Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM

844 posts, read 2,020,957 times

Advertisements

You know I used to be all the facts all the time. Never fudge, never puff up, just good old fashioned midwest understatement and modesty. Since I've moved out of the midwest and worked for start ups and a large corporation I realized that people lie ALL THE TIME. About how good the product is, about what it's capable of, about how unique their business prop is, about how bold and daring their marketing plan is, about how much influence they have, about whose idea something was, what they believe the future of the business is, about how good their leads are, about how talented they or their team are, about what they've accomplished, what they're going to do. It's mind boggling. And those people very often get taken seriously. They get good paying jobs with authority. They get raises and promotions.

I work with one woman who comes to meetings with me and spouts a lot of gibberish about great meetings she had with company leadership, about how we're on a "great trajectory", about how it's all about the next steps and taking it to the next level. It's all puffed up bull****. She never actually says who is actually going to do what or when. There are no actual facts or concrete information or plans. And she just got promoted. While I sit there doing actual work with actual deliverables and results and am stuck at the same level for years.

The fact is people don't WANT to hear the facts, they don't want reality. They want to hear a good, fantastic, inspring story. And people who give them those stories get rewarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
First day of work?? No one works on Day 1 they are completing paperwork, meeting their coworkers, and getting their work area set up
Not all jobs entail bureaucratic BS, people do work on day one.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
You know I used to be all the facts all the time.
Never fudge, never puff up, just good old fashioned midwest understatement and modesty.
That may be taking a good thing a bit too far.
Being vague here or stretching something there... isn't lying.

Quote:
Since I've moved out of the midwest and worked for start ups and a large corporation
I realized that people lie ALL THE TIME.
How many others do you suppose can also see who is lying?

Quote:
The fact is people don't WANT to hear the facts, they don't want reality.
They want to hear a good, fantastic, inspring story.
Sorta like all the advocates for bald faced lying around here?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:29 PM

121 posts, read 217,404 times
Normally i would say no to lying, but in my case having an artistic background, there aren't enough lies available to get me a job! LoL so because i won't lie on my resume, i remain unemployed 8 years and counting. Ohh well.
They make it so hard to get jobs for those of us who had careers that I personally lost all hope.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia10 View Post
Normally i would say no to lying, but in my case having an artistic background,
there aren't enough lies available to get me a job!
Are you referring to career type positions?
Something that relate to your art or art education or art background?

Or just some get by, gotta pay the rent job?

Missing that distinction seems to be a common error in this thread.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:12 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBENEDICT View Post
You are talking about a JOB APPLICATION; not a resume.

I'm fully aware of the fine print regarding a job application.
No, I am not. Read the fine print. When you submit a resume, anything that is found to be untrue can also come back to haunt you.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 PM

121 posts, read 217,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Are you referring to career type positions?
Something that relate to your art or art education or art background?

Or just some get by, gotta pay the rent job?

Missing that distinction seems to be a common error in this thread.
It doesn't matter, its like this:
1. In my old field i would make $20 per week bc ballet is not popular here, and i would need to "know" someone to even get an interview, in Europe with the kind of stage experience I have, I would make a lot more bc of the different levels of respect for that field. Here they care about a "degree" in ballet which is retared bc ballet happens on stage, and No book will match that experience.
2. Retail says "I dont have experience", which is true, also true is that without being given an opportunity one will never gain experience! (Duh!)
3. My 11 years of graphic design experience, self taught + one year college (had to drop bc of the cost), won't get me anywhere since my resume doesnt read: 2 years experience + 4 year degree!

The end!

My work ethic doesn't allow me to lie, and so I remain unemployed.
Good people that want to work don't get that opportunity, and those who would rather sit on the couch doing nothing do.
I also don't apply for jobs that I don't know anything about like accounting! To put it in one word I am SOL. No money to finish school, no disposable income for gas to run around town applying in person, no references, and no time thanks to having to take my son to therapies 6 times a week!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Is eating worth "being a scumbag?" How about buying new shoes for your child, whose toes are poking out through the old ones?

Just trying to calibrate my self righteousness meter.
Stealing to do so isn't worth being a scumbag. I would rather use food kitchens, sell what assets I have, and do anything possible instead of lying to find a job. For two years I rode a bicycle to and from work 11 miles each way to save enough money to support myself. If you have sold your car, sold your house, gave up what you own and are taking help from food kitchens, unemployment, section 8, etc. and still need more time to find a job, then let's talk. Until then, lying to get a job is a very scumbag thing to do.

What lengths of personal sacrifice are you willing to go through before you start lying?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:33 PM

244 posts, read 634,345 times
One thing my friend claims is that employers virtually never check for authentic of Claims of College graduation outside of certain fields (Medical, Law, executives etc.), and Associates especially can be lied about, even Bachelors. He said he's done it several times. Has he gotten lucky or is this actually true?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 PM

244 posts, read 634,345 times
And also what are you folks lying about? Making up anecdotal stories? Adding fake employers on resumes? How do you keep up with it? I can't even imagine, but I don't judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search