Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 10:32 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callo View Post
If illegal immigration isn't stopped, this country will suffer grave consequences.

Look at Houston. Already the schools are little more than warehouses for illegals. They live 10 in one apartment, and loiter everywhere. They have no desire to accept American culture and see no problem.

It truly makes me sick that people don't see that. Or maybe they do, and don't care, which is even worse.
Or maybe it's us Americans that dont care to see the real states regarding assimilation. I agree that illegal immigration needs to be stopped and we must find a fix. How we fix it is the key but our border needs to be secured no ands, ifs or buts.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I thought the US, too, was a combination of various races and ethnicities...it certainly is in MY neighborhood, and in MY family. I never thought of Mexico as somehow more 'accomodating' to immigrants than the US is....

I know, of course, that there are PLENTY of Mexicans of all sorts of ethnic roots...but I honestly never saw Mexico, (the nation) as more 'understanding' of foreigners than we are here. Maybe because Mexico has never been 'put to the test' by hosting millions of immigrants in a short time....or maybe because Mexico insists that those who DO come there, do so legally, and, until they're Mexican citizens, keep a 'low profile'.

I'd be interested in your 'take' on the following...when, (as far as you know), was the last big "mass migration" into Mexico? When was the last era when several million non-Mexicans arrived from elsewhere, to set up housekeeping in Mexico, all in a short period of time? My guess was that this must have been 150 years or 200 years ago, at LEAST. How the Mexicans at that time "felt" about this is probably long forgotten. The difference is that, here in the US, it's happening TODAY...and you're hearing comments from Americans right NOW, as it's happening. Neither you, nor I, were alive long ago when Mexico last experienced sudden 'mass immigration', and thus it's really hard to draw parallels, or to know how 'smoothly' this went....
While I do see your point and I agree with most of your post. I know that we cant compare this situation has been played out in other countries. There was a Latin American country, I think it was either Bolivia or Chile cant remember (will try to find that info. later), where 20% of the population were illegal and were legalized. So it has been done in the past.

Quote:
This is only my personal observation, of course....and, as I've already stated, yes, Hispanics "taking over" is a bit of an over-statement. Remember, too, that "phobia" doesn't refer to hatred...it refers to 'fear'. It may be an unreasonable fear, I agree.
Phobia does mean fear. However, hatred stems from fear and ignorance. It was not "a bit of an over-statement", I think it was way over the top. I think that this is the main reason why people feel so threatened by the other ethnicity. The whole thing is exagerated, which adds paranoia, fear, ignorance and then stems into arrogance, hatred, prejudice and racism.

Making multicultural Australia | multicultural Hot Words: Xenophobia

Xenophobia

Xenophobia encyclopedia topics | Reference.com

Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
While I do see your point and I agree with most of your post. I know that we cant compare this situation has been played out in other countries. There was a Latin American country, I think it was either Bolivia or Chile cant remember (will try to find that info. later), where 20% of the population were illegal and were legalized. So it has been done in the past.

[/url]
Well, I'd be interested to hear about that..."TWENTY PERCENT of a country was illegal, and then was MADE legal"?....Can't imagine that anytime in the last century, other than cases where entire countries 'moved'....(as when Poland was 'absorbed' by its neighbors at different stages of history?...

I've been to over HALF the nations in South America..and I do know that Bolivia once actually had a coast (on the Pacific) and that this territory was 'annexed' by Chile....(I guess the residents 'were' Bolivians, and suddenly 'became' Chilean). But this was a LONG time ago, and it was the result of a war.

I can't actually picture the "20% illegal" scenario you've described..but will wait to hear from you on this.

Meanwhile, as I often say, I'm not sure how all this applies to the US, anyway. We do LOTS of things that other countries don't do....and vice-versa. In most respects, our experience here is unique...and comparisons don't often work.

Thanks for your response.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Well, I'd be interested to hear about that..."TWENTY PERCENT of a country was illegal, and then was MADE legal"?....Can't imagine that anytime in the last century, other than cases where entire countries 'moved'....(as when Poland was 'absorbed' by its neighbors at different stages of history?...

I've been to over HALF the nations in South America..and I do know that Bolivia once actually had a coast (on the Pacific) and that this territory was 'annexed' by Chile....(I guess the residents 'were' Bolivians, and suddenly 'became' Chilean). But this was a LONG time ago, and it was the result of a war.

I can't actually picture the "20% illegal" scenario you've described..but will wait to hear from you on this.

Meanwhile, as I often say, I'm not sure how all this applies to the US, anyway. We do LOTS of things that other countries don't do....and vice-versa. In most respects, our experience here is unique...and comparisons don't often work.

Thanks for your response.
I believe you are right. I got my numbers mixed and I apologize. I dont have time to find it right now but I will attempt later. The point was that the percentages of illegal immigrants were the same in contrast to the rest of the population.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
I believe you are right. I got my numbers mixed and I apologize. I dont have time to find it right now but I will attempt later. The point was that the percentages of illegal immigrants were the same in contrast to the rest of the population.
I am interested as well..............

As macmeal stated: the borders 'crossed' different groups of people in Latin America back in the 19th Century hence them receiving 'amnesty'.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Fair enough. Honest mistake....keep up sharing your thoughts.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:27 PM

125 posts, read 140,803 times
It angers me when people say we were all immigrants at one time, like that is an excuse for what is going on in this country now. The people that immigrated to our country years ago, came here legally, and they were welcomed. What I see is illegals from all different countries coming here and trying to change our cities and towns into where they came from.
We should have never changed America to accommodate non Americans so they would feel more at home. If you don't like our American ways, go back to where you came from!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 PM

85 posts, read 137,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrado View Post
Umm, what?

How do thousands of Americans die because of illegal immigrants?
How are Hispanic people a threat to national security?
Where did you get your statistics from?

Good grief...
1. Thousands of Americans are victims of illegal alien crimes.
2. The fact they broke into our country ILLEGALLY means they are a threat to our national security.
3. Too numerous to mention, but try a Google search and read the newspapers!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:20 PM

85 posts, read 137,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post
It angers me when people say we were all immigrants at one time, like that is an excuse for what is going on in this country now. The people that immigrated to our country years ago, came here legally, and they were welcomed. What I see is illegals from all different countries coming here and trying to change our cities and towns into where they came from.
We should have never changed America to accommodate non Americans so they would feel more at home. If you don't like our American ways, go back to where you came from!
When our ancestors came to this country, they did not come because the country offered free services. No sirree, they came to build this country by hard work and sacrifice. Now folks come over here because of the tired old saw, "A better life" (translated: the streets are paved with gold and everyone is rich) with their outstretched hands demanding "equal rights." Why don't they go home and work to improve their own countries? Mexico, for instance, has great oil reserves, a thriving tourist trade, American companies under NAFTA, and yet these criminals don't want to do anything to better their countries. Yeah, real hard workers, eh?

Crooked governments? Then overthrow them. There are solutions out there much better than trespassing on our soil expecting hand-outs.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:36 PM

27 posts, read 34,411 times
Sir or Madam mdonaldson, I really hope your message was some kind of ill tasted joke; otherwise I really think you are an extremely ignorant person, who needs to learn the history of his own country and the history of those he is criticising .As an American, not "Hispanic" (just in case you think that I am defending my people, in which case I could care less) your statement explains why for centuries we human beings have been killing each other for ignorance. HISPANIC IS NOT A RACE!!!!!
Your ancestors (assuming you might be from European(s) origin(s), had the same thinking process;, consequently eradicated MOST Native Indians in order to make sure they could not populate their own land, allowing the Pilgrims to claim it for themselves.
I can understand that illegal immigration might bothers you, but please do not generalize who is most likely to be an illegal, and furthermore claiming that a stupid idea based on racism=fear will take over our country ahahahah! I am laughing of sadness.
Education=information=sound judgement
Educate yourself before you make crazy statements, and please have no fear no specific "ethnic or racial "group is planning to take over America, it already has been done, just visit an Indian reservation.... just chill...

BTW, I am a native Indian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration