Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page, after that multi-day, multi-topic looney claim:
Again, population growth encompasses births and immigration. That's not loony. It's a fact.

Quote:
Spanish-usage is going to continue to grow, along with the Hispanic population, and I also predict there will be more topics about Spanish here at C-D...

That is the debate line I am going to take...
Then, you will continue to contradict yourself. They can't become fully assimilated English-speakers as you claim, AND remain exclusive Spanish-speakers. It's just that simple. After all, we aren't talking about bilingual Hispanics. We're talking about monolingual Spanish-speakers who expect to be accommodated in their language, and expect U.S. citizens to learn THEIR language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Besides the obvious benefits of learning another language, i wanna say that one of the best things of learning english was, for me, being able to read some of my favourite authors in their original language. Raymond Carver, Julian Barnes, Shakespeare, Paul Auster, Melville or J.D Sallinger arent the same in their spanish-translation as in their original books. The musicality of a sentence. The choice of words. Everything counts in something in where words are as important as literature.

And i kinda feel sorry for someone that, having the opportunity to understand the following paragraph in its original language and enjoy one of the best authors in history and the power of words at its finest, its complaining instead:

"Babilonia, Londres y Nueva York han abrumado con feroz esplendor la imaginación de los hombres; nadie, en sus torres populosas o en sus avenidas urgentes, ha sentido el calor y la presión de una realidad tan infatigable como la que día y noche convergía sobre el infeliz Ireneo, en su pobre arrabal sudamericano. Le era muy difícil dormir. Dormir es distraerse del mundo; Funes, de espaldas en el catre, en la sombra, se figuraba cada grieta y cada moldura de las casas precisas que lo rodeaban. (Repito que el menos importante de sus recuerdos era más minucios y más vivo que nuestra percepción de un goce físico o de un tormento físico.) Hacia el Este, en un trecho no amanzanado, había casas nuevas, desconocidas. Funes las imaginaba negras, compactas, hechas de tiniebla homogénea; en esa dirección volvía la cara para dormir. También solía imaginarse en el fondo del río, mecido y anulado por la corriente".

How amazing would it be if you could read and understand the power of the paragraph I just quoted, the same way i read those amazing english-speaking authors??
Bilingual should not mean only Spanish. What if someone preferred instead to learn Russian so they could read some of those great Russian novels in the original language?

Actually there isn't all that much great literature in Spanish -- not compared with Russian literature.

It's fine to learn whatever language one prefers to learn -- but no one should be required to learn some foreign language just to use in this country.

In fact Americans very often learn more Spanish for a one week vacation to Cancun than many Mexicans will learn in 20-30 years of living here in this country.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
...Then, you will continue to contradict yourself. They can't become fully assimilated English-speakers as you claim, AND remain exclusive Spanish-speakers. It's just that simple. After all, we aren't talking about bilingual Hispanics. We're talking about monolingual Spanish-speakers who expect to be accommodated in their language, and expect U.S. citizens to learn THEIR language.
And this topic will continuously pop up on the Illegal Immigration section...

Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
And?

Old 12-14-2012, 08:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Thats the most ignorant mindset in the history of the world.

I feel sorry for you if thats how you think.

Learning another language is ALWAYS benefitial and important. Learning another language is NEVER a waste of time. Cant believe there are people OPENLY saying otherwise.
Actually it's not.

The USA became the richest most powerful nation in the world while Americans spoke English and were condemned for not knowing or being interested in knowing many languages.

Yes it can be interesting to read novels in their original language in which they were written -- but there are novels and other books written in hundreds of languages -- most of us don't have that kind of leisure time. We might actually benefit more by learning languages like C++ and Java, Visual C and so on rather than every language of the world.

In fact a nation like India was considered backward when it's people spoke 100s of languages and dialects and could not communicate with one another. They are now the biggest English speaking nation in the world and making fast progress -- while the USA is breaking down and forgetting the advantage in having a common language and people who can communicate with one another.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Bilingual should not mean only Spanish. What if someone preferred instead to learn Russian so they could read some of those great Russian novels in the original language?

Actually there isn't all that much great literature in Spanish -- not compared with Russian literature.

It's fine to learn whatever language one prefers to learn -- but no one should be required to learn some foreign language just to use in this country.

In fact Americans very often learn more Spanish for a one week vacation to Cancun than many Mexicans will learn in 20-30 years of living here in this country.

what are you talking about????? do you know ANYTHING about literature??

please!!!

And, yeah, Russian literature is probably my favourite, but to say "theres not much great literature in spanish" means you know about literature the same i know about cars....wich is: NOTHING.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
And?
So we'll still have plenty of opportunity to debate this in the future...

Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page, after that multi-day, multi-topic looney claim:

Spanish-usage is going to continue to grow, along with the Hispanic population, and I also predict there will be more topics about Spanish here at C-D...

That is the debate line I am going to take...
Why would Spanish usage continue to grow when Benicar pointed out to you the claims that Hispanics are assimilating and doing it at a fast pace? Debate line? You mean diversion line, don't you?

Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually it's not.

The USA became the richest most powerful nation in the world while Americans spoke English and were condemned for not knowing or being interested in knowing many languages.

Yes it can be interesting to read novels in their original language in which they were written -- but there are novels and other books written in hundreds of languages -- most of us don't have that kind of leisure time. We might actually benefit more by learning languages like C++ and Java, Visual C and so on rather than every language of the world.

In fact a nation like India was considered backward when it's people spoke 100s of languages and dialects and could not communicate with one another. They are now the biggest English speaking nation in the world and making fast progress -- while the USA is breaking down and forgetting the advantage in having a common language and people who can communicate with one another.

Of course. Im not shocked

Old 12-14-2012, 08:34 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Because it is illegal immigration related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration