Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:15 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,724,425 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a lot of posts lately trying to play catch up. I don't always get consistant time to post and stay updated. I find if you miss a week....boy you get really behind on whats happening with you all. Some of you really like to post a lot

So I was hoping this might be a good way to get some updates on previous Posters who were planning to Move to Maine, move out of Maine, with in Maine, or even those that came here to this website for other reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:18 AM

455 posts, read 1,229,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I've been reading a lot of posts lately trying to play catch up. I don't always get consistant time to post and stay updated. I find if you miss a week....boy you get really behind on whats happening with you all. Some of you really like to post a lot

So I was hoping this might be a good way to get some updates on previous Posters who were planning to Move to Maine, move out of Maine, with in Maine, or even those that came here to this website for other reasons.
I am in Florida and are moving home to Maine (my home state) soon, after 20 years here. Ours plans were to leave the day after Easter. However, The work is really slow right now and the DH finds out later today if we will be leaving ever sooner. EVERYONE keep your fingers crossed that it is SOONER!!!!!! Limestone.......here we come.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:19 AM

I will start with myself. I started Posting here last year when I was really looking to get "OUT" of Maine. I have since calmed down a bit and have really tried to look at what I was un happy with, and what I really wanted. I realized Maine is a great place to call home...and there are a great many people here that have found their dream living here. Now I might still flee the state at some point running to warmer weather....but really...thats not a Maine problem...that's a me problem. So I now sit here....much more content with my life living day to day and enjoying my time here in this beautifull state.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:40 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,434,721 times
As much as I post, I can't imagine that there's anything I could divulge about our situation that has escaped anyone! The real estate market here is still almost at a halt, so we're just pressing on with business, working on paying off some debt and putting money away to make the transition easier.

As soon as this house sells, we're on our way home! We still don't have "IT" pinned down yet, as far as a town or housing goes. So much depends on DH's employment options, which we are researching extensively. The easy thing to figure out is that EVERYWHERE in Maine, someone has to have an ambulance and a fire truck occasionally. We're working on finding out which areas use them the most!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,975,846 times
We leave for Eastport in 99 days and I will be there until the middle of November. Mensaguy will spend 10 days every 6 weeks up there. We feel like fish out of water here in WV and can't wait to get back to our home. Just two more years of going back and forth until we're there for good.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:46 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,165 times
It is good when you can "bloom where you are planted" isn't it? That way, if you decide to move, you are moving forward and to rather than running from!

I had been planning to move north "in the spring" at best or some time in 2008 at the least, since last year. However, the economy here in NC (which is very volatile) has been on a downturn for over a year and finally began catching up with my clients and my part-time job in the realty office. I was laid off the end of Jan and at that time lost one major and one minor client for my design business as well.

The cutting of that major thread -- in such a way as I am able to draw unemployment compensation for a bit -- is allowing me to make the move much sooner. I gave notice to my current landlord and have to be out of here by the end of the month. I will pick up my rental moving truck and car dolley on the 28th of Feb and finish loading and move out on the 29.

I am scrambling to find a place to live -- an inexpensive place to buy both so we don't have to move repeatedly and on account of having 5 cats, a big dog and finches. Cross your fingers for me and if you happen to know of anyone within commuting distance of Bangor (NORTH preferably) with at least a few acres with some sort of building on it, that would sell for $40k or so, send me a DM. We have a couple we are considering...

I am honestly not worried about a job, as I have had a couple of call-backs from Microdyne. It does not thrill me, but I could do it and pay the bills... I am much more concerned about being homeless this time next month!

Quote:
I will start with myself. I started Posting here last year when I was really looking to get "OUT" of Maine. I have since calmed down a bit and have really tried to look at what I was un happy with, and what I really wanted. I realized Maine is a great place to call home...and there are a great many people here that have found their dream living here. Now I might still flee the state at some point running to warmer weather....but really...thats not a Maine problem...that's a me problem. So I now sit here....much more content with my life living day to day and enjoying my time here in this beautifull state.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 AM

380 posts, read 1,179,448 times
Wonderful idea for a thread, Flycessna. I'm glad to hear you are feeling more content in Maine. If you do decide to move somewhere warmer, may I suggest looking into Northeast Tennessee. It is stunningly beautiful and mountainous, still gets some cold and snowy weather, but has glorious springs and summers full of beautiful blooming native plants and trees. The summers are hot, though. There are several mid-sized cities, small towns, real estate is reasonable, and there are jobs.

I'm posting a lot these days because I have to get up to 200 posts to get rid of that annoying "Member" description under my name. I feel like an American Express commercial.

My situation, as it stands now, is that I probably won't be moving to Maine for a while. I have been with my boyfriend for 9 years. We're unconventional (unmarried), but have a good relationship and are business partners. His entire family lives in our area, plus he adores the south and won't move outside of the south. So it looks like I'll be saving my $$ for a few years before I (or we) can buy a second home in Maine. I'll have to just enjoy a long vacation or two each year until then. On the plus side, that gives me plenty of time to explore and decide where I want to buy.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
As much as I post, I can't imagine that there's anything I could divulge about our situation that has escaped anyone! The real estate market here is still almost at a halt, so we're just pressing on with business, working on paying off some debt and putting money away to make the transition easier.

As soon as this house sells, we're on our way home! We still don't have "IT" pinned down yet, as far as a town or housing goes. So much depends on DH's employment options, which we are researching extensively. The easy thing to figure out is that EVERYWHERE in Maine, someone has to have an ambulance and a fire truck occasionally. We're working on finding out which areas use them the most!
I am sure you have looked but i thought I mentioned it. Lewiston Fire hire's often and so does portland. Auburn handles a lot of its own ems...Lewiston is catching on..but the area is served by "united ambulance" an outfit which I consider to be one of the best I have ever interacted with. If i were in the business....other than trying to get on a municipal fire department...United would be the first place I would look.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,256,878 times
Quote:
I am sure you have looked but i thought I mentioned it. Lewiston Fire hire's often and so does portland. Auburn handles a lot of its own ems...Lewiston is catching on..but the area is served by "united ambulance" an outfit which I consider to be one of the best I have ever interacted with. If i were in the business....other than trying to get on a municipal fire department...United would be the first place I would look.
SMCC has two programs, EMS and Fire Technology, that are pretty popular. I wasn't aware of this, but apparently both are desirable careers for young Mainers. Just a heads up as it might create a lot of competition.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,493,390 times
My wife (MenME) and I bought our home in Eastport in October. We will be making a trip there either in late March, or in early June. She will spend the summer there, and I will commute from Florida to Maine during the summer, racking up some frequent flyer points! We plan to take all our vacations to the house, so we will be in and out year round. We still have a few years before making the move, but if the housing market were to rebound, we would take a second look at moving sooner. I know she will read this and add the womans point of view, which I welcome! Love that woman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine