Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:55 AM

243 posts, read 224,761 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with DACA recipients getting automatic citizenship. I do feel some should be allowed to stay, but even those, they should start as permanent residents and then they can follow the existing process to become citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 12:04 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
I don't agree with DACA recipients getting automatic citizenship. I do feel some should be allowed to stay, but even those, they should start as permanent residents and then they can follow the existing process to become citizens.
Which is exactly the amnesty!!!

You people have no idea how immigration works, and are fooled by your politicians which you duly elected.

On average and not counting loss of job opportunities etc., it takes a legal immigrant 10-15 years and $10 K - $80 K to obtain permanent residency. You want to hand out to the illegals as a compromise?

Old 01-23-2018, 12:07 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Here's a novel idea.

Since the path to citizenship already existed ever since we had immigration law, instead of reinventing the wheel, how about those DACA people go home and apply for legal immigration like everybody else?

As a compromise, we allow them to apply without further penalty - illegals are barred from reentry either 3 years or 10 years.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:13 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
C-Span guests from New Mexico said and I agree that its not personal to the illegal but what is important is the message you send to the rest of the world. That would not give anybody a free ride. One free ride given by President Reagan has encouraged millions more illegals to come while law abiding people waiting in line have been pushed aside. That is wrong!

We have immigration laws and I have heard no one say what is wrong with those laws that needs to be changed. If there is nothing wrong with our laws, then why do we need reform? Logic would say want is needed is enforcement.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:19 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Here's a novel idea.

Since the path to citizenship already existed ever since we had immigration law, instead of reinventing the wheel, how about those DACA people go home and apply for legal immigration like everybody else?

As a compromise, we allow them to apply without further penalty - illegals are barred from reentry either 3 years or 10 years.
Best post on this forum I have read today. Everybody e-mail this post to your congressman. Maybe it will help them make a good decision. These bleeding hearts who care nothing for our country are working on ruining the country. Makes one wonder if they are the 'DREAMERS.' Their dream sounds like a nightmare to logical people who love our country.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:41 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Here's a novel idea.

My sentiments, exactly. No special considerations for them just because their parents managed to sneak them over our border.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:13 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
It's already impossible. Currently, there's no path to citizenship or any legal status for anybody that comes to the U.S unlawfully.

But, Americans enable them to stay here by hiring them, renting homes to them, giving them drivers licenses, allowing their undocumented children to go to our public schools, etc...

That's the problem. Illegal immigrants are allowed to lead normal lives here. That's what we need to stop if we ever want to fix this problem.
So what is your solution ? Temp. or permanent.

Its really not enough to just complain while offering no solutions.

Might as well raise and support a white flag on the issue.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:09 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
So what is your solution ? Temp. or permanent.

Its really not enough to just complain while offering no solutions.

Might as well raise and support a white flag on the issue.
We, as a country, need to deter people from hiring and housing illegals. Fines need to be severe for businesses who hire illegals and if they continue, their business license should be suspended until they are compliant with hiring laws and all fines paid. Also, the fines should scale depending on the size of the business. So, if a restaurant with 5 employees hires an illegal, the fine will be a few thousand dollars (and scale upwards with more infractions). Large multi billion dollars businesses should have fines in the million dollar range and scale upwards as needed. Severe fines should be applied to landlords who knowingly rent to illegals. To prevent them from 'unknowingly' renting to illegals, background checks on tenants should be mandatory and documented. Our government should pass a law that requires all students in public schools be US Citizens. If a private school has a student who is an illegal alien, they should be fined just like businesses and ultimately have their license suspended.

Lastly, our existing immigration laws need to be strictly enforced. If an illegal is pulled over, they not only get a ticket for the traffic infraction, they get a one way ticket back to their home country and they immediately forfeit any and all tangible assets they own. If the ticket is not paid, there is a documented warrant for their arrest so that if they do come back into the country, now they go straight to jail to serve a jail term before being deported again.

Here is where I do have some sympathy and that is with current DACA recipients. As much as I didn't agree with it being implemented, once you give someone something, it is tough to take it away. They were given DACA status which allowed them to officially establish a life here. At this point, with these individuals, they have rights of regular citizens except they should not be able to vote, buy firearms, or collect government assistance. Also, current DACA restrictions need to be strictly enforced. If they break the law and are caught, they pay their fine or serve their sentence and then they are promptly deported and it should be added that they forfeit any tangible assets they have such as cars, houses, furniture, etc..

Now, with all of that, becoming a citizen shouldn't take as long and be as cumbersome as it is. There needs to be a more streamline process to help out those that want to go the right way to becoming citizens.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Actually, I have met several DACA recipients who would GLADLY serve in the U.S. military or do other voluntary service if it offered a path to permanent legal status (that's different than citizenship).

So, I think that is not a bad idea at all.
Whereas according to what I've read, less than 1k of DACA recipients have actually served in the US armed forces.

They should put up or shut up.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:07 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Whereas according to what I've read, less than 1k of DACA recipients have actually served in the US armed forces.

They should put up or shut up.
Fewer than 900. What I don't understand is why with recruitment levels so low were we enlisting illegal aliens.

Since 2014, Obama. Not surprised he was for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration