Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 12:02 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times

Advertisements

GM, It is going to require much more time. If you are open to taking a job that doesn't involve geology, you will need a 2nd resume. We can break out the steps.

Mission 1:
Google career specific examples Do as many different keyword searches as you can. Use at least a dozen different keywords and combinations. You will create 2 resumes.

Here are 2 examples for an general office skills resume:
clerk "MS office" resume
administrative "MS office" resume

Here are 2 examples for a cartography resume:
"geology major" resume
Arcgis resume

I have done the last one for you.

arcgis resumes - Google Search

Here is one of the resumes found in google. Holly Davis - GIS Analyst

Provided graphic design support for USA and Canadian offices including creating an invitation for a wind farm ground breaking ceremony in 2008.

Provided mapping training and advice to numerous staff from other research teams in addition to the Landscape Ecology Team.

It does have a long of list of GIS job tasks. However, she also tells me how she utilized her GIS job tasks. I know she can use mapping software. However, I know she utilized her mapping skills for a major project that involved national and Canadian offices. She is also able to teach and train other staff, in addition to creating maps.

You will need several more examples to get better ideas.

Complete this mission by next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 03:31 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Your SUMMARY needs work. It should not have an objective within. Summary should be a paragraph that explains you. Your quick synopsis of your extpertise, your specialty, your experience, your niche, your education. It's your selling point...it's your high level summary of your entire resume in a few sentences. If they like the summary, they will continue reading.

Do not state what you want to do in the summary. Do not state your career goals or job goal in the summary.

Google some resumes to see some sample of what others have for summary. Yours is still an objective.

Also for your experience...put the years to the far right. Leave the job title and company name on the left.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
4-5 deliverables as bullet points for each job with a sentence that describe your basic job title/responsibilities and the type of company.(List the company name, your title there, basics of your responsibilites/ a brief description of the company if needed....then go after the 4-5 major accomplishments you did (projects/deliverables).

Deliverables that have general measurements are good on a resume. For example " improved error rate by 10% by removing unsupported links" , or

"reduced call volume for to help desk by 20% creating web help document with step by step instructions."

as the above poster suggested about the scope of the maps, but the size/scope of the project.

Other numbers related accomplishments: "Delivered project of XYX 2 weeks before Due Date, resulting in earlier roll out of end product to customers."
While you're generally right, these types of accomplishments do not come with entry level jobs. These are accomplishments of more senior level positions, where you would be expected to have some ownership or management stake in the service.

As someone who works on a help desk, I might be given project parameters and told to implement them, but I have no say in how the scope of the project is defined, how it's run, the business side, etc. Since I don't already have project management experience, it's unlikely I can graduate into a more advanced role like this because I've never done it before. He is not going to have much hard data to show in his resume because he has little experience and he won't be given a position and the responsibility it entails without having substantial prior experience. That's the whole point of this thread.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:40 AM

Houston would be a great place to move with your GIS skills. The pipeline and energy companies need GIS for new leases, pipelines, oil rigs, natural gas rigs, etc. Some energy companies require GIS skills for alternative energy such as wind farms and solar energy projects.

Most of the experienced people wait until January/February for their bonus, before leaving for another company. Now is a good time for less experienced people to apply. If you have Houston listed in relocation preferences for your online job profiles, it will make it easier for recruiters to contact you.

Last edited by move4ward; 10-25-2012 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Houston would be a great place to move with your GIS skills. The pipeline and energy companies need GIS for new leases, pipelines, oil rigs, natural gas rigs, etc. Some energy companies require GIS skills for alternative energy such as wind farms and solar energy projects.

Most of the experienced people wait until January/February for their bonus, before leaving for another company. Now is a good time for less experienced people to apply. If you have Houston listed in relocation preferences for your online job profiles, it will make it easier for recruiters to contact you.
That is where I have applied for jobs at.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Your SUMMARY needs work. It should not have an objective within. Summary should be a paragraph that explains you. Your quick synopsis of your extpertise, your specialty, your experience, your niche, your education. It's your selling point...it's your high level summary of your entire resume in a few sentences. If they like the summary, they will continue reading.

Do not state what you want to do in the summary. Do not state your career goals or job goal in the summary.

Google some resumes to see some sample of what others have for summary. Yours is still an objective.

Also for your experience...put the years to the far right. Leave the job title and company name on the left.
Update.

SUMMARY
Geographer with a specific skillset in cartography and GIS. Highly detail-oriented and organized. Can manage multiple projects at once. Highly committed to the field of geography. Can work as part of a team, as well as independently.

EDUCATION: KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY
Bachelor of Arts in Geography July 2012

EXPERIENCE:
Cartographer Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park Kennesaw, GA 1/2012 to 4/2012

-Utilized ArcGIS, Google Earth, and GPS to design an updated park map and an environmental trail map.
-The range of the maps varied from 1.76 square miles to 4.5 square mile map.
-Acquired additional skills which included the used of GPS units and software

Student Assistant ISRS at Kennesaw State University Kennesaw, GA 1/2011 to 5/2012

-Assisted and mentored international students with transitioning to American life. This is something one does as an advisor or leader.
-Created bulletin boards is where the aspect of creativity stood out. The themes chosen were world events and facts about different nations. Creativity was also used in making and presenting a PowerPoint slide show regarding the subject of geography.

-Assisting in enforcing the rules of the International Student Retention Services.

OTHER SKILLS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
-Experience using Microsoft Office Applications.
-Experience with ERDAS and Adobe Illustrator
-Experience using XML and KML files.
-Participated in a stream restoration and water quality monitoring project, monitoring bacteria and pH levels.
-Experience using laboratory equipment, chemicals, and water quality testing.
-Familiar with geographic analyses, tables, and graphics.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is where I have applied for jobs at.
Do you have your resume posted?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Do you have your resume posted?
I posted it.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:39 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
On Tuesday I received my BA in Geography. I couldn't have been happier. Now reality is setting in. I have been having trouble finding any work. I have been turned down from so many jobs. Every job I've looked up, it requires at least 2 or 3 years experience, maybe more. Right now I'm looking for jobs in cartography, GIS, surveying, and other things related to geography. Finding a posting that takes a geography degree isn't the problem. Finding a job that doesn't require experience is next to impossible. I'm willing to relocate out of state. In fact, I want to. However, the problem is finding anything. I'm wondering what is going to happen to other college students right now.
OMG, youve been looking for over two months and nothing???!! Wow, I just don't believe it, How strange, Every person I talk to finds a job before they even finished getting fired, or some even before they cross the stage for their diploma. what has this economy done when someone can't find a job in 60 to 90 days. You better just give it up and go on permanent welfare or disability. Im really sorry this is happening to you...

Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 PM

The updated resume is still far behind, where it should be. I would attend a weekly job hunting class or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search