, blue collar town. You can't deny the existence of a certain thug mentality here, especially with regards to driving habits. And air quality is a real challenge.

That being said, however, as one poster noted, there are some beautiful, verdant areas here and some very desirable older neighborhoods. You just have to get out and look. When you do you'll notice there are a number of neighborhoods that are quite livable.

Healthcare is robust and actually highly rated for the region. I have no complaints in this area.

Overall, thugs not excepted, the people here are truly wonderful. They are open-hearted and so very welcoming. The civic quarter of the population is working very hard at revitalizing the downtown and it shows, It's easy to predict that downtown Baytown will be a free-choice destination regionally in the next year or so. It's worth a visit now. AND, believe it or not, there is a permanent ice-rink installation that is open through the holiday months. Brand new. And pretty cool. You can find a video on the City of Baytown's website from the Christmas parade for flavor.

Lee College, the area's 2-year community college, seems to be invested in supporting the arts in the area and bringing entertainers like Asleep At The Wheel into town.

At the end of the day, however, the Goose Creek Consolidated Independent School District just falls short. At least that has been our experience so far. And I understand it's not fair to judge a whole system by one, isolated experience. But as a parent, I have no choice. (Travis Elementary was a dismal experience). We will be in private school until we decide what our next move will be. I am blessed that I have the means to put my child into a private school environment. Many here, do not.

So, at the end of the day, it's a mixed bag. For my part, as a single mom and concerned about my son's future and his health, as of this writing our intent is to move. The two primary deciding factors are air quality and the public school system. For anyone reading this looking for guidance as to whether or not to move here and buy a home, I hope this has helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston