Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:49 PM

652 posts, read 1,276,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Other posters who have some ideas.

IMO, I think a week is enough since she insisted on you needing two references from former supervisors who would provide more than just employment verification.

You did that last Wens, today is Monday and she still hasn't contacted them.

So I think a polite e-mail to her and the adminstrator(so someone else is aware of the hold up) just asking a status is OK. Obviously you contacted your references and they're expecting this call. Which should have happened by last Friday.

Because in the e-mails you shared with me she told you she needed this in order to proceed and made it sound kind of urgent. You supplied that information and now she is sitting on it for some reason.

Very odd.

In the meantime you go on this other interview.
got it! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:53 PM

Default re

Should I cc administrator or send her a different polite e-mail? The reason I am asking is because I don't want to look like a trouble maker when every time I e-mail HR I cc administrator...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
got it! Thanks.
You're very welcome, keep us posted.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
I don't think OP should be cc'ing the admin person. Admin person works at same place as HR. Admin person and HR should be keeping eachother in the loop. Since OP is still an "outsider" (basically, an applicant at this point, since no offer extended yet). OP should not be keeping Administrater in the loop. Admin is already in the loop, or should be.

IMO, it is too early to contact HR for follow up. It has only been a few days. Many companies these days laid off people, so HR might be doing lots of other tasks, other than just checking references. They might have attended a 2 day job fair, or administrated a 3 day training class to internal employees. HR does all that stuff. Or maybe they are in the middle of the annual "open enrollment" for benefits, which occurs this time of year at most companies.

Also, reference checks are just one part of what HR/the company does before they extend an offer. They might do a background or credit check. They might be in the middle of getting approval from upper management on the offer letter and exact pay rate that will be offerred. Sometimes the approving manager takes a few days to review and approve these things. Maybe they have a weekly status meeting where new hires are discussed - and maybe this weekly meeting has not yet occurred.

Bottom line, these things take time.

Last edited by sware2cod; 12-12-2011 at 07:51 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 07:22 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Ok I found two of the Nurses' cell numbers who I assisted and reported to, but they were not my supervisors. Can HR still deny employment? HR wants somebody who supervised me directly or indirectly...The supervisor left the company and I don't have her phone number only the the Registered Nurses who I reported to.?
If you reported to someone, I would think that is a supervisor. I guess it is how you define supervisor.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I don't think OP should be cc'ing the admin person. Admin person works at same place as HR. Admin person and HR should be keeping eachother in the loop. Since OP is still an "outsider" (basically, an applicant at this point, since no offer extended yet). OP should not be keeping Administrater in the loop. Admin is already in the loop, or should be.

IMO, it is too early to contact HR for follow up. It has only been a few days. Many companies these days laid off people, so HR might be doing lots of other talks, other than just checking references. They might have attended a 2 day job fair, or administrated a 3 day training class to internal employees. HR does all that stuff. Or maybe they are in the middle of the annual "open enrollment" for benefits, which occurs this time of year at most companies.

Also, reference checks are just one part of what HR/the company does before they extend and offer. They might do a background or credit check. They might be in the middle of getting approval from upper management on the offer letter and exact pay rate that will be extended. Sometimes the approving manager takes a few days to review and approve these things. Maybe they have a weekly status meeting where new hires are discussed - and maybe this weekly meeting has not yet occurred.

You are right on HR person works at same place as administrator but not in same building and department....and the communication between the two can't be totally different as mine to HR and administrator....

Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
You are right on HR person works at same place as administrator but not in same building and department....and the communication between the two can't be totally different as mine to HR and administrator....
But you don't work there and you have to be careful about crossing the line and appearing overly pushy.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
But you don't work there and you have to be careful about crossing the line and appearing overly pushy.
I do understand, and that is why I am here to get some advise...but what if HR person and administrator have a different convo than I with HR and administrator....don't you think I should cc or send a separate e-mail to administrator to let her know the fact not complaining or whining or point fingers just saying what's going on why my references haven't been contacted yet?

Last edited by katalin; 12-12-2011 at 08:19 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:

IMO, it is too early to contact HR for follow up. It has only been a few days. Many companies these days laid off people, so HR might be doing lots of other tasks, other than just checking references. They might have attended a 2 day job fair, or administrated a 3 day training class to internal employees. HR does all that stuff. Or maybe they are in the middle of the annual "open enrollment" for benefits, which occurs this time of year at most companies.

Also, reference checks are just one part of what HR/the company does before they extend an offer. They might do a background or credit check. They might be in the middle of getting approval from upper management on the offer letter and exact pay rate that will be offerred. Sometimes the approving manager takes a few days to review and approve these things. Maybe they have a weekly status meeting where new hires are discussed - and maybe this weekly meeting has not yet occurred.

You have some valid points. But you don't have the whole story.

Katalin had shared with me some of the e-mails through DMs. The Admin. wanted to have her hired pending the reference check and into a new employee orientation which has now passed.

The HR woman was very adamant in her e-mail about the OP getting those two references(the e-mail had an urgent tone to it) which were provided last Wednesday.

When HR asks for references they should call them within a couple of days, both references have said they have not been contacted.

At what point should she just inquire? The references were the last step in the hiring process.

This HR woman has been inept and a poor communicator from the start, she is also not a full time employee of the hospital(might even be a temp).

She doesn't seem to be very "well rounded" in the hiring protocol. For example she didn't seem to know that some companies will only verify employment. At one point she was asking that people break their company rules, a seasoned HR person would know better.

So Katalin got two supervisors to be references who are no longer at the companies they both worked at.

If it were me I would like someone else on their end know what is going on. Maybe someone else in the HR dept.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 PM

Default Another interview today

So I had another interview today with same hospital but different department. I applied for a few jobs within the hospital. Anyways, I had a 1 hr 30 minutes interview. This administrator liked me also, and he said he has 4 people to choose from but it's up to HR. He said even if I don't get the job he will let me know about other opportunities. So I asked him who will be calling me from HR I almost fell off the chair LOL when he said her name. It is the same HR person! Questions:

1. I didn't say anything to this administrator guy, should I have said something that I am still waiting for an offer from another department and I have already met HR person? Should I mention this in thank you letter to him?

2. Since HR person finds out I went for another interview (I applied for few jobs on same day), what do you think what's going to happen here...In my mind since they haven't called my references I am still looking, but I didn't know I will have to deal with same HR chick....what is she going to think? What scenario I am in LOL....waiting for responses, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search