Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:14 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Actually it makes less sense. It will cost more to create a mass program. We will lose BILLIONS in taxes. $9 billion in S.S. taxes (which they can't legally obtain by Federal Law). Not to mention sales tax, gas tax, utility taxes in certain regions, the list goes on...

To be completely fair though, these are all speculative. Both sides don't really know the net damage. According to a Pew study approx 50-75% of illegal immigrants pay taxes. This is a wide range. There are a whole host of studies that show conflicting data. So I really don't know. Nobody really does.

The number one hinderance is lack of a formal education. There are things that the gov't can do to mitigate this problem (these things will also benefit lower income citizens as well).
There is no need for mass deportations. They did not all get here overnight and it will take some time to return all of them to their home countries. We can start by cutting off the jobs and benefits. No more employment and no more freebies. No more anchor babies. Once there is nothing left for them to get their hands on, they will leave on their own.

What you are doing is taking Mexico's problems and trying to make them the US's problems. It is not my fault that Mexico fails to properly educate it's citizens and I can think of no reason why I should be expected to foot the bill for educating them in the US. Have you thought this through at all? According to Ruben Navarette, the typical illegal aliens has a sixth grade education. These are NOT people who left school at the end of their junior year in HS and can quickly be brought up to speed. These are not situations where six months of evening classes will enable them to pass the GED. We are talking about YEARS of remedial work- just to get them to the point where they have the equivalent of an HS education! WHO IS GOING TO PAY FOR THIS? Where are the extra teachers going to come from? How are the missus and all the kids going to be supported while padre goes to school for a couple of years? AND THEY DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH? We will have to pay for ESL classes, too. This is insane. They need to leave. If we cut off the goodies and make things unpleasant enough for them (no job, can't rent an apartment, no more free medical care except for bona fide emergencies, if you want your kids in school you pay out of district tuition, etc.) then and only then will they go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 02:17 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Actually it makes less sense. It will cost more to create a mass program. We will lose BILLIONS in taxes. $9 billion in S.S. taxes (which they can't legally obtain by Federal Law). Not to mention sales tax, gas tax, utility taxes in certain regions, the list goes on...

To be completely fair though, these are all speculative. Both sides don't really know the net damage. According to a Pew study approx 50-75% of illegal immigrants pay taxes. This is a wide range. There are a whole host of studies that show conflicting data. So I really don't know. Nobody really does.

The number one hinderance is lack of a formal education. There are things that the gov't can do to mitigate this problem (these things will also benefit lower income citizens as well).
Since formal education is directly paid for by ME I take a serious objection to that thinking. If immigrants could all move here and be self Dependant /sufficient that is one thing but I've got kids of my own I don't need the govt to assign some more to me to support permanently.

Don't forget, tax payer money is our money not Ilegal Alien money.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
It was not a criminal act but last week I found a tooth in my soup at the local coffee shop. I went to the manager and he told me Paco was cooking the soup and had not been to the dentist since arriving in America because he had no dental insurance.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:24 PM

45 posts, read 61,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
It was not a criminal act but last week I found a tooth in my soup at the local coffee shop. I went to the manager and he told me Paco was cooking the soup and had not been to the dentist since arriving in America because he had no dental insurance.
Yeah, sure that happened.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:31 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
There is no need for mass deportations. They did not all get here overnight and it will take some time to return all of them to their home countries. We can start by cutting off the jobs and benefits. No more employment and no more freebies. No more anchor babies. Once there is nothing left for them to get their hands on, they will leave on their own.

What you are doing is taking Mexico's problems and trying to make them the US's problems. It is not my fault that Mexico fails to properly educate it's citizens and I can think of no reason why I should be expected to foot the bill for educating them in the US. Have you thought this through at all? According to Ruben Navarette, the typical illegal aliens has a sixth grade education. These are NOT people who left school at the end of their junior year in HS and can quickly be brought up to speed. These are not situations where six months of evening classes will enable them to pass the GED. We are talking about YEARS of remedial work- just to get them to the point where they have the equivalent of an HS education! WHO IS GOING TO PAY FOR THIS? Where are the extra teachers going to come from? How are the missus and all the kids going to be supported while padre goes to school for a couple of years? AND THEY DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH? We will have to pay for ESL classes, too. This is insane. They need to leave. If we cut off the goodies and make things unpleasant enough for them (no job, can't rent an apartment, no more free medical care except for bona fide emergencies, if you want your kids in school you pay out of district tuition, etc.) then and only then will they go.
So we cut all services to illegal immigrants? This will be highly disruptive to citizens in communities with high concentrations of illegal immigrants.

Actually, it would be a boom for educators if you look at it from another stance. A renaissance for our 20-30% of CITIZENS that do not have a GED or equiv. We can create quality adult education.

How do we fund such an infrastructure project? Have teachers patrol every single student? Take census info on every single biz? It's too much $ to practically do.

We can foster and create a middle class instead (via education and health reform). These things will benefit ALL residents of the US.

As for 1AngryTaxPayer...it's a shared burden. I pay for roads that I don't use. I pay for S.S. that, most likely, I will NEVER see. I pay for schools, and I don't have children. However, I do this since these things benefit others as well as myself. Others thriving in a nation means prosperity for all.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:45 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I don't need to talk that much about the future when the reality is I'm being affected today, every day, by the Illegal Horde.
IMO pro-illegals should not get a free pass in the future and they should feel every bit the financial burden that my generation has and is. Once someone has been violated or ripped off and it's proven it was by an Illegal Alien it will give them a dose of reality and make them wonder why we let it happen. Not only let it happen but for years encouraged it with an open border.
I couldn't agree more. At the rate that they are destroying Americans, instead of hiding in the shadows while expecting another amnesty that is not going to happen, illegal aliens should be spending their "down time" considering what they will do to make their homeland a decent place to live upon their arrival back home.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:09 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I couldn't agree more. At the rate that they are destroying Americans, instead of hiding in the shadows while expecting another amnesty that is not going to happen, illegal aliens should be spending their "down time" considering what they will do to make their homeland a decent place to live upon their arrival back home.
Destroying America? Really?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
I'm sure that people killed by blonde haired people would claim that people with blonde hair are "bad". So your initial point it moot
Unless they are blond haired illegal aliens, what in the world do blond haired people have to do with the presence of illegal aliens in America. If there is a moot point here, you invented it.

Quote:
Adding a sarcastic smiley to a situation that clearly is not sarcastic really doesn't add to your point. Actually in a way, it detracts. However, the point is that again, your postings are like crack. The addict sees them and needs more to the point that logic and reason are thrown out the window. Instead, you see begin to see all illegal immigrants as violent criminals. You are addicted to these tales.
Child you really need to put that bong down. This is a smiley face. This is a face of disgust/acknowledgment of sarcasm. As for knowing what addicts see, I am inclined to believe you are the expert on that topic, score 1 for you the one/that one guy.

Quote:
BTW... I do pay taxes A good amount of taxes.(BTW is not a word...it's three).
Since I have no way of verifying whether you do or not, I'll stick to my original hunch, that you don't. That being said: BTW is an acronym for "By the Way" and I never said it was one word or 3 since it has nothing to do with my post or this discussion. But I digress since it is obvious that you go on tangents for lack of anything significant to bring to the topic of conversation, which BTW is illegal immigration.

Quote:
And well, our nation currently spends the most per capita on healthcare than any other nation. With that said, we don't have universal healthcare (or any variation of). So, the billions we spend is WASTED. Our education system is also based publically (hence why we have good and poor school districts). There is waste is the school system. The LA city unified spent $300 million on Belmont High School due to improper ventillation (it had been formerly an industrial site). A light bulb at San Bernardino City Unified costs roughly $20 per bulb (higher than the average cost). Again, there is waste in our public schools. Education and Hospistals benefit more people than illegal immigrants. An increased priority will HELP citizens as well. With that said, we do need to trim on how we spend the money.
Indeed we do waste a lot of money on all of the above. Billions are wasted annually on people who have no right or business being in this country. Here's one of hundreds of sources that confirm that:

Quote:
Hospitalization, Diaz racked up $1 million in medical expenses. Officials tried to return Diaz to Mexico after he was stabilized. But Diaz died before he could be removed. The Gwinnett (GA.) Hospital System expects more illegal immigrants will present themselves for urgent care this year and has established a $34 million reserve to cover its outlay.

Said Paula Martin, a hospital representative:

“When patients come in the emergency department, we do not know or ask if they are documented, we are obligated to deliver care regardless of their status. And as you know, some people do not admit to being illegally in the U.S.”
Just think that $34 million is being spent on illegals in a single hospital. Imagine how many billions America will save once the majority have been removed.

Quote:
Deportation will cost billions and severly disrupt our fragile economy. If you don't believe removing 11 million people en masse will not disrupt our economy, then frankly I don't think you don't understand economics. Deportation will also create another entity that will again perpetuate wasteful spending (think the border wall).
The more you talk the more you sound like an illegal alien in fear of deportation. Short and sweet, we are already spending gazillions of dollars annually on illegal aliens and their anchors who receive:welfare, food stamps, educations, free breakfasts and lunches, ESL classes, general healthcare in emergency rooms, courtrooms, judges, lawyers, interpreters, border patrol, social workers, teachers . . . the list is endless. We do agree on one thing it would indeed cost billions to deport millions of illegals which is why attrition through enforcement of the current laws on the books and cutting off all the freebies, ending birthright citizenship, immediately deporting them once they are apprehended, finishing the wall and posting reserve officers would save us billions.
Quote:
So I don't want MY tax dollars to be used in that fashion. You seem to like to point out the irrelevant, but here it goes. I think that the 20s demographic needs to decide more of the future of budgets since YOU WILL BE DEAD and we will have to pay. Plus was a personal attack really needed. Continual stupor? I drink only the weekends recently. I had fun in college yes. With that said I have about 6% body fat can run a quarter mile in about 50 secs. and workout about 4 times a week. Pretty healthy guy. The way you seem to stress, well your cotrisol levels are through the roof. Which inhibits your metabolism as well as increases your heart rate. Epinephrine and norepinephrine is coarsing through you, which initially is good for you, yet can do serious harm. Enough of biology.
Another one of your tangents. I won't waste time elaborating on the insignificant. Short and sweet, it's a good thing that illegal aliens and their supporters are not running America, if you were I have a feeling we'd be a replica of the 3rd world countries you all hail from.

Quote:
Avoiding neighborhoods where illegals live? See interesting thing about that is well some of the trendiest areas of LA are considered "illegal neighborhoods" Mid Wilshire, Echo Park, hell even Hollywood, Silver Lake...These are safe mixed income areas. What's wrong with mixed income neighborhoods? Studies show that mixed income areas are good, schools in mixed income areas tend to do better than schools in dire poverty. Also, high income students benefit by putting a face on poverty and being more wellrounded. I went to a mixed income school and graduated with a 4.45 gpa...I sat next to a kid who inherited a Lambo on one side and another kid who was going to be the first to go to college in her family.
Another tangent . . .I thank God everyday that I don't live anywhere in or near California. While there may be some illegals where I live, they are not tolerated and therefore if they are here they putting on a great American front, English and all.

The rest of your rant is not even worth quoting or responding to.

Here's another FYI:

FYI is another acronym it means: "for your information". I'm sure you thought it like BTW was a word. Again put down the bong. Hopefully, the next time you go on one of your off topic tangents you will at least be able to distinguish words from acronyms.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 05-12-2009 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 04:22 PM

378 posts, read 626,464 times
Illegal aliens effect the U.S. and it's citizens, just by being here. They make Americans feel out of place in their own country, etc.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:28 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Illegal aliens effect the U.S. and it's citizens, just by being here. They make Americans feel out of place in their own country, etc.
Parts of many Cities now have taken on a flavor of Mexico and it isn't the Rio District it's more of a Tecate feel. Speaking English in these communities may or may not get you a reply when you ask for directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration