Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM

653 posts, read 1,803,597 times

Advertisements

Because for a while we had a few here browbeating people and kicking them while they were down. Wagging their finger at lying, while blatantly lying themselves.

We busted them out though, and now they've disappeared for the most part, or changed their feathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 03:18 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,525,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Because for a while we had a few here browbeating people and kicking them while they were down. Wagging their finger at lying, while blatantly lying themselves.

We busted them out though, and now they've disappeared for the most part, or changed their feathers.
Yeah.It was just ridiculous.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:00 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,543,057 times
I've seen people fired for lying on their resume and/or application - the most shocking one was a person that was hired as the new HR Manager!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:50 PM

446 posts, read 997,866 times
To be quite honest, I have no issues with people who embellish on their resume or interviews. Not flat out lie, but stretch the truth. Because let's be honest, employers do the same in their job descriptions to draw in candidates. Talking about room for advancement, or some such when usually there is none.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
To be quite honest, I have no issues with people who embellish on their resume or interviews. Not flat out lie, but stretch the truth. Because let's be honest, employers do the same in their job descriptions to draw in candidates. Talking about room for advancement, or some such when usually there is none.
Yep.

One time I had an interviewer tell me upfront that the company has a high turnover.

Ok...why would you tell a prospective employee that your workers aren't actually happy working here?

Old 09-29-2012, 06:02 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post

And I find it interesting how all of those in this thread (and they know who they are) was pointing their finger at us, but when that hypocrite was busted for being a liar himself they didn't have a word to say. But I thought it was wrong to be a liar? I guess if you are HNSQ it is okay to be one and not have fingers pointing

Old 09-29-2012, 06:12 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,268,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
Hello, I was wondering about this topic lately because of the tough job market and economy. I've mainly been truthful about my skills and work history and most of the time I've been screwed up the know what. I want to start telling lies on my resume and interview because I feel that is the best way to get a job offer rather than to tell the truth and get screwed over. I want to put a company that is out of business on my resume and hopefully receive some phone calls/emails from employers/recruiters; they cannot contact the employer because they out of business. I know for a fact that A LOT of people lie on their resume and in interviews and most get away with it!!! I understand that some people will say that don't lie because it will come back to haunt you well I say so what??? Telling that lie got you the interview and the job offer. There are Fortune 500 company CEO's that have lied for example the former Yahoo CEO who lied about his computer science degree and even though he got fired he still got over 5 million dollars in pay!!!

What do you guys think about this? Have you done it? and if so what was the result?

Anything helps guys because I do read all of your post and respond accordingly.

Thanks in advance
I wish I could advise you to go ahead and lie on your resume but I can't. Human Resources people have the advantage over any person who applies for a position within their company. They have ways to do background checks on you that you just wouldn't believe. I have a relative who works as a Human Resources person and they use fancy software as well as something as simple as Facebook or Twitter. The mistake people do make is lying and thinking they won't be caught and yes it will come back to bite you in your butt..that is for sure.

Start by going over your interview process and see if there could be something you are doing or not doing that could be an issue. Something as simple as how you sit when talking to someone could be doing you in. I was always told to NEVER sit with my arms folded..shows I am protecting myself or something in my background. Let the person interviewing you ask the questions and then be sure to bring up any questions you may have when the interviewer is DONE talking.

Don't interrupt the interviewer, make sure you tell the interviewer exactly why you want to work for their company. Remember....they want an employee who is truly interested in what the company does not just someone who wants a paycheck so do some history checking on the company before you get to your interview.

When the interview is over, shake hands..thank the interviewer and when you get home write a nice letter saying how great it was to speak with them, how interested you are in working with their company and how you feel you would be a good asset for their company. Tell them you are looking forward to hearing from them.

Again..tell the truth..be friendly...act interested and sure of yourself then do a follow up. In the meantime, stay off Facebook and Twitter with any tall tales about yourself and keep it clean while on those sites. Big Brother DOES watch you.

Good Luck!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:07 AM

653 posts, read 1,803,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
+1

When both sides are exaggerating it becomes a 'through the looking-glass' world. No one trusts anyone and we're set up with adversarialism which is hard to overcome.

Societies were built through COOPERATION, not adversarialism. Andywire is not a lion chasing down the gazelle, as he thinks. He's been propagandized into advocating for the Rich when he will never be one, despite his dreams.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:14 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,981,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlemhottie View Post
I've been unemployed roughly for about four years, now. During this time, I've utilized the services of employment agencies, and it's been almost a year since my last assignment. There are significant gaps on my resume due to this. I never outright lie on my resume; I just fudge the dates. I have omitted organizations in which I've worked only a month and a half or two and it didn't work out. I would never make up a company or inflate a title. I don't lie about education. The only thing I stretch are the dates to cover up the gaps. I haven't been offered a permanent position in YEARS. I've been on numerous interviews, sometimes before filling out an application, I don't even hear back from these ppl. So, I can't always assume it's because they've done a thorough background check and the dates didn't match. I always just assume it's too much competition out there and that's why I don't get hired.

However, this time, I got my foot in the door of a company that wasn't even posting jobs on a website. My last temp agency experience was within their industry, so I forwarded my resume asking if they had any openings. They happen to have had something they were trying to fill asap, as a new location opened up. HR thought I was perfect. Sent me in to speak with the manager, who seemed very interested. One more hurdle to get throug-I had to interview with the MANAGER's boss. Not quite sure how that went, but he seemed interested enough. I knew my stuff; certainly held my own in all three of the interviews within this company. That was a week ago exactly, and I haven't heard anything. I'm on pins and needles because I'm thinking what if the fact that I stretched dates prevents me from getting the job? I was upfront with HR about my sh*tty credit; they said they wouldn't be checking it for my position. Most likely they would check for education verification and terrorist lists and of course criminal. So, I'm in the clear there, but what gives? Either the manager's boss didn't like me or they uncovered the stretched dates. I haven't heard anything in a week and they were rushing me to meet all these ppl as if they were ready to hire on the spot.

It's like a catch 22-if I'm truthful, and leave those gaps on my resume, employers will NOT be interested in bringing me in for an interview. So, I just take the risk and push forward with my fudged dates, hoping and praying that the only background check they do is for criminal and they utilize the references I've provided. I guess this is the way I'll continue until I get lucky. It's really disheartening.
Are you going to call them to ask the status? They could have just gotten a last minute candidate. I thought that the only thing they usually verified on your employment history were the dates and department or something.

I had a gap in my resume and I just put something that they could not check. I said I managed family property, that we owned income producing property. That other fellow who said he got the name of a business that went under and used them to fill the gap.

The thing is not to do anything that they can catch you at, but it's like being an athlete and taking drugs - if your competition is doing it you are kind of obliged to.

I am so sorry for your dilemma.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:22 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,981,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Regards to a job or not - I believe it is NEVER a good policy to lie to anyone, anytime, about any thing. It weighs on a person's conscience (if they have one), it is an accurate barometer of personal integrity, you will never be "caught", and you will never have to strain to remember what you told to whom regarding whatever. Life becomes much easier to deal with if you approach it honestly, in a mature manner, and regardless of what someone else may believe or choose to live their lives, telling the truth in all matters I believe eliminates unnecessary stress, doubt, worry, etc. You do not have to please anyone but yourself, or defend yourself for any reason. After you practice doing it for a while it becomes second nature and you can accurately decipher if you are being lied to just by listening and watching carefully. This is just my personal approach to life in general - and you did ask.....
I think everyone has their breaking point.
There is a woman I know. Her husband is a contractor and has not had work for a long time. Her sons are unemployed and living at home. She may lose the family house that has been in the family for generations - built by them. She is the only one working to support this mess.

Yeah, she should kick the kids out. They should be bringing in something, but what can she do, disown them? Yeah, maybe she should kick the husband out and tell him to get some other job, anything, but she still loves him.

The fact is, if she lost her job and had a gap and needed a reference and I could provide it, I would not hesitate.

People who say they would not lie, in my book, have just not been desperate enough - yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search