Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 08:02 AM

67 posts, read 95,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Is the vato thing in East L.A something you experienced personally?

Also that is a good point about expensive areas being sketchy.

My theory and based on living in the South Bay , is that if you look back some years places like Hermosa were actually not always expensive ass places like they are now.

There are still some holdovers for example perhaps those crackheads and trashy people actually live there because there families were able to buy property there back in the day.

Basically these areas were not built as 'high class' developments for the rich .

It's different than an area like Beverly Hills which was always intended for the 'rich' or well off .

Good point about those areas growing to be expensive because of their property. Those guys you mention are definitely a presence. I saw a lot of those dudes...like mid 40's no steady job and probably "partying righteously bro.." off the equity their near beach Bungalow as accrued. Something their parents paid 50k for in the 40-50's and is worth half a mill or more now. They were kind of leathery looking (years on the beach all day) and always just sort of hanging out. Those guys were always chilled out and relaxed though. Kind of like big teenagers.

What I was referring to were the people living out of the hotel and seemingly down and out. I didn't make that very clear I guess.

The Vato thing, well yeah I saw that a lot in parts of LA and Def up in Oxnard (but I know we aren't talking about Oxnard) . I didn't have any real problems with any of them don't get me wrong, but I def saw lots of the praying hand tats, shaved heads, Nike Cortez shoes, dark denim jeans, goatee's long whit blue or black t-shirts and/or wife beaters...def possible gang tats and other attire which signifies territoriality. I drank and hung out with some of those guys though, never had an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco81 View Post
Good point about those areas growing to be expensive because of their property. Those guys you mention are definitely a presence. I saw a lot of those dudes...like mid 40's no steady job and probably "partying righteously bro.." off the equity their near beach Bungalow as accrued. Something their parents paid 50k for in the 40-50's and is worth half a mill or more now. They were kind of leathery looking (years on the beach all day) and always just sort of hanging out. Those guys were always chilled out and relaxed though. Kind of like big teenagers.

What I was referring to were the people living out of the hotel and seemingly down and out. I didn't make that very clear I guess.

We are talking about the same thing. There used to be more seedy motels, really rundown bungalows and mobile home parks in Hermosa where these people would live. You would see them in Redondo as well, especially in the mobile home parks...still do, actually, but they are cleaning those places up.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:03 PM

67 posts, read 95,954 times
One thing that shocked me , is the amount of supposed crime that I have read/heard about around Santa Monica. Can you expand on that ?

One other thing that just amazed me about LA and SoCAL in general is how nonchalant most people were about their work / money. In comparison to DC where every jerk loves to tell you what senator they know or who they "represent" in some way or another, the rich-sh Angelino would always kind of just down play what they did and not really get into where they got their new car or house from. "I just work like everyone else bro..." lol

Old 09-25-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
One thing that shocked me , is the amount of supposed crime that I have read/heard about around Santa Monica. Can you expand on that ?

One other thing that just amazed me about LA and SoCAL in general is how nonchalant most people were about their work / money. In comparison to DC where every jerk loves to tell you what senator they know or who they "represent" in some way or another, the rich-sh Angelino would always kind of just down play what they did and not really get into where they got their new car or house from. "I just work like everyone else bro..." lol

Supposed crime? It's honest to goodness crime. SaMo had a low income area near Pico Blvd just west of Cloverfield. It's still in transition, but MUCH safer than it was before.

There is also lots of crime that occurs near 3rd St. and the pier since there is more foot traffic in that area + drunks from the bars...and the homeless.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 PM

6 posts, read 8,367 times
Compton is as ghetto or as non ghetto as YOU make it. It depends on how you live your life. I doubt that anyone in compton is going to do something to you if you are not bothering them, (not saying it CANT happen, but in 2013 its unlikely). Back in the day Compton was so rough because of the gangs. Gangbangers back in the day and gangbangers now are cut from a completely different cloth. Its all about "swag" now and being a rapper. The real gang bangers are all dead or in jail and these young guys that have come up under them are nothing like the gang bangers from back in the day. Hoods in Compton are pretty empty now, nobody cares about it, people who live there usually go to LA or somewhere else when they want to have fun. Its honestly a ghost town. I went to the parade last year and there was only about 4 families there and maybe 5 floats. I feel safe in Compton.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:54 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Quote:

I also noticed this about SoCal and LA.....Nobody flaunts or brags about what they do....

Old 09-27-2013, 12:23 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
It is the People's Republic of Santa Monica - basically they invite the crime by being "tolerant" and placing "diversity" above all.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I think Santa Monica is relatively safe overall . You don't hear of much violent crime in Santa Monica really .

There is liberalism and tolerance of homeless for sure

Otherwise you wouldn't see them on the promenade and by the beach .

I was there yesterday for lunch and it was interesting since I'm usually there on weekends .

People that have never been to LA I imagine would be surprised / shocked at the homeless population .

Growing up in LA it would probably be kind of weird if they did entirely disappear .

Personally I don't think the streets are the best place for the homeless and I think they are involved in a lot more crime than many in la would like to admit.

Being " homeless " is a perfect cover in la with an overtly liberal mentality

And to be clear I'm not a right winger , but sometimes common sense seems to be thrown out the window in this city .

Old 09-27-2013, 09:58 PM

Santa Monica has its share of violent crime.
CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 AM

193 posts, read 309,850 times
Compton is not a ghetto, it is a war zone and my old school district is tired of the spill-over of parents bringing their little gangbangers in with a utility bill they paid for someone else trying to claim being a resident of the school district.

All they do is bring the crap with them their parental unit was trying to get them away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles