Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:01 AM

36 posts, read 96,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
#3 – Your use of the term “so-called” prophet in referring to Muhammad is just snide and belittling and reflects more about you than Muhammad. The same reference could be made in addressing Jesus or his disciples as prophets, however, we would all be accused of Christian-bashing rather than presenting the “facts.” .
When the Meccans asked Mahammad to do a miracle to prove that he was Allah's prophet, he supposedly reached up with his sword and cut the moon in half. Hadith (vol.1, nos. 830,831,832.; vol.5, nos. 208,209, 210, 211. vol.6. nos. 387,388,389,390.)

One of the most amazing passages in the Hadith is where the claim is made that Muhammad was a prophet because he had a fatty tumor (like the egg of of a partridge) on his neck between his shoulders; because according to the Hadith, Arabs believe that this is the "seal of Prophethood". (Vol. 1 no. 189; see also vol.4, no. 741).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 09:34 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Your reply as it stands is not a true comparison to his statement. Too bad you cannot see that.

So did you actually take my statment as a personal attack? Why the negative rep point? Was it necessary to make the statement with the negative rep point "personal assault!, grow up!". Can you articulate why you feel it was personal when you made an invalid comparison and was called on it?
It's okay for you to give negative rep points when you feel the statement was wrong and not just someones opinion. So, how does it feel when someone gives you one. It wasn't me just getting back at you but, what goes around comes around. Need to just be adults a take a hit even if you think it's not right in the debate.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:48 AM

153 posts, read 563,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelite View Post
When the Meccans asked Mahammad to do a miracle to prove that he was Allah's prophet, he supposedly reached up with his sword and cut the moon in half. Hadith (vol.1, nos. 830,831,832.; vol.5, nos. 208,209, 210, 211. vol.6. nos. 387,388,389,390.)

One of the most amazing passages in the Hadith is where the claim is made that Muhammad was a prophet because he had a fatty tumor (like the egg of of a partridge) on his neck between his shoulders; because according to the Hadith, Arabs believe that this is the "seal of Prophethood". (Vol. 1 no. 189; see also vol.4, no. 741).
I hear what you are saying. But why are these myths any more outrageous or unbelievable than those found in your Bible?? There is a book written by Marcus J. Borg called, "Reading the Bible Again for the First Time: Taking the Bible Seriously But Not Literally" that cites the craziest, most fantastical, and unbelievable stories of "unGod-like" behavior found in Biblical scripture. And yet it doesn’t discourage millions of Christians and Jews from considering it the holiest, most sacred and “Truthful” of books and practicing their faith without gouging any eyes, sacrificing any children, or buying and trading women like livestock.

My point is that the stories of religious scripture are meant to be read metaphorically, and must also be taken in their historical context in order to unearth any enduring and universal wisdom. This is true for ALL ancient religions – Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Paganism, etc.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:03 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,368,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
I hear what you are saying. But why are these myths any more outrageous or unbelievable than those found in your Bible??
Because Bible believers feel the Bible represents the absolute truth about their God’s word and the “outrageous or unbelievable” acts are miraculous examples of their God’s power. So if it isn’t the bible, it can be “proven” false but those same standards or methods applied and tested to other religions faiths cannot be performed on the Bible. Yet believers can only reply the reason is because the Bible is fact since it is their God’s word.

Truth and reason are incompatible with blind faith and obedience.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
This is statement resonates whether it is the bible or any other belief.

It seems to be at the core of many of the debates, discussions, agruments and heated exchanges here on this board and in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post

Truth and reason are incompatible with blind faith and obedience.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:48 AM
rav

1 posts, read 1,906 times
Exclamation God concept is crazy!

I hate gods, they ruined our world. Wish it was a godless place, the world would be a nice place without this god concept. Get over with it ppl.. has anyone seen any god(christian,muslim or hindu). I dont think so. GO to hell with ur faiths.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:53 PM

25 posts, read 83,871 times
Talking hello everybody

my name is megan.i don't want to get into heavy debate,but i will say that i am a white american lady who has converted to islam about 10 years.
there is a verse in the Qur'an that sums up a lot of these posts" in heaven,ALLAH only knows the GHAIABS"which means secrets or differances.
i honestly believe what ever religion your born into or choose to follow,ALLAH
will judge you according to that.I THINK GOD "ALLAH" only knows the mistery or the secrets which make these religions tye together.religion is a very interesting topic.its good to see healthy discussion about diff. views and opinions.i don't disagree with anyone here,i think what ever you have to follow to make your life right is o.k. we all have diff. circustances and challanges we face,some people have it easier than others.just follow what you feel is appropriate for your well-being.at the same time,try to have a open-mind about other religions,even if you don't agree with it.think like
"Ghandi" a peaceful man whom had a great humility towards all of the religions of the earth.i can tell you that when i became a muslim,it seems like my broad base of knowledge was endless.yes,becoming a muslim did change my life for the better.i whoud not have meet my loving husband from india(he is also muslim).as for "jahad",all this word means is arabic for"fight back IF someone comes and attacks you,otherwise don't.these crazy people from the east(not all of them,only the extremists) have taken a peaceful and good religion and tarnised it with idiologic garbage,using the precious Qur'an as thier defense and excuse to carry out these attacks.i think these is incredibly sad,i think maybe extremists that come from other countries with extreme ideas are raised that way in thier country b/c they had to struggle against severe poverty.or b/c they are bored,and think that this is the right thing to do.i believe that NOBODY has the right to take anyones life,only ALLAH has that right.so,these are just my views,thanks for taking the time to read my letter.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:01 AM

10 posts, read 31,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav View Post
I hate gods, they ruined our world. Wish it was a godless place, the world would be a nice place without this god concept. Get over with it ppl.. has anyone seen any god(christian,muslim or hindu). I dont think so. GO to hell with ur faiths.
Sounds like frustration about wishes not granted.

But seriously, Hindu scriptures, epics and mythologies are all FULL of tales of the devotee attaining the glorious personal vision of their object of worship - after long, hard austerities, and often tribulations and privations. It is very much possible - a steady personal program of worship guarantees that. Only it may takes lifetimes to reach that point - but you will get there if you persist.

To get a PhD, you have to study hard for 2 years. To attain what the scriptures talk about, you must practise hard and sincerely - in the way you are taught to - for years/decades/lifetimes. People want to sit on their backsides and make proclamations regarding religion that only reflects their own ignorance and unwillingness to put their minds to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam