Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 11:21 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
I was fixin to get out the hose
lololololo!!!!!!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!!!!!!! I needed it.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:23 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Well with the way we sometimes go ballistic over immigration here we do need some laughs.lol

Old 10-09-2007, 11:29 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Belied by the content of this and every other thread in the forum. Scroll back to read anger over hospital emergency rooms being overrun by illegals. Who checked the papers on those folks? No one. The word 'illegals' is merely being used as a placeholder for the word 'Hispanics'. People have told me they can walk into a store and tell who among the staff are illegals by how well they speak English. People have indicated to me that they can drive down the highway, see a group of Hispanics congregated on the sidewalk, and tell that they are all illegals. At this point, it's senseless even to attempt to claim that it's 'illegal' that makes all the difference.
I am led to suspect that hospitals have a very good idea who is illegal and who is not. They are not permitted to talk about it, but that does not mean they don't have the information. When all the expenses of treating Ms. X are added up and the total is sent to the Billing Department, this is where the rubber meets the road. If Ms. X has given no SS#, a false SS# or a stolen SS#, at this point, I think it is reasonable to assume this individual is here illegally. There will be people who will continue to say that is not sufficient proof, but it would be sufficient for many.
When an illegal alien comes in for care, let's say delivery of a baby and they either give no information or misleading information, the chances that the hospital will be reimbursed for care provided are poor. Why should this make people angry? When enough illegal aliens skip out on their medical bills the hospital can eventually collapse under the weight of unreimbursed care. Or if it does manage to say open the price is paid in other ways. If the hospital budget is hemorrhaging cash, maybe the nurses or cafeteria workers won't be able to get the raise they were promised. A hospital can afford to provide a certain amount of charity care each year, when this amount is used to cover the bills of illegals then deserving Americans cannot be given a break on their health care expenses.
A hospital filled with Americans of hispanic heritage who pay their bills does not have a problem. One overrun by illegal immigrants does. IMO, people have every right to be angry about this.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Here I will make it easy for you. All Americans are racist and all Americans are too stupid to find America on the map. Will that work for you?
Everything negative I said about Americans was to show you that you cannot lump people together like that.
Everything.
I lumped you all together, and you figured that was wrong.
I don't disagree.

You lumped all immigrants, yes, both legal and illegal, together by not clarifying who you were talking about. Some even continued to lump people together in whatever category they were put in.

All of my posts were trying to say this. Don't lump people together based on origin.
When logic arguments did not work, I started to use Americans as examples to try to point out, by emotions, that lumping cannot be done. You got mad, but yet again you failed to see the point. Even after I tried to clarify it.

My "agenda" has been to, with different ways, show that just because you are from one place, you are not like all people from there.

If you do not want people to lump all Americans together with stereotyphes, then do not expect others to want to be lumped together.
If Americans cannot be lumped together (e.g. "no American knows any geography") then no other people can be lumped together (e.g. "all immigrants to the US are the same and pays no taxes").

This forum is not about illegal immigration. It is about immigration. People have tried to discuss legal immigration, yet the "discussions" always ends up being about illegal.

And, as saganista said, people here always assume someone looking hispanic is illegal. You deny it when someone says you do, yet there are threads and threads where you black on white do so.
Hispanics are being lumped, based on their looks. If I cannot lump Americans, then why is it ok to lump together all hispanic-looking people?

That is my "agenda". To make it evident that you cannot lump anyone. No one knows everyone.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I am led to suspect that hospitals have a very good idea who is illegal and who is not.
OH, they do!!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:35 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Here is my solution to the illegal immigration situation.
Please bear (bare?) with me as I describe my idea before you jump to conclusions. Thanks.

First of all, allow anyone in the country who is here illegally immediate LEGAL status. No matter what country they are from.To accomplish this, so that the illegals can move about freely, a card must be issued.

I would suggest that, anyone who wants amnesty be allowed to be granted it by following through with this action:

Each individual illegal immigrant must go to a selected location, be finger printed, DNA taken and have their mug shots taken (afterall, they are criminals...)

Then issue them a color coded license (or school ID, whatever, depending on the age) that is valid for 5 years. IF within those five years they are arrested for ANYTHING - minor or not, they are immediately deported and not allowed back into the country.
If, like "most" illegals already here in the US, they stay out of trouble, they will be then be given full citizenship at the end of five years.

What this accomplishes, is this:

It allows the person to stay at whatever job they have now, AND they can begin to pay TAXES. They won't have to lie about status in the hospitals, they will actually have to be in the system like everyone else and pay up - or go bankrupt like other US citizens facing high hospitals bills. They'll have to have car insurance - just like everyone else.
If they are no longer allowed a free ride they may chose not to stay. But it will be their choice.
The employer (who is knowingly breaking the law) must pay the fees (workers compensation, etc) but shouldn't have to be forced to pay his employee any more than what he is already paying them. Because the illegal is free to go about his business without fear of being deportation he can then choose to either keep his job at his present pay or find another one.
This way prices will not raise substantially.
How do you propose preventing millions more illegal immigrants from entering the country in the future and expecting the same treatment. At what point do we say 'enough'?

Quote:
It's not a perfect solution, but it's a beginning. We all know the illegals are NOT going anywhere. That the government will NEVER enforce the new laws to begin with. Neither illegals NOR employers will be punished. So why not just make it easier on everyone?
But (and I use this term lightly) track the illegals for a few years and if they have proven themselves, then heck, let them stay. If they have caused a ruckus, send them home.
No, I don't 'know' that at all.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:36 AM

348 posts, read 1,021,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
lololololo!!!!!!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!!!!!!! I needed it.

awww, I'm glad

Old 10-09-2007, 12:30 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
How do you propose preventing millions more illegal immigrants from entering the country in the future and expecting the same treatment. At what point do we say 'enough'?

No, I don't 'know' that at all.
We say "enough" at the same time we allow the amnesty. Take all the police/border control forces we have available and man the border. BUILD the fence still. But don't disregard Canada either.

I wish I were kidding when I said we all know, but I wasn't. We do all know, NOTHING will happen to any great extent.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:33 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
I don't think most Americans object to immigrants at all---it's just that they can't stand a bunch of foreigners moving in!!.......

Old 10-09-2007, 12:39 PM

236 posts, read 441,975 times
I don't believe our government will ever "Solve" the illegal immigration problem. It all comes down to money. The big businesses that contribute to the hiring of illegal immigrants are giving government officials kickbacks to look the other way. Oh yeah, let me stress this is MY opinion. No facts on that..
We, who are against illegal immigration, will never be convinced that it is okay. We feel strongly that our way of life is changing and not for the good. We believe that all people are accountable for their actions. If you break the laws of this country you are punished.( except if your are an illegal immigrant.) This country has overlooked the first law that illegals of broken and that is Illegal Entry. The pro-immigration group can not be swayed either they do not believe there is anything wrong with uncontrolled immigration. This issue will be the cause of this countries division. It is not about North or South as in the Civil War it is about legal or illegal. I have a feeling that legal will eventially win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration