Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 04:09 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,071,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
No, it is like telling someone from New Jersey that has only every spoken to people from New Jersey that he has an accent.

"But, I don't have an accent, I talk like everyone else around here!" they would say.

None the less, the person would have an accent as compared to other parts of the country, parts of the country where our ficitious New Jersian has never been.

That is what hitek is doing, giving perspective from an outsider observer. He is from SO far North, everything down here looks like the South to him. It is no different than someone from Mississippi which is SO far south coming to Maryland and saying everything up there looks like the North to them.

THIS IS THE POINT. Our state is in the middle. We have elements of both North and South throughout the state, and certain parts of the state pretty clearly align overall with one region or another, even if it is on the fringe of the region. The water lapping up against the beach is still the ocean, right?
Exactly. Now this is 100% true. I couldn't of said it better. Good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 04:13 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,071,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Oh my God- that is not even the conversation/ posts I am referring to. Nevermind.
LOL, I dont even think that you even know what you're talking about, your just saying things LOL, but like you said..... Nevermind

Old 03-10-2011, 04:16 PM

501 posts, read 1,162,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
LOL, I dont even think that you even know what you're talking about, your just saying things LOL, but like you said..... Nevermind
Let me help you. I am talking about this:

He said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
People do not listen to this poster. He is saying some pretty false things. First, there are not many transplants from Georgia and Florida and if they are they are outnumbered by transplants from the north clearly in North Carolina. Second, thats ridiculous and absolutely false to say that DC, NOVA, PA, NY, and NJ hung out with each other and so did kids NC, SC, ATL, and Florida do the same. Having some family and having gone in the south plenty thats totally false. Everyone hangs together no matter where you from. Its about personal tastes in friends not being from north, south or west. How can you act like NC is sooo southern when a majority of the Blacks from North Carolina are from Washington DC and vice versa. Some people in NC even support and cheer for the redskins. Third, Northern Virgina is just like The Triangle area so even its not above them either.
You said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
First of all,

Who are you to tell me or anyone else that Im wrong about something that I personally experienced first hand?? Now If you disagree, then just say you disagree. This isn't something that I was told, this was something that not only me, but my sister and our friends all went through as well when we all attending school in NC. Just because theirs a lot of people who like DC and cheer for the Redskins down in NC doesn't take back the fact that theirs also a lot of them that do not like us either ya moron. Just like theirs a lot of people here in DC that cheer for Dallas, but theirs also a lot of us that cheer for our home team (Redskins) as well, so if it can be done here, the why not there?. Think things out before you type geez. I attended St. Augustine's College in Raleigh, NC and you can ask anybody that ever been to that school if theirs more DC haters than there were DC lovers, so please don't come for me if you don't even know what your talking about.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times
Quote:
I don't think many people except the Seminoles and alligators lived in South Florida until the early 20th cetnury, so any non-Indian black folk there came from somewhere else in the recent past.

Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is telling that you don't think blacks in DC act like blacks in Texas or Florida, but are similar to those in the neighboring state of VA. Isn't Southern VA clearly the South too?

Isn't that what you would expect, the two groups living closest to each other to be more similar to each other than to groups that live 800+ miles away in South Florida and Texas.
Over 1 million blacks live in South Florida now and many of them are African Americans from Georgia, Alabama, north Florida, and South Carolina. They've been transplanting themselves there since the 20s. My Mother was born and raised in South Florida. She considers herself Southern and they cooked many of the same foods that Southerners cook. If Miami isn't southern. Neither is New Orleans, Houston, or Dallas.

I only threw that Southern Virginia thing out there as a hypothetical. I was saying that if you must say that DC has any close relationships with anything in the South, you may can throw in Southern Virginia and by that, I mean The Tidewater area. Because even the people from Emporia to Lawrenceville looks at DC as some weird place.

Blacks from South Carolina to Florida to Tennessee to Texas relate in some ways and hardly any of them would think of themselves as anything other than Southern. Same cannot be said for these people viewing DC and vice versa.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If Miami isn't southern. Neither is New Orleans, Houston, or Dallas.
I have never met anyone who has considered Miami to have a Southern culture. Plenty of people say New Orleans and Houston do.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:29 PM

7,035 posts, read 11,339,298 times
Yeah, that's my point. Any blacks in South Florida came there from somewhere else in relatively recent times. Black folks have been in DC and the surrounding area since the founding of the the colonies of Maryland and Virginia, both slave/plantation states pre-1865.

Tidewater VA and MD are contiguous with DC, so why would it be surprising or hypothetical that the native blacks in that region are similar to their urban neighbors? Do you not consider Tidewater VA the South? Does Tidewater VA have to be exactly like Texas or Florida to be considered Southern?

I dunno, any native black D.C.ers lurking around to stake a claim on their own identity?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I have never met anyone who has considered Miami to have a Southern culture. Plenty of people say New Orleans and Houston do.
Ok, I'm going off what my family and friends born and raised in Miami believes in.
For example. Listen to this song. People born and raised in Miami makes a song reppin Miami and the rest of the South. Heck, listen to the first verse. BTW, notice how they don't mention DC in there when shouting out all the states and cities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAVYIK2bBPg

Old 03-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ok, I'm going off what my family and friends born and raised in Miami believes in.
For example. Listen to this song. People born and raised in Miami makes a song reppin Miami and the rest of the South. Heck, listen to the first verse. BTW, notice how they don't mention DC in there when shouting out all the states and cities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAVYIK2bBPg

I'm not talking about urban, hip-hop, rap, culture. I'm talking about Southern culture. Plus, I assume in that song they reference groups they are familiar with and it would make sense that the states closest to them are the ones they would mention. DC is very far away from the Deep South, but that doesn't mean they still aren't part of that overall Southern culture.

Oh, also- they didn't include Kentucky, West Virginia, or Virginia from what I heard either. Doesn't say much.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's my point. Any blacks in South Florida came there from somewhere else in relatively recent times. Black folks have been in DC and the surrounding area since the founding of the the colonies of Maryland and Virginia, both slave/plantation states pre-1865.

Tidewater VA and MD are contiguous with DC, so why would it be surprising or hypothetical that the native blacks in that region are similar to their urban neighbors? Do you not consider Tidewater VA the South? Does Tidewater VA have to be exactly like Texas or Florida to be considered Southern?

I dunno, any native black D.C.ers lurking around to stake a claim on their own identity?
Get DC's Finest. He'll basically tell you that Blacks in DC does not identify with themselves being Southern. At the same time, a good portion of Black Texans came from Louisiana and Mississippi.

About Tidewater. Many in Tidewater do not consider themselves Southern.
Heck, look at this thread on this subject and even somebody from Richmond was agreeing with him to a point.
Fam-Lay-Whats My Name *VA Flames*
Here's one of the quotes.
Quote:
Eastsida described it best. Central VA and southwestern VA people are pretty southern normally while 757 (clipse, famlay, iverson, pharrel) is the biggest military base so there is no strong local culture, but many people are from the North so the culture is mixed.
That's why I said maybe the Hampton Roads area. And I didn't say Tidewater VA or any part has to be like anyone. I do believe that they have to share some type of relationship that other Southerners can identify with and every Southern city and state view each other like that. They don't however view DC like that. At least we never did. In Texas, we knew Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina was South. They knew we were Southern (somewhat). None of us really thought about DC though.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about urban, hip-hop, rap, culture. I'm talking about Southern culture.
I'm talking about African Americans of the South who is deeply embedded in the music culture especially hip hop. And my point still stands. AA's from Miami do consider themselves Southern. Not the Islanders mind you. But born and bred African Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland