Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 12:35 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times

Advertisements

Further: I don't care how you judge and condemn people. Unless you're personally paying their rent/mortgage, bills and putting food on their table nothing judgmental you say has any value to them. You can quote the Bible, Vedas, Suras, Koran and Torah. You can quote Bugs Bunny, Marvel Comics and Shakespeare, for all they care. They will find a way to survive and get hired. They will work right alongside all the self righteous judges, who won't even know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Further: I don't care how you judge and condemn people. Unless you're personally paying their rent/mortgage, bills and putting food on their table nothing judgmental you say has any value to them. You can quote the Bible, Vedas, Suras, Koran and Torah. You can quote Bugs Bunny, Marvel Comics and Shakespeare, for all they care. They will find a way to survive and get hired. They will work right alongside all the self righteous judges, who won't even know it.
Well those self righteous judges are liars too, as has been pointed out in this thread when one of them was caught. So in essence they will work right alongside another liar, who will preach and deny until the day they die that they don't lie and are 100% honest 100% of the time. Even those that quote Bible scripture are liars. And in some cases habitual liars. Anyone that claims they are ALWAYS honest is not being truthful. Give me a break

Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
These days you have to fake it till you make it. In either case, I don't think anyone should lie about where they went to school, or even say they have degrees that they really don't have. Because that's dumb anyway, even a mildly attentive employer is going to catch that.

Sometimes stretching the truth about your experience, things you've done, etc is ok within reason. I know for the first 4 years of my career I struggled. I was pretty much working a lot of low level IT jobs, though I had the knowledge and skill level to do more. I was afraid to apply for positions because I convinced myself I would never past the interview. I then found a friend who basically told me that the worse thing that could happen is that you get the job, do bad at it, and then get fired. And in retrospect he made a lot of sense. I started hamming up resume quite of bit, and applying for jobs I was "unqualified for" on paper.

I just know the minute I got a better job, I went in there and I brought the house down. I was easily the best person there. But on paper, if I had told the truth completely, I would have never even been called in for an interview. I worked the hell out of the job, and I do very very well. Part of me had wondered if I could do the job well, but I did. Now I have the experience to the point I don't have to lie. but yeah if you're smart and talented, but there may be a few barriers, go ahead and lie a little. It's not like everyone in a high position in corporate America was ridiculously qualified or had everything a job was looking for on their resume. There are probably more liars walking around corporate America, because you need to do a little lying to get certain positions. That's just the way it works

Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 PM

494 posts, read 1,917,171 times
Corporate America is funny, I know so many Fortune 500 companies who claim operating with "the highest ethics", they even have code of ethics manuals etc., give LONG sermons to their employees about honesty, integrity etc. then are caught red handed doing some of the sleaziest things...

Old 10-06-2012, 01:12 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Corporate America is funny, I know so many Fortune 500 companies who claim operating with "the highest ethics", they even have code of ethics manuals etc., give LONG sermons to their employees about honesty, integrity etc. then are caught red handed doing some of the sleaziest things...
Generally, unethical behavior in an organization can be isolated to an individual or group of people. It is not the actions of the corporation as a whole. Enron is an outlier.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:34 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
I, for one, will not presume to preach to you about lying. Lie like a rug, all you like.

But you forfeit any claim to criticize others (yeah, employers) for doing the same thing.

Don't get sanctimonious about behavior you advocate for yourself.
But it is the collusion between industry and government that caused the situation that we find ourselves, in, in which we must lie to survive. I think we have every right to criticize those who have betrayed us.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Generally, unethical behavior in an organization can be isolated to an individual or group of people. It is not the actions of the corporation as a whole. Enron is an outlier.

Generally if scandals from individuals are reaching the media (which corporations hate) then something is generally not right with the overall management structure in the organization. In general it means at the highest level things are out of control and out of hand. The only way big debacles can happen is if there is some level of dishonesty coming from the top. So I think it's more than a group, but a culture which originate from the top.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
But it is the collusion between industry and government that caused the situation that we find ourselves, in, in which we must lie to survive. I think we have every right to criticize those who have betrayed us.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
I have listed "fabrications" on my resumes: I've "stretched" my tenure at certain jobs and I've listed certain computer programs that I know would help me get my resume noticed. I've also exaggerated some responsibilities. The worst thing I have ever listed was a totally non-existent job to fill-in a gap of no employment. I don't feel proud of my stretching the truth but...

The thing I would never lie about on a resume is education. I believe this is the easiest item a potential employer can check.

-Cheers.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Sometimes the company will lie even BEFORE hiring someone. Their job ad will state one thing, but once in the interview they will claim something else.
BINGO. It has happend to me on numerous occasions and its always the compensation. "What the ad you read meant to say is blah, blah, blah...."

-Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search