Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
And I wouldn't care if 95% of douchebags like you that claim DC are northerners they're not in any stretch of the imagination. They are places in the south that do remind me of Maryland(North Carolina, Virginia) and nothing in Maryland(especially DC) reminds me of Connecticut, New York, or Rhode Island. From the real north(Connecticut) we do not relate nor consider people in DC as the north. Point plank period!. DC is more Raliegh, Durham, Arlington, Richmond, Atlanta than it will ever be Boston, Providence, Hartford, Jersey City, Newark, or Philly.
Well of Course it may remind an "Outsider" with skewed observations of a place like NC or other places of the South simply because you wouldn't even know what to look for to begin with. Dont even act or pretend like you know anything about the Culture in the AA Communities of Maryland or DC because just by making false statements like the one's I just caught you making its clear to me that you dont know anything about this Community. The only city in the South that the parts of Maryland that I live in could compare to is Atlanta and even they say we're different. Other than that your observations are completely off my friend, POINT BLANK. For the record, I said that most people from Maryland (usually the DC Burbs of MD) ID's more with the north than it does the South. That doesn't mean that I think its completely Northern because theirs still a lot of things that we don't have in common with the North. BTW: I could care less about the North or South, because in my eyes we're in the Mid Atlantic anyways.

Last edited by DMV; 03-09-2011 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,964 times
Quote:
Its the nation's capital, but mostly leaning south in my opinion. Mostly african american like most southern cities. Oh yea, and the blacks are absolutely southern there.
What specifically makes the AA Communities in DC or MD Southern, since you know so much?------ I'll wait
I just cant wait to see your long long list of things that makes the AA Communities in the MD/DC areas Southern.

Last edited by DMV; 03-09-2011 at 09:07 PM..

Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 PM

501 posts, read 1,161,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
First of all,

Who are you to tell me or anyone else that Im wrong about something that I personally experienced first hand?? Now If you disagree, then just say you disagree. This isn't something that I was told, this was something that not only me, but my sister and our friends all went through as well when we all attending school in NC. Just because theirs a lot of people who like DC and cheer for the Redskins down in NC doesn't take back the fact that theirs also a lot of them that do not like us either ya moron. Just like theirs a lot of people here in DC that cheer for Dallas, but theirs also a lot of us that cheer for our home team (Redskins) as well, so if it can be done here, the why not there?. Think things out before you type geez. I attended St. Augustine's College in Raleigh, NC and you can ask anybody that ever been to that school if theirs more DC haters than there were DC lovers, so please don't come for me if you don't even know what your talking about.

Instead of investing your time deciding what smiley to insult people with, you may want to address the 5 times you misspelled "there's" in your post.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:13 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Its the nation's capital, but mostly leaning south in my opinion. Mostly african american like most southern cities. Oh yea, and the blacks are absolutely southern there.
How so?

I've never lived in a southern city.

But most northern cities have high number of blacks - Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St. Louis, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.

How would they be different in DC than their nothern counterparts?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How so?

But most northern cities have high number of blacks - Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St. Louis, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.

Most of the black population IN DC are natives. It is true. Many trace their roots to slavery IN DC. As I have stated before, please go view the exhibit on slavery at the Museum of American History in DC. There is a great map that will show you that Washington, DC was one of the areas with the most concentration of slaves in the entire US. There is a great local, native African-American culture built up from this. It's not the same as the cities you listed. It is even a different dynamic than Baltimore.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 AM

214 posts, read 427,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Instead of investing your time deciding what smiley to insult people with, you may want to address the 5 times you misspelled "there's" in your post.
Oh, don't mind him. He just comes up with stuff. Like I said earlier and I have earlier posts and threads on North Carolina to back me up, there are not many transplants in North Carolina from Georgia or Florida but he thinks so. He actually thinks people in North Carolina are DC haters lmao. I never met one person there that hates DC. Most of the blacks there are from DC. They probably just hated him and his ego maniac ways. He wants to be a northerner so bad that he even goes as low as to just hanging out with people from New Jersey, New York, and Pennslyvania thinking that people from North Carolina have some type of descrimination against people from DC, NJ, NY.... Idiotic statements

Last edited by hitek; 03-10-2011 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Most of the black population IN DC are natives. It is true. Many trace their roots to slavery IN DC. As I have stated before, please go view the exhibit on slavery at the Museum of American History in DC. There is a great map that will show you that Washington, DC was one of the areas with the most concentration of slaves in the entire US. There is a great local, native African-American culture built up from this. It's not the same as the cities you listed. It is even a different dynamic than Baltimore.
I'm not doubting that blacks have historical roots in Maryland.

I was doubting the statement that most blacks like southern cities, so therefore DC is southern (written by another poster). That statement implies that either there aren't blacks in northern cities, or if they are they don't like it. Not sure exactly, I don't think it's fully expressed.

On an additional note, what makes DC blacks more southern and less like their northern black counterparts?

If a person is black and living in DC, do they really feel like they are significantly different than a black person who's similarly-based ancestors chose to migrate up the road to the city of Philly or further to even Detroit or Milwaukee instead?

I mean, any which city, wouldn't they still have come from the South, and whatever that entails?

Old 03-10-2011, 12:25 PM

214 posts, read 427,692 times
Quote:
How so?

True. But, the majority of the cities with high african american populations are in the south. Baltimore, Birmingham AL, Jackson MS, New Orleans, Memphis, Richmond VA, Atlanta, Columbia SC, Durham NC, Little Rock, Jacksonville Florida, and Newport News just to name a few.

Plus, the native blacks in DC are southern with most of their roots being from North Carolina. The natives there are laid back, have very southern dialects, into chevy caprices and crown vics, slower way of living, manners, polite and friendly, enjoy down home cooking and cuisine. They just have an overall southern quality overall than the cities you named. Plus most of the blacks there claim the south there more than the whites do.

Last edited by hitek; 03-10-2011 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
True. But, the majority of the cities with high african american populations are in the south. Baltimore, Birmingham AL, Jackson MS, New Orleans, Memphis, Richmond VA, Atlanta, Columbia SC, Durham NC, Little Rock, Jacksonville Florida, and Newport News just to name a few.

Plus, the native blacks in DC are southern with most of their roots being from North Carolina. The natives there are laid back, have very southern dialects, into chevy caprices and crown vics, slower way of living, manners, polite and friendly, enjoy down home cooking and cuisine. They just have an overall southern quality overall than the cities you named. Plus most of the blacks there claim the south than the whites do.
Fair enough, interesting as well.

I'm familiar with very northern blacks. Where do most of the people who moved up to Detroit, originally come from in the South?

That being said, I have driven around a lot in the South...and certainly noticed a more slowness, laid back, polite, manners, geniune friendliness out of most of the places I've went.

We don't have that in the North, among blacks or whites really. I mean, a little bit, but not to the degree I saw in the south.

I always attributed it more to rural south versus blacks in the north being in more larger cities and those differences.

Sounds like what you're saying is that DC blacks, despite some decent number of generations in DC now, still have southern attributes inherent in thier personality/character. Whereas northern blacks in northern cities, that is largely gone.

I wonder if because Maryland does have rural black populations even to this day, that it keeps people grounded in that kind of mindset more than the ones who went up to larger urban colder cities in the upper northern areas.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I mean, any which city, wouldn't they still have come from the South, and whatever that entails?
It is different when said black people are STILL IN the same area they were once enslaved. Their roots are deeper, their communities more established-- I will not go into the many unique Southern trends in the African American community of DC, because needless to say, anything I mention will be met with a "that's not just DC", "I've never heard of that", or "that's not Southern". So, I will refrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland