Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 02:08 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan19 View Post
I lived in Livonia, Westland and my last home for the last 13 years was Canton, loved the township every single day we were there!!! but with the unemployment problem we were forced to move out of state, been out for about 3 months now,we now live in a small town just south of Wichita, Ks.
Someday we will go back home, even with it's problems.
GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!! GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!
Ewww Kansas.

Go Blue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,092 times
1st post - Grant, Michigan - Lifelong Michigan Resident of 40+ years - Wouldn't leave for the world unless I had to follow my kids. 4 Seasons - You can't beat it. Prettiest place on earth.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,066 times
I moved back to Menominee (my hometown) after 33 years in the San Francisco Bay Area. I love it here (family & all), but, reading all the posts about the great nature in the U.P., I feel guilty that I never go outside! I just like the small town atmosphere and the quiet. (I'm self-employed, usually stay up all night, sleep in the day.)

Old 11-07-2007, 05:30 AM

749 posts, read 2,772,038 times
Hey all, new to the boards.

I live in Charlevoix, love, love, love it here and never want to live anywhere else (except the UP)

Old 11-07-2007, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,527 times
Thumbs up Hastings, MI

I live in Hastings, MI which is in the heart of Barry County. Hastings was voted one of the 100 Best Small Towns in America and I do agree. Beauty is everywhere with our many lakes and rivers and beautiful countryside. I am a Real Estate Broker and Mortgage Lender and I love my job and where I live.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:26 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Default South Haven-Marquette

Hello folks; I am waiting for the day I sell my home here in the wilds of Van Buren county........ Marquette is calling , and calling !... Am building a retirement home atop a mountain w/ a 50 mile view of Superior. Ambitious project but fun. Spent the last five years restoring an inland lake home here in SW mi. Hope it sells soon ! ..... been everywhere , done most everything , interesting life , now , just looking to retire to my UP mountain top , . and write my memories..........

Old 11-08-2007, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 25,258 times
I'm from a small town just outside of Port Huron. I don't like it , moving to Mt. Morris

Old 11-22-2007, 10:46 AM

17 posts, read 114,202 times
I'm curious as to why your impression of Maine is the "armpit of the world"? I travel many places for my job and the opportunity to work in Maine comes up occasionally. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Grosse Ile MI.

An unusual place. We are only 20 miles from Detroit and about 45 miles from Toledo, but we have virtually no crime to speak of except typical high school stupidity vandalism, stupid thefts (yard decorations, and occasional cell phone from a car, etc). Occasionally there are a few break ins, domestic violence incidents or drunken brawl type incidents. However real criminals are not going to bother with a place that you cannot escape from. Plus we have a really bored police force, many of whom want to be Rambo. A bad combination for bad guys.

The island is heavily wooded and covered with deer, rabbits, hawks, waterfowl, etc. Housing ranges from a 37,000 s.f. monster being built at a cost of tens of millions, to HUD homes with everything in between although it is generally upscale. Lots of really neat historic homes are available (we live in an 1836 home that was once used for trading with Indians).

People are generally friendly and very few are snobby. Schools are outstanding. Community involvement is pretty common and there are loads of neat and/or cute community events.

Potential downsides: The government is a bit over aggressive and confused about their role at times. A huge part of the population of the island disappears during the winter (Florida). The town itself is tiny. It is not a quaint old fashioned small town type place, but we do have an independent hardware store, bakery, grocery, a B & B and a dozen or so small shops and restaurants (plus the ubiquitous Kroger, Starbucks and Save On) If you are into fine dining, spending all day shopping, or urban living, this is not for you. There is no reason to visit here unless you are in a boat or an airplane, but it is a great place to live.

Overall this is an awesome place.

If you work in or near Detroit, and love water, this is about as good as it gets.

I really love the west side of Michigan though, especially the Northwest below the UP. (Along Lake Michigan). However My family is in Detroit area so I am here too.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:55 AM

81 posts, read 303,258 times
Hello! I have lived in Michigan all of my life... born in Fenton, school in Mt. Pleasant, a summer in Okemos and on Mackinac Island, first real job in Belleville, first rental house in Greenbush, first real house in AuSable, then back down to Highland Twp and now back up in East Tawas... you could say I've gotten around! East Tawas is beautiful and a great place to visit but I wouldn't recommend living here unless you are a retiree. They try hard to have fun things for families to do, but it can get pretty boring in the winter months and the schools are soooo poor... they do a great job with the basics but don't have a lot of electives. There are also 2 types of people in this town.. the "lifers" who are usually born and raised here from some family that has been here for generations and are a bit suspicious of everyone else.... and the transplants like myself who feel like total outsiders and never quite feel like we know what's going on in the schools, politics, etc. I would love to live somewhere a tad more progressive and suburban, but hubby has a good job, so with the lousy economy, here we stay. I must say, the summers rule up here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan