U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Long Island
1,720 posts, read 1,387,345 times
Reputation: 1412

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
People seem to make things too complex. We do not eat pork for the simple reason, because we are forbidden to eat it. No other reason is needed. Pork could be the most delicious and healthiest of meats, we still could not eat it as it is forbidden for us to.

...


As a Jew, this the same answer I give to people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2012, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,085 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Reputation: 66460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post


As a Jew, this the same answer I give to people.
As a Christian, I've tried to tell people the same thing when they say that Jews and Muslims don't eat pork because of trichinosis or shellfish because of potential parasites or whatever.

I say, "No, they don't eat those things because God told them not to."

Hey, I try!

I know some Christian sects, particularly Seventh-Day Adventists, follow the biblical dietary laws, as well. Many SDAs are vegetarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 PM
 
Location: East coast-New England
1,638 posts, read 1,787,143 times
Reputation: 3538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As a Christian, I've tried to tell people the same thing when they say that Jews and Muslims don't eat pork because of trichinosis or shellfish because of potential parasites or whatever.

I say, "No, they don't eat those things because God told them not to."

Hey, I try!

I know some Christian sects, particularly Seventh-Day Adventists, follow the biblical dietary laws, as well. Many SDAs are vegetarian.
Those of you who say you follow these dietaty "laws" because its written in the bible, Koran, etc..etc.. Dont you ever want to know WHY you arent supposed to eat it...as opposed to " We are told not to eat it..so we dont". Dont you want to know WHY you are or arent supposed to do something, rather than just following it because it was written some where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Long Island
1,720 posts, read 1,387,345 times
Reputation: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Those of you who say you follow these dietaty "laws" because its written in the bible, Koran, etc..etc.. Dont you ever want to know WHY you arent supposed to eat it...as opposed to " We are told not to eat it..so we dont". Dont you want to know WHY you are or arent supposed to do something, rather than just following it because it was written some where?
There are plenty of commentaries on why (at least in Judaism, I don't know much about Islam), but few that delve into health reasons. One often given has to do with the nature of man, the purpose of religion, and how we interact with God.

And, to be perfectly honest, I'm quite content with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
Reputation: 7407
As a Muslim I believe some things we are commanded to do or not do, simply as an act of obedience. Why does a man or woman do anything to please his/her spouse? This is similar, we do such because Allaah(swt) asked us to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 AM
 
13 posts, read 14,479 times
Reputation: 11
هل يمكن ان تاكل لحم فاسد .كذلك الخنزير لحمه ليس جيد . له اثار يعلمها الله .وهو منعه عنا .ولم يخبر لماذا .لنكتشف الامر بانفسنا .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2012, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Saudi Arabia
616 posts, read 591,288 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
People seem to make things too complex. We do not eat pork for the simple reason, because we are forbidden to eat it. No other reason is needed. Pork could be the most delicious and healthiest of meats, we still could not eat it as it is forbidden for us to.

Now why did Allaah(swt) forbid it to us? some possible reasons:

It is a form of sacrifice on our part to give up something.

It is an unhealthy meat.

A pig can not be slaughted humanely in a halal manner. It takes them too long to die, it is almost impossible to sever both carotid arteries with a single fast cut, the pig feels too much pain. because it takes to long to kill them.

Pigs are extremely intelligent, and are aware they are being slaughtered.

The reason could be any one of those, all of them or something different. It makes no difference, the only fact we need know with our limited knowledge is it is forbidden.

On a side note, I gave up eating pork long before I accepted Islam. At one time I actually raised them. Slaughtering them became too traumatic for me I found them to be too intelligent and saw the terror in their eyes as they were led to slaughter. It was brutal and almost comparable with killing a child. We don't require pigs, so why kill such a wondrous creature.



because we are forbidden to eat it. No other reason is needed

that's it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 PM
 
27 posts, read 22,695 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaam View Post
because we are forbidden to eat it. No other reason is needed

that's it
No, that's not it. Not for people who want to know what they are believing in. In this case, the reason pork has been forbidden to Jews then to Muslims copying Jews, will surprise many who haven't connected Jewish religious ideas to their sources in more ancient pagan religions. Along with circumcision and the bagel, Jews took the Egyptian religion's prohibition against eating pig meat "out of Egypt". In the Egyptian religion, those souls who did not pass the feather test of their earthly conduct did not get to be resurrected into eternal life. They were believed to be reincarnated as pigs and sent back to into life and this is the source of why Jews and Muslims blindly following Jewish religious ideas, don't eat pork. It would be like cannibalism..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2012, 09:13 PM
 
77 posts, read 175,859 times
Reputation: 25
why do jews hate everyone not jewish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2012, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,284,120 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmessenger View Post
No, that's not it. Not for people who want to know what they are believing in. In this case, the reason pork has been forbidden to Jews then to Muslims copying Jews, will surprise many who haven't connected Jewish religious ideas to their sources in more ancient pagan religions. Along with circumcision and the bagel, Jews took the Egyptian religion's prohibition against eating pig meat "out of Egypt". In the Egyptian religion, those souls who did not pass the feather test of their earthly conduct did not get to be resurrected into eternal life. They were believed to be reincarnated as pigs and sent back to into life and this is the source of why Jews and Muslims blindly following Jewish religious ideas, don't eat pork. It would be like cannibalism..
Even if pork were permitted, most Muslims still would not be able to eat it as it is almost impossible to slaughter a pig in the Halal manner. I imagine this would also be true of the Jews.

Strange thing this is a question that comes up very often. Yet nobody ever asks why we are not permitted to eat many other animals such as Dogs, Cats, Lions. Bears and wolves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top