Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times

Advertisements

no need to work in extremes.

i dont think anyone is arguing that anglos lack culture. or that they dont contribute to the current US culture.

your posts comes off as silly and nothing else. i know you love sarcasm, but it dont always work buddy.

good try. im sure youll get repped, but ultimately its ridiculous.

US culture is varied and it includes the many groups that filled its borders since inception. the laws and ideals of the US, as they were written by our forefahters, are adjusted to reflect the changing times... all peoples have had a hand in that and continue to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree...that "anglo" stuff is just a small part of the American culture....the part that includes the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the 'Four Freedoms'.(Freedom from fear; Freedom of Speech; Freedom from want; Freedom of Worship)...Also the 'Right to remain silent' when arrested; the presumption of innocence until proven guilty; the right to a trial by a jury of one's peers...all that "stuffy" part of the culture. Those Anglos are pretty stuffy...(I know, since a couple of generations ago, it wouldn't have been MY culture, either...my family had to 'learn' it).

The IMPORTANT stuff, though? The 'exciting' parts of culture?...the art, the music, the cuisine? Rap music? Hip hop? Skateboarding? That's not 'anglo' at all....(everyone KNOWS anglos can't COOK, for heaven sake....and who ever heard of 'anglo music'?...'anglo dancing'? Forget it !!).

So I agree...our culture is PART anglo, and part other....and the anglo part isn't important, until things go wrong...and then I'll be thanking GOD for the basic laws those stuffy old dead "anglos" wrote, so the REST of us can 'be ourselves'. I'm sure glad MY ancestors weren't involved in writing the rules we now live by....(although we had a FEW good musicians).

If I want to live in a 'colorful' society, I can do that anywhere. When the time comes that I want a decent system, though, I'm afraid I'm going to go with what the "anglos" came up with. They can't dance, you say? Honestly, I don't care. I like their notions of liberty. Dancing I can find on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 03:45 PM

touche!
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I agree...that "anglo" stuff is just a small part of the American culture....the part that includes the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the 'Four Freedoms'.(Freedom from fear; Freedom of Speech; Freedom from want; Freedom of Worship)...Also the 'Right to remain silent' when arrested; the presumption of innocence until proven guilty; the right to a trial by a jury of one's peers...all that "stuffy" part of the culture. Those Anglos are pretty stuffy...(I know, since a couple of generations ago, it wouldn't have been MY culture, either...my family had to 'learn' it).

Technically, this is not Anglo, since this really also comes from the Age of Enlightenment (which many Frenchmen were a part of). This tradition was rooted from Renaissance thought, which was rooted in democratic Greece...again not "fully" Anglo. The men may have been Anglo, but the ideas were rooted in other traditions.

The IMPORTANT stuff, though? The 'exciting' parts of culture?...the art, the music, the cuisine? Rap music? Hip hop? Skateboarding? That's not 'anglo' at all....(everyone KNOWS anglos can't COOK, for heaven sake....and who ever heard of 'anglo music'?...'anglo dancing'? Forget it !!).

You mean the stuff that defines the day to day of a culture? Music, sport, art, food, traditions, etc. You know, the stuff that actually defines us from other nations? Not the stuff borrowed from non-Anglo countries (from the salons of France in the 1600s).

So I agree...our culture is PART anglo, and part other....and the anglo part isn't important, until things go wrong...and then I'll be thanking GOD for the basic laws those stuffy old dead "anglos" wrote, so the REST of us can 'be ourselves'. I'm sure glad MY ancestors weren't involved in writing the rules we now live by....(although we had a FEW good musicians).

Again, it's not truly "Anglo". European, yes...but Anglo is a little too narrow to accurately describe it.

If I want to live in a 'colorful' society, I can do that anywhere. When the time comes that I want a decent system, though, I'm afraid I'm going to go with what the "anglos" came up with. They can't dance, you say? Honestly, I don't care. I like their notions of liberty. Dancing I can find on my own.

Liberty is seen in many non-Anglo countries. You seem to not really know the roots of our modern system too well.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 PM

after reading all the thread... wow mach, riverfan, 1guy, et al! you guys really shut them down. good job.

i think the topic is done.

keep it up 1guy and mach. always a pleasure reading your posts. highly intelligent and informative. and not just in comparison to the fruits and nuts we find in this forum.

wow!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:15 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
My whole point of this discussion, if you're open to other cultures as you claim you are, then please be more open-minded about people speaking in non-English langauges in public. I believe that would fall under acceptance to non-Anglo cultures.
No, what it means is that they aren't assimilating to our basic American culture while being an American citizen themself. It is rudeness on their side not intolerance on mine.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
The diet is also VERY African. In Africa, we do pig feet. We also do eat "chitterlings" as well. We also eat gumbo, but with a slight variation.

The influence obviously is not very strong, but it is VERY visible.

Which is my point, that this notion of "Anglo" homogeny is a part of the mythology of America...not a part of the reality of the nation.
There really seems to be a reading comprehension problem by some in here. All I have said is that we have a BASIC culture and it is and has been based on White European culture mostly from British roots. That wasn't to imply that we have a homogenous anglo culture just that it is the basics of our culture. I am done trying to explain the obvious to some in here.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
they dont get it. thats why i bowed out of this.

american culture is NOT anglo. its southern. its northeastern. its yankee. its waspy. its soutwestern. its latino. its black. its white. its a lot of things.

but i think they like mr herreras white world better.

i dont.

good luck with these posters. they remind of the stupid [former]poster jdubs.
It is BASED on anglo culture. Do you not understand what based or basic is? Where do you think that the English language came from and became our national language? It sure didn't come from Japan or Germany or Spain!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:52 PM

did you know that the california constitution was written in spanish and then translated to english?

obviously it hasnt always been english. and english isnt the officail language of the US. its widely used, but in many areas there has always been a strong use of language other than englsh, particularly in the southwest or in native american lands. i already talked about the regional cultures we have within the US. you dont get it. its fine. be merry.

but im done with this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is BASED on anglo culture. Do you not understand what based or basic is? Where do you think that the English language came from and became our national language? It sure didn't come from Japan or Germany or Spain!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM

706 posts, read 940,095 times
[quote=the one;11863990]did you know that the california constitution was written in spanish and then translated to english?

Hmmmmmm

"At the evening session of the Constitutional Convention, on October 6, three of their number were appointed to serve on the engrossing committee, with instructions to have the Constitution written in English on parchment, together with a Spanish translation made by the official convention interpreter, also on parchment. The articles were adopted after the third reading on October 10th and 11th and the engrossed copy was signed at the afternoon session on the 13th of October

Early California: California's Constitutional Convention of 1849

obviously it hasnt always been english. and english isnt the officail language of the US.

But it is the official language of California, per the Constitution......

SEC. 6. (a) Purpose.
English is the common language of the people of the United States
of America and the State of California. This section is intended to
preserve, protect and strengthen the English language, and not to
supersede any of the rights guaranteed to the people by this
Constitution.
(b) English as the Official Language of California.
English is the official language of the State of California.
(c) Enforcement.
The Legislature shall enforce this section by appropriate
legislation. The Legislature and officials of the State of
California shall take all steps necessary to insure that the role of
English as the common language of the State of California is
preserved and enhanced. The Legislature shall make no law which
diminishes or ignores the role of English as the common language of
the State of California.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.const/.article_3

Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
they dont get it. thats why i bowed out of this.

american culture is NOT anglo. its southern. its northeastern. its yankee. its waspy. its soutwestern. its latino. its black. its white. its a lot of things.

but i think they like mr herreras white world better.

i dont.

good luck with these posters. they remind of the stupid [former]poster jdubs.
You are not earning any respect by bashing posters that most here liked. She pushed it but for the most part it was just because she wasn't afraid to push it. There have also been a lot more pro-criminal posters getting banned than pro-law abiding posters. Besides, most of these people just come back on as someone else. It's as easy as an IP tunnel.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:06 PM

i havent kept track of who was banned or if they were pro or anti.
but nuts and fruits came from both sides.

the particular poster you defend is gone for a reason.
she pushed it in a very uninformed, reactionary and hateful manner. we are all better without posters like her. regardless of who "liked" her.

there are other posters i like [and respect] that im sure you or others might not like. its not a big deal.
you have your friends, i have mine.
you have your opinions and posts, i have mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You are not earning any respect by bashing posters that most here liked. She pushed it but for the most part it was just because she wasn't afraid to push it. There have also been a lot more pro-criminal posters getting banned than pro-law abiding posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration