Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
If allah were a real God, I'd be more concerned. But for now I'm of the definite opinion that pork fat rules, and adding bacon makes just about anything taste better.
Well, both the Christians and Muslims agree that there is only one God, so presumably it's the same guy! Anyway, the dietary law of not eating pork was also given by God in Leviticus 11:7 and Deuteronomy 14:8 and resulted in the observance of Kashrut by the Jews.

Unfortunately, many Christians are of the opinion that when Jesus arrived on the scene the Old Testament was immediately supplanted by the New Testament and all of the old laws were thrown out with the baby and the bathwater.

Besides, it is so much more convenient NOT to have to follow strict dietary laws to show observance and obedience to God (or Allah, as the case may be). It takes so much character to deny oneself when it is so much easier just to say "oh that does not apply". Which is true of many OLD Testament teachings which people find inconvenient.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 02-24-2009 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: grammar correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:00 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,862 times
I think it is because they never had BBQ from eastern NC. It is really sad how deprived some parts of the world are.

In reality I think it comes from the period of Abraham and has to do with the hooves of the animal. Years back I read it was a way of keeping people from contracting trichinosis from eating uncooked or undercooked meat.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 PM

37 posts, read 68,762 times
Why do Hindus love cows?
Because cows would be an endangered species if everyone in India did eat all the beef they could afford.
Arabs eat camels.
How long do you think it would take Arabs to put pigs on the endangered species list, given their oil money, if Arabs did eat all the pork they could afford to eat?
And if they Arabs did buy all that pork, how many Americans would go into the pig ranch business to earn the money that Arabs would spend on pork?
You get what you pay for.
Buy cocaine or marijuana to pay for coca farmers or marijuana farmers.
How many pig ranchers do we really want?
North Korea and some parts of China are so starved that they eat dogs, sort of like "Alaskan delight" whale blubber meat, Eskimo Inuit tradition.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
It actually says in the Bible that we should not eat of the pig. I forget the exact scripture.......
This is an excerpt from How to eat to live by Hon. Elijah Muhammed

He is the foulest animal. He lives off nothing but filth. The only way you can get him to live and eat better food is to keep him from getting to filth. He is so poisonous (99 per cent), that you can hardly poison him with other poison. You can even give him lye, something you'd think would cut up the intestines when eaten.

Snakes can't poison them; they eat them and fatten. The bit of the snakes don't harm them, because they eat the biter. He is so poisonous and filthy, that nature had to prepare him a sewer line and you may find the opening on his forelegs. It is a little hole out of which oozes pus.
This is the filth of his body that cannot be passed fast enough.
HE IS THE greediest animal. He never knows or cares to stop eating, as long as he sees something to eat. He is the dumbest animal. He keeps his nose smelling and eyes looking for something in the earth. You could feed him all day long, and he will never look up to see his feeder.
In case of bad weather arising, he is never intelligent enough to go in before it actually starts raining or hailing on his back. He takes no warning. He will keep his head in the earth, rooting until the storm is lashing his back with rain and the lighting is blinding his eyes.
Please learn to eat one meal a day, and let it be without swine flesh and many of the ailments you are now suffering and getting medicine from the doctor, will disappear. [LEFT] TO DIABETICS: Eat one meal a day, and lay off that starch and sugar that is making you sick. Write and let me know that you have tried eating once a day, shunning sugar and starches and before a week's time, your urine is negative of sugar and acid is negative. [/LEFT]

Old 03-02-2009, 05:11 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
This is an excerpt from How to eat to live by Hon. Elijah Muhammed

He is the foulest animal. He lives off nothing but filth. The only way you can get him to live and eat better food is to keep him from getting to filth. He is so poisonous (99 per cent), that you can hardly poison him with other poison. You can even give him lye, something you'd think would cut up the intestines when eaten.

Snakes can't poison them; they eat them and fatten. The bit of the snakes don't harm them, because they eat the biter. He is so poisonous and filthy, that nature had to prepare him a sewer line and you may find the opening on his forelegs. It is a little hole out of which oozes pus.
This is the filth of his body that cannot be passed fast enough.
HE IS THE greediest animal. He never knows or cares to stop eating, as long as he sees something to eat. He is the dumbest animal. He keeps his nose smelling and eyes looking for something in the earth. You could feed him all day long, and he will never look up to see his feeder.
In case of bad weather arising, he is never intelligent enough to go in before it actually starts raining or hailing on his back. He takes no warning. He will keep his head in the earth, rooting until the storm is lashing his back with rain and the lighting is blinding his eyes.
Please learn to eat one meal a day, and let it be without swine flesh and many of the ailments you are now suffering and getting medicine from the doctor, will disappear. [LEFT] TO DIABETICS: Eat one meal a day, and lay off that starch and sugar that is making you sick. Write and let me know that you have tried eating once a day, shunning sugar and starches and before a week's time, your urine is negative of sugar and acid is negative. [/LEFT]
Harsh. I raised pigs for many years and they're not all bad In fact, I had a gilt that wouldn't eat food off the floor, it HAD to be in a clean container or she wouldn't touch it. Picky little pig.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,336 times
Anthropologist Marvin Harris has written extensively on this topic and similar topics (Why Hindus "love" cows, worship them, and do not eat beef). He speculates that logical reasons exist, and it's not all just irrational and bizzare behavior. For example (one of the explanations) have to do with the hot, dry, arid climate and pastoral landscape in those regions of the Biblical Middle East where the religious dietary laws were originated (Negev, Jordan Valley, Palestine, Mesopotamia, Egypt). Pigs don't sweat much (contary to popular myth) and do not adapt well to the heat. Pigs do much better in forest and shaded riverbanks, and temperatures under 84 degrees F. When the temperature is higher than 84 degrees, they have some really dirty habits to keep cool (they roll around in their own feces and urine) rather than some fresh mud. That's why they're became known as "unclean" -- not the mud, but the poop and pee. There are other reasons as well. See "Cows, Pigs, Wars, and Witches" by Marvin Harris.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:12 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymonkey View Post
When the temperature is higher than 84 degrees, they have some really dirty habits to keep cool (they roll around in their own feces and urine) rather than some fresh mud. That's why they're became known as "unclean" -- not the mud, but the poop and pee. There are other reasons as well. See "Cows, Pigs, Wars, and Witches" by Marvin Harris.
I'm only going to read Marvins writings to see what Witches roll around in.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 05-27-2009, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,336 times
Ah yes, good choice. Harris writes that it's atropine, found in hemlock, henbane, belladonna, nightshade, and mandrake. With this hallucinogenic ointment applied to the broom (and other places on the body), they then "trip" and "fly" high.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,132 times
PORK IS HARAM IN ISLAM! A lot of people misconstrue Islam's forbiddance of pork consumption as mere obsolete historical belief but it's actually based on real medical facts as illustrated below. The following was discovered many centuries ago upon the dawn of Islam but no logical explanation was ever offered on the rule...until now. If you pour Coke (yes, the soda) on a slab of pork, and wait a little while, you will SEE Worms crawl out of it. A message from the Health Corporation of Singapore about the Bad effects of pork consumption Pig's bodies contain MANY TOXINS, WORMS and LATENT DISEASES. Although some of these infestations are harbored in other animals, modern veterinarians say that pigs are far MORE PREDISPOSED to these illnesses than other animals. This could be because PIGS like to SCAVENGE and will eat ANY kind of food, INCLUDING dead insects, worms, rotting carcasses, reta (including their own), garbage, and other pigs. INFLUENZA (flu) is one of the MOST famous illnesses which pigs share with humans. This illness is harbored in the LUNGS of pigs during the summer months and tends to affect pigs and humans in the cooler months. Sausage contains bits of pigs' lungs, so THOSE who EAT pork sausage tend to SUFFER MORE during EPIDEMICS of INFLUENZA. Pig meat contains EXCESSIVE quantities of HISTAMINE and IMIDAZOLE compounds, which can lead to ITCHING and INFLAMMATION; GROWTH HORMONE which PROMOTES INFLAMMATION and growth; sulfur containing mesenchymal mucus which leads to SWELLING and deposits of MUCUS in tendons and cartilage, resulting in ATHRITIS, RHEUMATISM, etc. Sulfur helps cause FIRM human tendons and ligaments to be replaced by the pig's soft mesenchymal tissues, and degeneration of human cartilage. Eating pork can also lead to GALLSTONES and OBESITY, probably due to its HIGH CHOLESTEROL and SATURATED FAT content. The pig is the MAIN CARRIER of the TAENIA SOLIUM WORM, which is found in its flesh. These tapeworms are found in human intestines with greater frequency in nations where pigs are eaten. This type of tape-worms can pass through the intestines and affect many other organs, and is incurable once it reaches beyond a certain stage. One in six people in the US and Canada has TRICHINOSIS from eating trichina worms, which are found in pork. Many people have NO SYMPTOMS to warn them of this, and when they do, they resemble symptoms of many other illnesses. These worms are NOT noticed during meat inspections.(NST, Singapore)

Last edited by KiranNoor; 06-08-2009 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: I extract this ifo from a website

Old 06-08-2009, 02:02 PM

24 posts, read 83,072 times
A friend of mine was married <a short time--basically as soon as he got his green card!>to a muslim man she met at college. She told me he would not allow her to bring anything PORK into the home because he viewed it as "dirty & unclean." Soo, her being a natural "pork eater" she soon grew tired of never having any and while he was gone one overnight she fried up some porkchops for her & her son!

Well somehow he found out and when he did, he actually made her throw away the skillet that she had cooked it in!! lol! Can you say crazy!

She said that he, and most of the ones she met all viewed "pork" in this manner- unclean and dirty- AND..... not only that, but muslim men (hers & friends of hers) also "DE-HAIR" themselves because it is also seen as an "unclean-dirty" body!! I asked her, everywhere? She said yes...EVERYWHERE! lol! (If you know what I mean!) She said there was no hair anywhere, except on his head. He "de-haired" himself with 'Nair' on his "arms/legs/underarms/chest/and other areas" usually 1 x a week or a little longer...she thought it was odd but I guess even all of her g/f men did this too! Too Weird 4 me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam