Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:03 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
amc760, it is hard to say otherwise when even the Spanish-speaker didn't think she was an American according the OP's original post:
thats crazy,

Old 10-24-2008, 03:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
amc760, it is hard to say otherwise when even the Spanish-speaker didn't think she was an American according to the OP's original post:
Exactly, according to the OP. Why on earth would quoting the OP serve as evidence as if it was a direct quote instead of paraphrasing?

We know how facts get shifted around, and things get taken out of context when discussing "incidents" with Hispanics/illegals.

Not attacking the OP, but I'm a little jaded towards these personal accounts I'm hearing. I highly doubt the co-worker said she wasn't American and was a Mexican national to help her argument, or should I say her defense.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

We know how facts get shifted around, and things get taken out of context when discussing "incidents" with Hispanics/illegals.
Agreed.

Quote:
Not attacking the OP, but I'm a little jaded towards these personal accounts I'm hearing. I highly doubt the co-worker said she wasn't American and was a Mexican national to help her argument, or should I say her defense.
I have to disagree with you here.

I have heard in my presence Americans of Mexican descent claim they are Mexicans first, Americans second; and they will use that as one of the reasons why they support positions that do not align with the interests of the United States. It may be exaggerated but why resort to such a tactic?

Old 10-24-2008, 04:35 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Quote:
I highly doubt the co-worker said she wasn't American
I have no reason to doubt the OP.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:42 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Really, people speaking their native language to one another doesn't bother me. I sincerely hope they keep more of their language then just the words for bodily functions and cuss like my family did! Is it rude....depends on the situation.

But what is beyond the pale, is the pandering government agencies and private corporations go to make it easier, hell better for a spanish speaking immigrant to not learn English. There is no reason that The Home Depot has all signs in English and Spanish. There is no reason why I should have to pick English or Spanish at the self checkout line at the grocery store. There is no reasons that want ads in the paper should be wriiten in Spanish only. None. And this is where I draw the line. Keep your culture alive on your own time, when functioning in public you must learn English the way the Sudanese do, the Koreans do, the Vietnamese do, the Russians do, and the Polish do. Because some cities out west have a 'Las' or a 'Los' in front of them does not make this a Spanish speaking country.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I have no reason to doubt the OP.
And I have no reason to believe her.

We're both justified, you know what I mean? I take the word of people I dont know with a grain of salt.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:03 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times
With the exception of your predominantly white upperclass enclaves and gated communities, English might as well be unofficially be considered a foreign language throughout most of Southern California, meaning it's only the second most common language spoken on the streets, the first being Spanish ofcourse. I remember when I first visited Disneyland as a kid and thinking why am I hearing more Spanish speakers than English speakers inside the park. Like 60% to 70% of the kids in the park were speaking Spanish. It was hard to believe that I was still inside the United States of America.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed.

I have to disagree with you here.

I have heard in my presence Americans of Mexican descent claim they are Mexicans first, Americans second; and they will use that as one of the reasons why they support positions that do not align with the interests of the United States. It may be exaggerated but why resort to such a tactic?
I dont know why anyone would resort to a tactic like that in this situation. Which is why it seems kind of questionable to me, since it follows the whole "Hispanics hate America" theme of this forum a little too conveniently.

I wasnt there, but I would think in a situation like that, the girls would be offended that someone is causing a ruckus over their personal conversation, and when someone told them "Youre an American! Talk American!" they'd probably reply with something like 'yeah, but I'm Mexican(speaking ethnic-wise) and I like to talk Spanish too!', or something like that.

And then when the story is told, that changes to, "Yeah, that Hispanic girl said shes a Mexican, not an American!".

I doubt they began a dicussion on immigration, allegiances to countries, or anything like that. I would think they'd just be on the defensive and a little pissed off(IMO rightfully so).

I'm just theorizing though. I wasn't there. For my own curiosity, it'd be nice to hear the other side of the story.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
With the exception of your predominantly white upperclass enclaves and gated communities, English might as well be unofficially be considered a foreign language throughout most of Southern California, meaning it's only the second most common language spoken on the streets, the first being Spanish ofcourse. I remember when I first visited Disneyland as a kid and thinking why am I hearing more Spanish speakers than English speakers inside the park. Like 60% to 70% of the kids in the park were speaking Spanish. It was hard to believe that I was still inside the United States of America.
I dont think only white people in upperclass enclaves and gated communities are speaking English. I could be wrong though.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Quote:
And I have no reason to believe her.

We're both justified, you know what I mean? I take the word of people I dont know with a grain of salt.
Sure, but it does not matter. The OP could have recorded the conversation in front of the Supreme Court or it could be pure fiction. The post was made with the intent of illiciting responses. Based on the description of 'Meez Laredo' , I find her behavior patently un-American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration