Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Your widowed sister-in-law needs to check back on who sponsored her. That individual is responsible for not only her financial support but that of the 3 orphans.

Affidavit of Support - I-864 is Required For:

Foreign nationals to show that they have adequate means of financial support and are not likely to become a public charge, including:

Intending immigrants, including orphans, sponsored by a family member who is a Green Card holder or a U.S. Citizen

U.S. Citizens and lawful permanent residents (Green Card holders) to sponsor relatives coming to the U.S.

I-864 Affidavit of Support - Apply Online: Fast, Easy, Economical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Well my sister in law, a LEGAL US immigrant would like to know where she can apply. She has 3 kids and works at a hotel. If you could direct her to the office where she can apply to get foodstamps and SCHIP for her uninsured children, she would be thankful to you! I mean, after all, she has 3 kids and works in a hotel as a cook making $9.50 an hour so I am sure she qualifies!
Come to Arizona - it is actually very common!

Heck KevK - we have Illegals getting food stamps and housing benefits

If the benefits are federally funded, they cannot ask the immigration status of the person

Here, we do not have SCHIP -

Old 01-03-2009, 10:47 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
It is thru the anchor babies that are unConstitutionally given citizenship that as many immediate family members the illegals can claim, they do in order to get the food stamps. I worked on a reseach project for a bi-partisian committee and it was amazing how much they get for 1 anchor baby. The 14th Admendment was for former slavery victims who's parents had no choice on thier being here. It was intended to make them legal citizens as a slave had no way to not be here. But the 14th has been misused by liberal courts that use the bench to make laws which is why today, we have an achor baby problem. End that, and the illegal problem dries up to 1/10 what it is.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:53 AM

Not only that -- the sponsor isn't actually held responsible for the support of his/her immigrant.

The ONLY requirement is that they provide their income information (including spouse's income) to determine if the immigrant should become a government dependent. Many sponsors of course are on welfare handouts themselves so that isn't a problem at all.

http://www.visapro.com/Download/DS-1858-Form.pdf

This reform is very badly needed because many sponsors are not actually providing any of the financial support their immigrants require.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If she in fact came here legally, where is her sponsor? A sponsor of an immigrant signs a paper stating they will provide financial support for his/her immigrant.

She should be hitting up her sponsor for some financial support -- NOT the American taxpayers.
Me and my wife are her sponsors in addition to my wife's other sister. We do support them but I cannot put them on my work health insurance and buying a private policy is cost prohibitive. She has a policy at work with a $3000 deductible that she pays $160 a month for but they do not have anything for her kids.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Your widowed sister-in-law needs to check back on who sponsored her. That individual is responsible for not only her financial support but that of the 3 orphans.

Affidavit of Support - I-864 is Required For:

Foreign nationals to show that they have adequate means of financial support and are not likely to become a public charge, including:

Intending immigrants, including orphans, sponsored by a family member who is a Green Card holder or a U.S. Citizen

U.S. Citizens and lawful permanent residents (Green Card holders) to sponsor relatives coming to the U.S.

I-864 Affidavit of Support - Apply Online: Fast, Easy, Economical
We had assumed at the time we sponsored her that her children would be eligible for SCHIP. We did not know about the 5 year ban. SCHIP is not a "welfare" program. It is a universal program that applies to working people. We of course knew that she would be ineligible for welfare, food stamps and Medicaid. The problem is that insuring her children would be cost prohibitive- about $700 a month- from a private insurance company. I was more than willing to pay the $75 x 3 for SCHIP coverage which is what I thought we could get. Now I don't know what to do really.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:06 AM

It is a welfare program and this is an important long over due reform that is needed. Sponsors of immigrants should be required to provide medical insurance for their immigrants. No immigrant should be brought in who will immediately (or ever) become a ward of the state.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Not only that -- the sponsor isn't actually held responsible for the support of his/her immigrant.

The ONLY requirement is that they provide their income information (including spouse's income) to determine if the immigrant should become a government dependent. Many sponsors of course are on welfare handouts themselves so that isn't a problem at all.

http://www.visapro.com/Download/DS-1858-Form.pdf

This reform is very badly needed because many sponsors are not actually providing any of the financial support their immigrants require.
As a sponsor we are held responsible for the immigrants to ensure that they do not become destitute, homeless or public charges. I understood that and it is not a problem- the lady works everyday and her kids do well in school and do not cause any trouble. I just thought that they would qualify for SCHIP. Even if they included my income, they would quailify because I have 3 in my household and a homeless teenager too.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We had assumed at the time we sponsored her that her children would be eligible for SCHIP. We did not know about the 5 year ban. SCHIP is not a "welfare" program. It is a universal program that applies to working people. We of course knew that she would be ineligible for welfare, food stamps and Medicaid. The problem is that insuring her children would be cost prohibitive- about $700 a month- from a private insurance company. I was more than willing to pay the $75 x 3 for SCHIP coverage which is what I thought we could get. Now I don't know what to do really.
It sounds as though there are several family members here. Why not get some family values and support your own family member? Maybe pool your incomes and properly provide for your own immigrant.

You brought her over knowing she could not pay for health insurance. That is very wrong. You want to dump YOUR responsibility onto taxpayers.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:11 AM

They have free health care in Jamaica. I wonder what the purpose was to come here?

Caribbean Net News: Jamaica offers its youngest free health care (http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/news-1760--9-9--.html - broken link)

Under the program, Jamaicans aged 18 and under are to be treated free of charge at all the Caribbean island's public hospitals and clinics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration