Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 PM

652 posts, read 1,276,854 times

Advertisements

Should I call that nurse back and tell her not.to give reference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 06:58 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
Should I call that nurse back and tell her not.to give reference?
NO. That would be worse. She already said she will only give basic info.

This is one reason there are several references. You gave more than one.

I am sure HRs run into this often these days.

FYI...My last company they always drilled into supervisors and non-supervisors to NEVER give reference for anyone no matter what. Always transfer to HR. Then HR would only give basic info(job title, start/stop date, etc) . It was all out of fear for lawsuits. This was mentioned periodically.

This has put a lot of fear into some supervisors. Likely this nurse took this fear with her and is afraid to give other than the basics, even though she is no longer on the job. It was drilled into her that she does not give out this info. She could be afraid to cause any issues with that prior company (burn bridges, then maybe later she gets a bad reference for going against policy). Also she could be afraid of a lawsuit on her end simply because of her training about never giving this info out.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I still say you will save yourself a ton of grief if you buy some burn phones and give them to friends or relatives and have them pretend to be supervisors. You are in a no win situation here stuck between an HR person full of themselves with their head up their rear and a typical company policy to only verify that a person worked there.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:19 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Cool yeah well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
I did but HR said "I apologize if this process seems a little intense but we have high standards for our hiring process and obtaining 2 supervisory references is a non negotiable process." I am very upset, but luckily I find one of the Nurse cell number who used to supervise me, but I need one more for the other job. Can I use one of my friend?
then they should know that 'legally' the only thing they can be told is if you are eligible for rehire or not. Give them the direct number to HR, that's really all you should be doing anyway.
Koale

Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
NO. That would be worse. She already said she will only give basic info.

This is one reason there are several references. You gave more than one.

I am sure HRs run into this often these days.

FYI...My last company they always drilled into supervisors and non-supervisors to NEVER give reference for anyone no matter what. Always transfer to HR. Then HR would only give basic info(job title, start/stop date, etc) . It was all out of fear for lawsuits. This was mentioned periodically.

This has put a lot of fear into some supervisors. Likely this nurse took this fear with her and is afraid to give other than the basics, even though she is no longer on the job. It was drilled into her that she does not give out this info. She could be afraid to cause any issues with that prior company (burn bridges, then maybe later she gets a bad reference for going against policy). Also she could be afraid of a lawsuit on her end simply because of her training about never giving this info out.
Sorry, that is a little extreme. When you give someone as a reference it is because you expect them to say something positive about you. They're going to say things that get you hired, not prevent you from getting the job.

Whether it is a former boss, coworker, someone who you did volunteer work with,etc. You only go with people who have your back.

You're in FL, which is known as a state that is not "worker friendly". People are let go at the drop of of a hat, so they be more sensitive to giving out that kind of information.

Malumute gave a good and funny example, the woman quickly said before transferring to HR that the candidate was a great guy. I don't see how that is going to create a lawsuit?

This has turned into a Catch 22 for the OP, they want two people who had some type of supervisory role to give her an "atta boy" to get the green light to be hired.

Why this nurse who is no longer associated with company/hospital they both worked at doesn't want to do that we don't know. Maybe she dislikes the OP or doesn't really know her that well, but for some reason she doesn't want to do it. There are people who just won't lift a finger to help others.

They're going to ask a couple of general questions and be on the phone probably less than 3 minutes.

If she can't just say a few nice things for whatever reason then she should just decline altogether.

I would suggest calling her back and saying "thanks anyway I found someone who is more comfortable talking to them from another job, but I appreciate your help".

Then find that person.

Because WTP of having someone verifying that they worked with her and nothing else? That is not what this HR woman wants.

What she needs to do is find one more person(she mentioned earlier that it could be someone who supervised directly or indirectly) and be VERY CLEAR on the phone with them on this situation.

And find someone who will go to bat for her.

She already has 4 verifications of employment, she doesn't need a 5th.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry, that is a little extreme. When you give someone as a reference it is because you expect them to say something positive about you. They're going to say things that get you hired, not prevent you from getting the job.

Whether it is a former boss, coworker, someone who you did volunteer work with,etc. You only go with people who have your back.

You're in FL, which is known as a state that is not "worker friendly". People are let go at the drop of of a hat, so they be more sensitive to giving out that kind of information.

Malumute gave a good and funny example, the woman quickly said before transferring to HR that the candidate was a great guy. I don't see how that is going to create a lawsuit?

This has turned into a Catch 22 for the OP, they want two people who had some type of supervisory role to give her an "atta boy" to get the green light to be hired.

Why this nurse who is no longer associated with company/hospital they both worked at doesn't want to do that we don't know. Maybe she dislikes the OP or doesn't really know her that well, but for some reason she doesn't want to do it. There are people who just won't lift a finger to help others.

They're going to ask a couple of general questions and be on the phone probably less than 3 minutes.

If she can't just say a few nice things for whatever reason then she should just decline altogether.

I would suggest calling her back and saying "thanks anyway I found someone who is more comfortable talking to them from another job, but I appreciate your help".

Then find that person.

Because WTP of having someone verifying that they worked with her and nothing else? That is not what this HR woman wants.

What she needs to do is find one more person(she mentioned earlier that it could be someone who supervised directly or indirectly) and be VERY CLEAR on the phone with them on this situation.

The issue here is that the OP already gave the Nurse's contact info to HR as a supervisory reference. Agree, don't use that nurse for the next reference. Next time use someone that will be glowing for you.

Since the phone# has been given to HR already, what ya' gonna do...call the Nurse now and tell her 'never mind'? Not really. Because HR is going to contact the Nurse and then Nurse would say "I can't give a reference for her, bye". This is much worse than the nurse simply giving basic info like she already said she would do and then stating the standard legal mumbo jumbo CYA.

Also you don't want the OP to contact HR at this point and say, BTW, please ignore that nurse as a supervisor reference.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:00 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

hy this nurse who is no longer associated with company/hospital they both worked at doesn't want to do that we don't know. Maybe she dislikes the OP or doesn't really know her that well, but for some reason she doesn't want to do it. There are people who just won't lift a finger to help others.

Then find that person.

I know but I already gave HR her number and if I tell HR I found somebody else to talk to HR will be suspicious. I think it will be OK because the other nurse is a supervisor, and I gave another manager's number from an other job. I am in PA not FL anymore.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
OP,

This seems like a very dramatic place to work.

Are you sure you want to work under this kind of management?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I agree at this point if I had another offer I'd tell them to stick it. What this place fails to realize is the more they let HR jerk people around the more they are selecting for desperate employees and against people with other options. I mean for pete sake getting a top secret level job with the fed isn't this much of a hassle.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:21 PM

Default re

I agree with you, but this is a very big hospital where it's not easy to get in. I wouldn't be dealing with this HR person much anyways once I get in. There are other HR people around but this HR chick handles my hiring unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search