Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:35 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
It's the Corperate Farms that hire illegals. Small and Med, farms like ours delt directly with those we bought supplies from and sold our milk to. No middleman.(gov)
If we needed help we had neighbors who were happy to help.
Roger that Mkfarnam. Funny I though all americans were fat lazy trouble makers? I guess not. Enough of us grew up working hard and grateful for every dollar we earned. I detest those self haters who stereo type all americans based on the very few bad apples. LOL not surprising I would wager that many of those bad apples are the product of welfare families.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
My parents being born in the decade of the 1940s are old enough to remember the days when Non Hispanic Whites still did most of the jobs that are dominated by illegals today.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:15 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
I just returned from Wal-Mart and I am as mad as heck! As I was leaving, I turned to the greeter and asked him a question. He replied, "I don't speak English." He was a greeter for goodness sake, out in public. This is the United States and surely there must be enough English speaking ppl who come through the doors that they would need an ENGLISH speaking person to work the entrances. Am I being just a bit sensitive about this?

Lol thats nothing come to Miami and many if not most in the Walmart in my area (employees) dont speak English never mind the door guy.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i would go to walmart management and tell them what that person did. walmart had been sued by illegal immigrant groups, as well as the government, and would not voluntarily put themselves in the position to hire more illegal immigrants:
The chief of the Homeland Security Department's largest investigative arm on Friday called on corporations to come clean if they employ illegal immigrants, or face civil or criminal penalties. Assistant Secretary Michael Garcia announced that the Immigration and Customs Enforcement bureau had reached the largest civil settlement ever of a case involving alleged hiring of illegal immigrants. Under the settlement, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., agreed to pay the government $11 million and implement an unprecedented compliance and training program, including a commitment never to employ illegal aliens."This is a milestone for corporate responsibility and it sends a strong precedent that we look to other companies to follow," Garcia said.

The guy didnt do anything wrong. He just didnt speak English. He could easily be a citizen and not speak English.

Her complaint should be that door greeter should speak English but not that he did anything wrong as he didn't.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
My parents being born in the decade of the 1940s are old enough to remember the days when Non Hispanic Whites still did most of the jobs that are dominated by illegals today.

Those days are long gone and not coming back. The politicians in the 40s seemed to care about citizens UNLIKE now .

If it becomes impossible to find cheap illegal labor than corporations now legally bring in foreign workers with gvmts okay .

There are plenty of non citizens working legally as teachers,etc here all with gvmts permission. Citizens are angry but nothing will change.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
When a Spanish-speaking maid at a motel doesn't even know the English word for 'towel'!!!!!!

I recently tried to get orange juice at Jack-In-The-Box and finally had to say 'jugo de naranja' to get the girl to understand!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
When a Spanish-speaking maid at a motel doesn't even know the English word for 'towel'!!!!!!

I recently tried to get orange juice at Jack-In-The-Box and finally had to say 'jugo de naranja' to get the girl to understand!

Lol that was good. I called a local city councils office and the woman who answered didnt speak English.
I spoke Spanish but was surprised as its a USA gvmt office.

I imagine it was his sec and being S.Florida it could be his GF who he gave a city job to. Thats the way its done here.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:45 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
Quote:
Was this in South Florida, California, Nevada, New Mexico, New Jersey, Arizona, Texas, New York, Colorado, or some other state ?

Old 11-18-2008, 01:16 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Texas.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
I just returned from Wal-Mart and I am as mad as heck! As I was leaving, I turned to the greeter and asked him a question. He replied, "I don't speak English." He was a greeter for goodness sake, out in public. This is the United States and surely there must be enough English speaking ppl who come through the doors that they would need an ENGLISH speaking person to work the entrances. Am I being just a bit sensitive about this?
Your Walmart is apparently behind the times. The Walmarts here often have cashier clerks that cannot speak English, they count your change out in Spanish. The store announcements are made in Spanish.l
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration