Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 03:46 PM

501 posts, read 1,162,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Yeah, but I only claimed that he couldn't possibly know about a culture that I LIVE IN on a daily basis as good as I can, which only makes sense. I can neither tell him that I know more about the state that he/she grew up in more than he/she does when he was born and raised there as well, get it? You can never tell someone regardless of what you read in the books, or your few visits that has to experience that Cultural lifestyle first hand that you know more about where he/she lives. It just doesn't work like that. Now do you understand where I'm coming from?
Oh my God- that is not what I am saying. You told him that he DOES NOT KNOW what outsiders think of Marylanders simply because you had one experience in college that made you think one way. That is what I am talking about. I trust that he knows what outsiders think, as he is one. However, I do not think he knows more about the state than you or I do, being residents, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 03:51 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,071,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Nobody is taking your side, bud. Your posts were extremely immature.
I wasn't looking for him to take sides, just as long as he could see where I was coming from. As for my posts being extremely immature can you honestly say that your were any better? after all, You came for me first, so its like you were asking for it when you kept bashing me for a misspelled word. What was I to do? just let you talk smack? NO, so I came back at you, then it escalated from there.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I wasn't looking for him to take sides, just as long as he could see where I was coming from. As for my posts being extremely immature can you honestly say that your were any better? after all, You came for me first, so its like you were asking for it when you kept bashing me for a misspelled word. What was I to do? just let you talk smack? NO, so I came back at you, then it escalated from there.
You started your immaturity way before talking to me. You became mad that I called you out for being that way to another poster.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:00 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Thats like if you grew up in the Forrest all your life, but your trying to tell the lion in the jungle that he doesn't know more about where he lives more than you, just because you've been to the jungle before LOL.
No, it is like telling someone from New Jersey that has only every spoken to people from New Jersey that he has an accent.

"But, I don't have an accent, I talk like everyone else around here!" they would say.

None the less, the person would have an accent as compared to other parts of the country, parts of the country where our ficitious New Jersian has never been.

That is what hitek is doing, giving perspective from an outsider observer. He is from SO far North, everything down here looks like the South to him. It is no different than someone from Mississippi which is SO far south coming to Maryland and saying everything up there looks like the North to them.

THIS IS THE POINT. Our state is in the middle. We have elements of both North and South throughout the state, and certain parts of the state pretty clearly align overall with one region or another, even if it is on the fringe of the region. The water lapping up against the beach is still the ocean, right?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 PM

115 posts, read 243,323 times
I think it depends on were you look.

Central Maryland - Baltimore-Washington suburban areas is not at all southern in character.

On the other hand, the Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland (Charles, Calvert, and St Mary's Counties) are largely comprised of rural and small-town folks who more closely resemble those in the nearby Virginia Northern Neck and Tidewater region. Likewise, Western Maryland, which reaches into the Appalachian Mountains, has a lot in common with adjacent areas of West Virginia and the nearby Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.Those two largely agricultural, Southern-oriented areas make up about probably 25% of the state's population.

The result is a mixed bag, but I definitely wouldn't call Maryland a southern state in character.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:04 PM

20,517 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
South Florida and parts of Texas are NOT Southern culturally. Perhaps this is why black people in DC are not the same as them culturally, in your opinion.

Also, when I was in Atlanta, the African-Americans I encountered were quite brash and self-centered. I guess it's perspective.
A good bit of where the bulk of the population of Texas is Southern culturally and the African Americans in South Florida are pretty much Southern. At least my family, born and raised in South Florida consider themselves as Southern and also have the knack of being lazy with their tongues and dragging out their words.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R View Post
I think it depends on were you look.

Central Maryland - Baltimore-Washington suburban areas is not at all southern in character.

On the other hand, the Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland (Charles, Calvert, and St Mary's Counties) are largely comprised of rural and small-town folks who more closely resemble those in the nearby Virginia Northern Neck and Tidewater region. Likewise, Western Maryland, which reaches into the Appalachian Mountains, has a lot in common with adjacent areas of West Virginia and the nearby Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.Those two largely agricultural, Southern-oriented areas make up about probably 25% of the state's population.

The result is a mixed bag, but I definitely wouldn't call Maryland a southern state in character.
Parts of the Greater Baltimore area have more in common with the South than they do the north. Why would you not call MD a "Southern state in character" if the true character of Maryland really is found in its more "Southern" areas as compared to the transplant-culture of Central Maryland? The Eastern Shore has more "Maryland character" than, arguably, anywhere in the state and it is far from being Northern.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:06 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,071,255 times
Quote:
Oh my God- that is not what I am saying. You told him that he DOES NOT KNOW what outsiders think of Marylanders simply because you had one experience in college that made you think one way. That is what I am talking about. I trust that he knows what outsiders think, as he is one. However, I do not think he knows more about the state than you or I do, being residents, no.
I swear, you really misinterpret everything wrong don't you? for the record this is what I said quoted below.

Quote:
DMV Well of Course it may remind an "Outsider" with skewed observations of a place like NC or other places of the South simply because you wouldn't even know what to look for to begin with. Dont even act or pretend like you know anything about the Culture in the AA Communities of Maryland or DC because just by making false statements like the one's I just caught you making its clear to me that you dont know anything about this Community. The only city in the South that the parts of Maryland that I live in could compare to is Atlanta and even they say we're different. Other than that your observations are completely off my friend, POINT BLANK. For the record, I said that most people from Maryland (usually the DC Burbs of MD) ID's more with the north than it does the South. That doesn't mean that I think its completely Northern because theirs still a lot of things that we don't have in common with the North. BTW: I could care less about the North or South, because in my eyes we're in the Mid Atlantic anyways.
See MR. MDGuy99, you have to read carefully. I simply said that his observations may be skewed because he/she is an outsider. I never said anything about him not knowing what other outsider's think because that doesn't even sound like something that I would say, nor does it even make any sense. I also told him to not even pretend like he knew anything about the AA Culture, because after reading his last comment I could tell that he didn't know what he was talking about. Point Blank Period, Outsiders may have they're opinions, but at the end of the day that's all they'll ever be because it's the people who actually live there that has to make these distinctions, which are people like you and me. Not hitek and that's no offense to him/her but we're the ones that actually live and breath Maryland. He/she and every other outsider just have opinions about it.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I swear, you really misinterpret everything wrong don't you? for the record this is what I said quoted below.
Oh my God- that is not even the conversation/ posts I am referring to. Nevermind.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:08 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
hitek,

I don't know what DC you have been to. But this does not describe Black Washingtonians. Friendly? Ha. Slower pace of living? LMAO. Manners? Get real. Southern dialects? Where. Blacks in DC are not lazy with their tongues and they don't drag out the words like Southerners do. Living in the DC area for five years, what you described is the exact opposite of what I experienced in DC during that time. BTW, every major city that has a large black population enjoys down home cooking and cuisine. But I grew up in Texas and lived in South Florida and spent countless times in other places throughout the South. Blacks in DC are hardly like any of them. The closest you can say is Southern Virginia. That's it.

I missed the last part in bold. No Blacks in Washington did not. They claimed DC. The Mid-Atlantic. The middle of the country. They never claimed either North or South when I was there. They didn't even think of it for that matter.
I don't think many people except the Seminoles and alligators lived in South Florida until the early 20th cetnury, so any non-Indian black folk there came from somewhere else in the recent past.

Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is telling that you don't think blacks in DC act like blacks in Texas or Florida, but are similar to those in the neighboring state of VA. Isn't Southern VA clearly the South too?

Isn't that what you would expect, the two groups living closest to each other to be more similar to each other than to groups that live 800+ miles away in South Florida and Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland