Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 03:06 AM

26 posts, read 55,772 times

Advertisements

I've been showing a friend around downtown recently. Hes almost 50 and never spent any time downtown after living in Los Angeles for about 20 years. I've brought him down about 3 or 4 times now and the most recent time we went and saw Mary Poppins at the Ahmanson. Upon leaving we decided to walk down and check out Grand Park at night. This is of course, my new favorite part of downtown. Crazy thing was, as we were walking into the park, Mayor Villaragoisa was walking through! Some security was walking with him as he chatted, "man this is so great guys....this looks beautiful!" I of course had to introduce myself and he was more then willing to take a photo. "Are you guys having a great night? I just got back from Baco Mercat! It was wonderful!" He was so nice and more people obviously came up to talk to him. As we walked back to the metro, my friend looks at me and says, "ya know, I'm really starting to fall in love with downtown." Tonight he visited Perch and has already posted his photos of the view to facebook with captions "I'm really loving coming downtown." This is so heartwarming to me because its happening more and more. The city is starting fall back in love with it's center again. If you aren't a resident downtown it has truly become a treat to make the trek for a night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualevi View Post
I've been showing a friend around downtown recently. Hes almost 50 and never spent any time downtown after living in Los Angeles for about 20 years. I've brought him down about 3 or 4 times now and the most recent time we went and saw Mary Poppins at the Ahmanson. Upon leaving we decided to walk down and check out Grand Park at night. This is of course, my new favorite part of downtown. Crazy thing was, as we were walking into the park, Mayor Villaragoisa was walking through! Some security was walking with him as he chatted, "man this is so great guys....this looks beautiful!" I of course had to introduce myself and he was more then willing to take a photo. "Are you guys having a great night? I just got back from Baco Mercat! It was wonderful!" He was so nice and more people obviously came up to talk to him. As we walked back to the metro, my friend looks at me and says, "ya know, I'm really starting to fall in love with downtown." Tonight he visited Perch and has already posted his photos of the view to facebook with captions "I'm really loving coming downtown." This is so heartwarming to me because its happening more and more. The city is starting fall back in love with it's center again. If you aren't a resident downtown it has truly become a treat to make the trek for a night.
Wow what a cool story!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
Yeah, cool story Joshua.

I was in downtown this past Sat. night and I was impressed how many people were out along the 7th Street corridor (between Figueroa and Hill). There were lines spilling out into the street with people trying to get into the various bars along this stretch of 7th.

I have yet to make it to Perch but I did notice a line outside a building at the northwest corner of 5th and Olive. I take it this was a line to get into Perch?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:11 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
For anyone who has known LA and Downtown LA for any length of time it is nice to see Downtown making a comeback. But.... it has a very long, long ways to go. The shopping is horrid. The flagship Robinson's department store, with its wooden floors and wooden escalators is now an industrial telecom building. Can anyone imagine turning Macy's Herald Square into an industrial building?

As to comparing it to Downtown Denver, how can anyone say with a straight face, Downtown LA is better? I love LA, but come on, Downtown Denver has their baseball stadium, football stadium and basketball/hockey arena all within walking distance of each other. LA Live is nice, but LoDo is nicer. If they ever succeed in "Bringing Back Broadway", then you can talk about and compare the two, but LA has a long ways to go to catch up to Denver in the Downtown area.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 PM

896 posts, read 1,170,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
For anyone who has known LA and Downtown LA for any length of time it is nice to see Downtown making a comeback. But.... it has a very long, long ways to go. The shopping is horrid. The flagship Robinson's department store, with its wooden floors and wooden escalators is now an industrial telecom building. Can anyone imagine turning Macy's Herald Square into an industrial building?

As to comparing it to Downtown Denver, how can anyone say with a straight face, Downtown LA is better? I love LA, but come on, Downtown Denver has their baseball stadium, football stadium and basketball/hockey arena all within walking distance of each other. LA Live is nice, but LoDo is nicer. If they ever succeed in "Bringing Back Broadway", then you can talk about and compare the two, but LA has a long ways to go to catch up to Denver in the Downtown area.
Lol dtla is gritty, urban, chaotic, while downtown Denver, is new, clean, cookie cutter urbanism, youre right that you can't compare the two

Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
Quote:

Downtown Denver can't hold a candle to DTLA, please. This is the same guy who is convinced BART is as good as the NYC subway Ooooh a baseball stadium, oooooh a football stadium! wow. So what's going on when there aren't any games? Yeah Denver has that outdoor shopping mall, but I'll take LA's fashion district, Santee st, Maple ave, Los Angeles st, Spring st or Broadway. At least LA's downtown is real, it's itself, it's raw and not pre-planned to be trendy or "hip". Saying Downtown Denver is better than DTLA is like saying SF's PT is equal to Montreal or New York

Old 09-04-2012, 05:57 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Downtown Denver can't hold a candle to DTLA, please. This is the same guy who is convinced BART is as good as the NYC subway Ooooh a baseball stadium, oooooh a football stadium! wow. So what's going on when there aren't any games? Yeah Denver has that outdoor shopping mall, but I'll take LA's fashion district, Santee st, Maple ave, Los Angeles st, Spring st or Broadway. At least LA's downtown is real, it's itself, it's raw and not pre-planned to be trendy or "hip". Saying Downtown Denver is better than DTLA is like saying SF's PT is equal to Montreal or New York
True, they don't use DTLA to portray NYC for nothing.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Lol dtla is gritty, urban, chaotic, while downtown Denver, is new, clean, cookie cutter urbanism, youre right that you can't compare the two
LoDo is new? DT Denver is new? The Brown Palace Hotel opened in 1892. What DTLA hotel opened in 1892 and is still a going luxury hotel? Denver was a big city and major hub when LA was a sleepy backwater.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Denver isn't real? What are those facades? Mannequins in the streets?

You can have LA's "fashion" district which is anything but fashionable and pretend that it is just like NY's fashion district.

There are never games NOT going on in DT Denver between the four sports and the college sports there.

Denver is hardly a new city, it was bigger and more important than Los Angeles at the start of the 20th century.

You must not get out of the house much.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:38 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Denver isn't real? What are those facades? Mannequins in the streets?

You can have LA's "fashion" district which is anything but fashionable and pretend that it is just like NY's fashion district.

There are never games NOT going on in DT Denver between the four sports and the college sports there.

Denver is hardly a new city, it was bigger and more important than Los Angeles at the start of the 20th century.

You must not get out of the house much.
Wow. Sports.

I was in Denver last week, and stayed at the Brown Palace 2 months ago (just a beautiful hotel). Downtown Denver is very nice. It's also sterile and boring in comparison. Then again consider the source: Corona del Mar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles