Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:04 PM

652 posts, read 1,276,854 times

Advertisements

I guess I have to pay $20 to get my ex supervisor's ph# from LinkedIn...wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 06:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
Is there no one you can call at your former place of work who kept in contact with him and would have have a contact number for him?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
Would you rather save $20 and lose out on the job? Only you can make this choice. or maybe do some googling and try to find the tel# of that manger. Try veromi.com or zabasearch.com one of those sites has the tel# for free. Try it.

Or get into a debate with HR and get the hiring manager between the 2 of you? This also risks that you lose out on the job, as the hiring manager would see red flags that you might be a high maintenance employee.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Is there no one you can call at your former place of work who kept in contact with him and would have have a contact number for him?
..so I guess I will have to pay $20 for LinkedIn to send a message to my ex boss for reference...Plus I am waiting for a response from the Administrator (who likes me) to see what she will say to my e-meal...Plus this HR wants a supervisory reference.....this is crazy....keep it going please, I appreciate it, give me more advise, going crazy!

Last edited by katalin; 12-06-2011 at 06:45 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Would you rather save $20 and lose out on the job? Only you can make this choice. or maybe do some googling and try to find the tel# of that manger. Try veromi.com or zabasearch.com one of those sites has the tel# for free. Try it.

Or get into a debate with HR and get the hiring manager between the 2 of you? This also risks that you lose out on the job, as the hiring manager would see red flags that you might be a high maintenance employee.
How can I be a high maintenance employe when I did everything I could to provide info?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
No I tried....so I guess I will have to pay $20 for HR to check up on me on LinkedIn...Plus I am waiting for a response from the Administrator (who likes me) to see what she will say to my e-meal...Plus this HR wants a supervisory reference.....this is crazy....keep it going please, I appreciate it, give me more advise, going crazy!
Try the sites Sware2cod suggested first, if you can't find the info than pay the $20. She most likely will come up with another roadblock.

You did the right thing by contacting the administrator. If your supervisors hadn't left the companies you worked for, and the company policy was they can only verify employment and say whether or not you're eligible for rehire, what then?

Did she expect them to violate their company policy?

A lot of people in HR in order to justify their job make things more difficult than they need be. She should have told you when she first mentioned references that she needed two former supervisors to give a detailed reference.

She didn't do that.

The hospital may not be aware of what she is doing. Making these requests piecemeal instead of telling you upfront what you needed to provide is not very professional.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:06 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
How can I be a high maintenance employe when I did everything I could to provide info?
You could have gotten the tel# of the prior supv, but wanted HR to do it via LinkedIN.

You went to the manager for something that you could have handled on your own. Shows you might be constantly asking the manager to intervene rather than figure out a way to handle on your own.

Managers don't want to be bugged if you can figure out a way to resolve. They want results, not someone escalating things to the manager.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Try the sites Sware2cod suggested first, if you can't find the info than pay the $20. She most likely will come up with another roadblock.

You did the right thing by contacting the administrator. If your supervisors hadn't left the companies you worked for, and the company policy was they can only verify employment and say whether or not you're eligible for rehire, what then?

Did she expect them to violate their company policy?

A lot of people in HR in order to justify their job make things more difficult than they need be. She should have told you when she first mentioned references that she needed two former supervisors to give a detailed reference.

She didn't do that.

The hospital may not be aware of what she is doing. Making these requests piecemeal instead of telling you upfront what you needed to provide is not very professional.
thank you!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 PM

[quote=sware2cod;22010104]Would you rather save $20 and lose out on the job? Only you can make this choice. or maybe do some googling and try to find the tel# of that manger. Try veromi.com or zabasearch.com one of those sites has the tel# for free. Try it.

Or get into a debate with HR and get the hiring manager between the 2 of you? This also risks that you lose out on the job, as the hiring manager would see red flags that you might be a high maintenance employee.[/

I have $20 but that's not the point....

Last edited by katalin; 12-06-2011 at 07:42 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You could have gotten the tel# of the prior supv, but wanted HR to do it via LinkedIN.

You went to the manager for something that you could have handled on your own. Shows you might be constantly asking the manager to intervene rather than figure out a way to handle on your own.

Managers don't want to be bugged if you can figure out a way to resolve. They want results, not someone escalating things to the manager.
I think your advice on most posts is spot on, but on this issue disagree.

As I posted earlier I was in a similar situation. The HR rep kept asking for more and more information, but it was on "onesie,twosie" basis.

He asked for references, then he wanted copies of my current jobs performance reviews, then salary history, etc.

When I told him we were on a salary freeze to avoid layoffs at my current job at the university I worked for he said "I find that hard to believe".

He then wanted a reference from my current boss, that was when I went over his head.

I had enough of the lack of professional behavior and left a calm voice mail explaining what was going on to the woman who would be my boss.

She called me back and apologized and said that is not the way they should treat job candidates and the job was mine if I wanted it.

The OP isn't doing anything wrong, there is nothing wrong with saying to her perspective boss in a calm email/v mail what is going on and just sticking with the facts.

Again, if this HR women needed more information then the four references provided she should have stated that when she started the hiring process.

I can almost guarantee there will be another "roadblock" that will pop up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search