Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
...And exaggerate on a much grander scale, fits right in here...
Agreed and how many times have we heard someone say in here that Mexicans/Hispanics here illegally or otherwise are superior workers? No one ethnic group holds the corner of the market on superior work ethics. Don't you agree?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I think you're displaying your lack of understanding of our world today, particularly commerce. Take the time to study the issues before offering comments which many others will probably think are uninformed.
Are you denying then that English is the global language of commerce? If so, then it isn't me who is uninformed. Most Americans do not have jobs where they have to deal with foreign nationals/businesses outside of this country.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
There are many native Spanish speakers all over this country, so an employer will definitely give an advantage to a prospective employee who is bilingual in Spanish. Same goes for someone who is bilingual in Cantonese, Mandarin, Tagalog, Portuguese, Russian, and many other languages in certain parts of the US. To think otherwise is incredibly naive.
But most Spanish speaking "Americans" also speak English. So why would they need to be communicated with in Spanish? The truth is that these employers are discriminating against native English speakers because they want Spanish speaking employees to communicate with illegal alien Spanish speakers. They are discriminatiing to profit off of those here illegally in our country. In otherwords the job potentials go down for native English speakers based on the above and that is blatantly unfair.

Are you suggesting that Americans learn all of the languages that you mentioned? We are an English speaking country and since you admit that those who speak those languages also speak English why should we learn their language when we already have English to communicate in?

Naive? No, just stating the facts. Most Americans are just struggling to keep their heads above water these days so they neither have the time nor the need to learn another language much less a half dozen of them that will be totally useless to them.

Having said all of this. I am done discussing this subject.

Last edited by chicagonut; 05-17-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 07:21 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think the thing that is motivating this thread is fear. People are afraid of a world that is changing right in front of them, and a world in which they look around and see that they're no longer the predominant race or culture, as is the case in some parts of the country.

On some level, I understand the fear. I've met some Hispanic immigrants who appear to be the kind of people that are alluded to in some of these posts. Some of them may be able to speak some English, but they're afraid. Being forced to speak a second language can be intimidating. I know because I had to speak a foreign language in a place where English wasn't the main language. It's not easy to learn a new language - trust me.

In my experience, though, most Hispanic immigrants, and most immigrants period, want their children to assimilate. It means too much to them for them not to. It comes down to the sort of support systems they have in place, and where they start when they come here. And yes, cultural attitudes matter to some degree to. By and large, though, most second-generation immigrants are assimilated. Some don't, but on the whole they do.
Shouldn't we fear people that break into our country & demean English & American culture.

Its indignation.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Actually, you said that people were expected to speak the local language - you and I might expect it, but the country apparently does not - otherwise there would be safeguards in place.

It is still not the official language of the USA. When you immigrate, you come to the US, you go through a US border with US border agents, your Green Card/Visa is issued by the US. And in the US, there is no official language.

I more than whole-heartedly agree that it is a glue that keeps the country together. I think it is essential for the functioning of this society to have a common language - but I have said that already.

Hm, you said "I am sure no one told you, but if you go to another country its [sic] respectful to learn the native tongue."

Seems to me that this sentence addresses me personally and not the general public.

Respectful? Yes, when you take up residency.

Feasible while you visit? Of course not.

I fly internationally about 30 to 40 times a year. A trip may include a stop in Italy, Tokyo, Bangkok, and Hong Kong. Am I supposed to learn Italian, Japanese, Thai, and Cantonese for this trip?

I am sure I can muster some basic Italian, a tiny bit of basic Thai, but Japanese and Cantonese are not part of my repertoire... at all.

Why not learn the native language where you take up residency as your primary language instead of picking fights with the locals?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why not learn the native language where you take up residency as your primary language instead of picking fights with the locals?
It seems to me that the only people picking a fight here are the monoglot English speakers.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It seems to me that the only people picking a fight here are the monoglot English speakers.
No its many hispanics that condemn English as our nations language & attack us for being racist when we want to enforce our laws

Old 05-17-2012, 01:19 PM

24 posts, read 25,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Wrong. ESL is about making English the second language, Spanish the first. In schools here, children are taught in their own country's language of Spanish and are given a little introduction to English on the side. They are not being taught that it's all that important to learn English.

English is now offered pretty much the same way Latin and Greek are -- it's nice to learn a second language.

English needs to be the First language, the primary language. If the immigrants want to live in a Spanish speaking nation, they should consider staying home or relocating to one of the 22 or so Spanish speaking nations.

This is a Spanish speak nation why should they move?

Old 05-17-2012, 01:21 PM

24 posts, read 25,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
English IS the language of commerce and is spoken globally, not Spanish nor any other language. There are very few jobs that should/would require one to be bi-lingual in this country. The only reason that Spanish is being pushed is because of the number of illegal alien Spanish speakers that are being pandered to. Most Hispanic-Americans do know how to speak English even though many prefer Spanish. I can think of a lot more useful things for an American worker to learn than a foreign language. If they choose to do so that is their proagative but for the most part they aren't going to find it useful.

This comments remind of the that joke. "What do you call someone that only speaks one language" American.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:24 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
No its many hispanics that condemn English as our nations language & attack us for being racist when we want to enforce our laws
What law establishes English as the nation's language?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration