Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:04 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Many on here claim that only illegal immigrants will be subject to the law. My understanding of the bill is that police can search anyone and demand to see proof of citizenship, including pedestrians. Which one is it? Is this law only for illegals or for anyone suspect? Are you required to carry a drivers license if you don't drive? If in fact the police have a right to search law abiding citizens who have commited no crime, is this constitutional?
Quote:
demand to see proof of citizenship, demand to see proof of citizenship
police can do that now in every state, you need to be able to show WHO YOU ARE

Quote:
Are you required to carry a drivers license if you don't drive?
every state issues a IDENTIFICATIOn through their DMV, that is not a license. (looks like a license, but states "state ID", not a license to drive

you are required to to show an ID, (proof of residency, proof of birth, proof of citizensship) for nearly everything you do:

buying alchohol???? need ti show proof that you are 21, as long as you LOOK UNDER 47
taking money out of the bank???? need to show WHO YOU SAY YOU ARE, to include your official signatute....atm???? your card is a form of id
buying cigarettes??? show id
flying???? need an ID period, no exceptions
renting a car....need a licience, and a valid creditcard....cant even pay cash
taking a book out of the library...need id

etc...etc...etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Pedestrians are not subject to DUI. This law also allows people to be searched in multiple places, work, public places, stores, private places,etc.. Would you support radom drug testing by the government at your place of work? What about at restaurants, parks, movie theatres?

So you have no problem with a mandatory identification card? You have no problem with law abiding citizens being searched randomly.
Quote:
Pedestrians are not subject to DUI.
actually they are...ever heard of 'public intoxidation'.....ever heard of the 'open bottle law' why do you think it USED to be ok to 'brown bag it'

Quote:
Would you support radom drug testing by the government at your place of work?
already required for many jobs

commercial truckdriver...required by DOT (government)
military.....mandatory

Quote:
movie theatres?
already have the right to search you, to make sure you are not bringing in outside food/drink and for videorecorders

Quote:
So you have no problem with a mandatory identification card?
none at all....I already carry at least 3 that are mandatory

Old 04-26-2010, 11:10 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
What do you mean by "search?" Pat-down? Back seat. Glove box? Trunk?
., searched, search·ing, search·es.
  • To make a thorough examination of; look over carefully in order to find something; explore.
  • To make a careful examination or investigation of; probe: search one's conscience for the right solution to the problem.
  • Law. To make a thorough check of (a legal document); scrutinize: search a title.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
police can do that now in every state, you need to be able to show WHO YOU ARE
As long as you are not breaking a law, you are not required to show identification.

Quote:
every state issues a IDENTIFICATIOn through their DMV, that is not a license. (looks like a license, but states "state ID", not a license to drive

you are required to to show an ID, (proof of residency, proof of birth, proof of citizensship) for nearly everything you do:
Not for walking down the street. Not in my state at least

Quote:
buying alchohol???? need ti show proof that you are 21, as long as you LOOK UNDER 47
taking money out of the bank???? need to show WHO YOU SAY YOU ARE, to include your official signatute....atm???? your card is a form of id
buying cigarettes??? show id
flying???? need an ID period, no exceptions
renting a car....need a licience, and a valid creditcard....cant even pay cash
taking a book out of the library...need id

etc...etc...etc
You don't need an id to walk down the street, to ride in someones car, to sit in a park.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Holdencaulfield Pedestrians are not subject to DUI. This law also allows people to be searched in multiple places, work, public places, stores, private places,etc.. Would you support radom drug testing by the government at your place of work? What about at restaurants, parks, movie theatres?
Yes, absolutely, if anyone is doing drugs, they shouldn't be allowed to work in a public environment. And I have no problem with getting tested myself

Quote:
So you have no problem with a mandatory identification card? You have no problem with law abiding citizens being searched randomly.

No I don't....there are 15 million illegals here in the U.S. which is draining our systems, so, now it's time to get tough...besides...how dare anyone come to this country and expect freebies...when they refuse to become a citizen of the U.S. and pay taxes, get insurance...do you have any idea how many of them are driving without car insurance?????

My son is a police officer, if he stops someone who he suspects is illegal, he is not allowed to ask or ask for proof of citizenship...."oh come on, what is wrong with this country..." My son stops someone who just broke the law....and your going to worry about discriminating against a criminal...

I'm sick, sick, sick of people in this coutry getting a free ride...and all the drugs that are filtered in thru Mexico....

I really thought 911 would tighten our borders...we'd clamp down hard on illegals, and keep track of them...no way...it never happened...we've become fat and lazy and no one seems to know how to do they're job, let alone take pride in it...accuracy is a long lost art...the government keeps handing out money, and no one is appointed to keep track of how it is spent...sheeesh?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Quote:
I know if I am stopped I would gladly hand over my ID (who doesn't carry an ID with at all times now anyway?)
Does your ID prove that you are in country legally?

They are not checking "citizenship" but if you are in the country legally.
- can you prove that you are a US citizen?
- do you have a resident alien card (green card)
- have a non-expired non-immigrant visa (E, K1, TN, H1B)
- are you a legal visitor - business or tourist
- are a visitor from a Visa Waiver Country who is allowed in country for 90 days without a visa (Andorra, Hungary, New Zealand, Australia, Iceland, Norway, Austria, Ireland, Portugal, Belgium, Italy, San Marino, Brunei, Japan, Singapore, Czech Republic, Latvia, Slovakia, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, Estonia, Lithuania, South Korea, Finland, Luxembourg, Spain, France, Malta, Sweden, Germany, Monaco, Switzerland, Greece, the Netherlands, United Kingdom)
- are you a Canadian in the country legally - no paperwork required for short business trips or vacations but not allowed to "reside" or work - many Canadians are non-white and/or from Latin America or Asia
-are you Mexican national in the country legally?

The police will have to become experts in immigration.
Once they've rounded up a suspect what do they do? Keep them in a county jail until INS comes to review the case and pick them up?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes, absolutely, if anyone is doing drugs, they shouldn't be allowed to work in a public environment. And I have no problem with getting tested myself
So even though someone has never done drugs or broken the law, the government has a right to do mandatory drug testing?

Quote:
No I don't....there are 15 million illegals here in the U.S. which is draining our systems, so, now it's time to get tough...besides...how dare anyone come to this country and expect freebies...when they refuse to become a citizen of the U.S. and pay taxes, get insurance...do you have any idea how many of them are driving without car insurance?????

My son is a police officer, if he stops someone who he suspects is illegal, he is not allowed to ask or ask for proof of citizenship...."oh come on, what is wrong with this country..." My son stops someone who just broke the law....and your going to worry about discriminating against a criminal...

I'm sick, sick, sick of people in this coutry getting a free ride...and all the drugs that are filtered in thru Mexico....

I really thought 911 would tighten our borders...we'd clamp down hard on illegals, and keep track of them...no way...it never happened...we've become fat and lazy and no one seems to know how to do they're job, let alone take pride in it...accuracy is a long lost art...the government keeps handing out money, and no one is appointed to keep track of how it is spent...sheeesh?
So you have no problem with the police searching American citizens who have not broken any laws.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:32 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,588 times
In most states, simply stating your name and residence is enough to satisfy requirements of identification.

A Terry Stop requires reasonable articulable suspicion (RAS) that a crime has been committed, is being committed, or will be committed.

I know of no law that requires a person not driving to carry identification. A driver's license is just that, a license to drive a vehicle. You only have to show it if you are driving a motor vehicle, because that is the only instance where you are required to have a driver's license.

If you are stopped by police, always ask them if you are being detained. If the answer is no, that you are not being detained, feel free to walk away at any time. That people are "accustomed" to it being shown for other things does not equate to a legal obligation to show it.

Check out Terry v. Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remember, if an officer asks to search your person, he doesn't have probable cause. Never consent to searches, it is never for your benefit. Don't be afraid to assert your rights. You may have to comply with police orders, but you don't have to consent to them. When you consent, you voluntarily surrender your rights. Never a good idea.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:38 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,588 times
Here is Arizona's "stop and identify" law, just for reference.

Format Document

Quote:
A. It is unlawful for a person, after being advised that the person's refusal to answer is unlawful, to fail or refuse to state the person's true full name on request of a peace officer who has lawfully detained the person based on reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime. A person detained under this section shall state the person's true full name, but shall not be compelled to answer any other inquiry of a peace officer.
B. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor.

It looks like in Arizona, the only obligation is for you to state your name.

Always remember, outside of giving your name, you have the right to remain silent. Use it, even when not under arrest.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Holdencaulfield So even though someone has never done drugs or broken the law, the government has a right to do mandatory drug testing?
yes, I want to know the person flying the plane, or the air traffic controller is clean...I want to know if the taxi cab driver is clean...and how do they know a person has never done drugs, b/c they say so?

Quote:
So you have no problem with the police searching American citizens who have not broken any laws.
The object here is search out illegals and get them outa here....and if someone seached me, I wouldn't care...they search me before I get onto a plane, before I go into any big sports game...so what?

This country has gone to far, and left things slide way to long...so now, it's outa hand...and many people are suffering b/c of it...b/c of our corrupt government...so, now, we've got to start somewhere...and clean up this mess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration