Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:55 PM

943 posts, read 1,198,645 times

Advertisements

Last time I was in Downtown LA was 2010 (Jan/Feb) has anything changed? I love the architecture and would if I could, move ASAP from Manhattan if I had the resources and the area was gentrified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 10:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes there are a lot of issues for sure. Also it's a lot harder to live on min wage in L.A versus pretty much any city in America besides maybe SF or NYC.

The question is do the homeless/poor/ etc have a RIGHT to live in L.A if everyday middle class people many that went to college have to move because they can't afford L.A?

If you don't work anyways and/or are on welfare or Section 8, I don't see why one has a RIGHT to live in L.A?..

Also if one is "unemployed" and actually looking for a job..you can do a lot better than our over 9% unemployment rate.

Why does one view that stance as harsh, but it seems commonsense for a 'middle class' person to have to leave because they can't afford L.A?
Where in this country is going to be willing and able to take such a huge influx of poor people?

Btw, LA needs poor people. Someone has to do the minimum wage work and low skill work that's done in LA. Yes, those people do exist.

There's also the issue of the state and federal courts which so far are not allowing a mass kick out of people from Skid Row. In all likeliness Skid Row will be preventing the full gentrification of Downtown Los Angeles for a very long time.

Every city and even small towns have good areas and bad area. Skid Row is one of LA's bad areas. If you move those people out of there to another area, it will become a bad area.

They demolished the housing projects in Chicago. How did that work out? The areas they settled in became ghettoes as the people continued their bad habits.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:28 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Last time I was in Downtown LA was 2010 (Jan/Feb) has anything changed? I love the architecture and would if I could, move ASAP from Manhattan if I had the resources and the area was gentrified.
It has changed a whole lot.

While I don't think the architecture is great at all, a lot of new restaurants and bars have opened up. It's a truly unique new neighborhood in Los Angeles with it's own identity. The BEST place for foodies in LA is downtown, it has the best places for craft drinks, and is the least touristy and is a great place to meet people. It's 100% walkable, livable, and many people who live there ever leave because EVERYTHING is at their fingertips.

While it's isolated if you want to go to West LA, people love it there just fine. I have many friends who live in great condos there for much cheaper and they are beautiful.

There's hype about DTLA for a reason.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Another big beaux arts revitalization project for South Broadway. The 1908 May Co building at Broadway/8th has been sold, and will be transformed into mixed retail/residential:

LA Times

Old 04-12-2014, 03:48 PM

943 posts, read 1,198,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
It has changed a whole lot.

While I don't think the architecture is great at all, a lot of new restaurants and bars have opened up. It's a truly unique new neighborhood in Los Angeles with it's own identity. The BEST place for foodies in LA is downtown, it has the best places for craft drinks, and is the least touristy and is a great place to meet people. It's 100% walkable, livable, and many people who live there ever leave because EVERYTHING is at their fingertips.

While it's isolated if you want to go to West LA, people love it there just fine. I have many friends who live in great condos there for much cheaper and they are beautiful.

There's hype about DTLA for a reason.
If you work from home, do you require a car in DTLA? I know in every part of LA you require a car, except for maybe Santa Monica.

Last time I was there, I was a kid and my parents had a car.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:00 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
If you work from home, do you require a car in DTLA? I know in every part of LA you require a car, except for maybe Santa Monica.

Last time I was there, I was a kid and my parents had a car.
You could get by in DTLA without a car, especially if you work from home. It may be harder if you have an active social life and friends outside of the downtown area.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
You could get by in DTLA without a car, especially if you work from home. It may be harder if you have an active social life and friends outside of the downtown area.
Even working from home there's issues like going to the doctor or dentist, going grocery shopping, or doing other things that may eventually require you to have a car. Those things are doable without a car, but they may or may not be convenient depending on where you have to go.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 PM

Agreed. It just really depends on where you live downtown. If you live at the market lofts, for example, you're living above a large ralphs and within a few blocks of the blue line. If you live in Santee Village, you're considerably further from a metro station and grocery store. Compared to most places in LA, though, it's probably easier to get by in downtown without a car--if you had to.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:59 PM

174 posts, read 245,095 times
Hey Joe;

Since you are active in the market...would you be a net seller TODAY of a downtown LA loft/condo or would you continue to hold (assuming you bought 10 years ago) and already had a decent amount of equity built up?

Very limited supply today....probably more coming in the next few years. Some of those apartments under development are bound to go condo.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:50 PM

Yeah, the supply is definitely limited and there's a lot of development currently going on--and slated for the future. Personally, if I had no other reason to move besides built up equity, I'd stay. I don't see prices going down anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles