Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 01:25 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,530,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Good luck on your search!
I pass the suggestions along to my husband as soon as I see them....he is very methodical, creates a folder to take, etc.....

I think they are going to have a good time checking out the schools. I would love to go, too, but it is some time for them to be together.....she was close to demanding her own hotel room(s)--Missoula and Pullman, but I reminded her that he has lost a lot of weight and doesn't snore anymore...'a room with two beds will be fine, Girl! Do you know how much this trip is costing, eh?'...hahahaha! She is lucky that he is taking her to see both....especially since she and I saw CSU in CO. in January....one lucky girl for sure!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,530,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
Wurzig, safe trip to your hubby and daughter.
Thank you! He is only going to allow a carry-on, so she is going to be limited....I think I explained all the extra costs that we had when we went to Ft. Collins in January....sometimes those discount tickets aren't so discount in the end.....grrrrr!

If she decides on Missoula, I am going to have to learn all about heater blocks......I know your girl bought one....(I think that is what you called it). And if she has campus housing, I know she won't have a garage.....

Old 03-11-2010, 05:18 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I like pickled beets, too! They are not always easy to find....
I just eat them alone......right out of a can after I drain it......I like them that much.
Albertsons, Winco, and Stater Brothers usually have them. Dunno about other stores. None of the big-box stores carries beets of any description; I guess wholesale shoppers only eat canned corn and canned mushrooms. I just open it up and eat the whole can too, or more often heat 'em up with a little butter. Okay, a lot of butter

<reparsing> Er, I eat the beets, not the can

Good addition to Mac & Cheese: frozen baby peas. Don't cook them, just put them in at the end and let them thaw.

I have a good simple recipe for marinated carrots, I'll post that when I find it again.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:21 PM

475 posts, read 1,498,968 times
Wurzig I hate lugging things through the airport - especially through 3 flights and a total of 12 + hours - I had a small carry on that had my coat, boots and gloves in. Than my laptop. The laptop road on the handles of the wheeled carry on. Of course I was going for 8 days not a couple of days, so I had no choice but to pay the $25 to check a piece of luggage.
You are right traveling costs can add up quick. Tickets, baggage fees, hotels, rental cars and meals. Not sure how long the flight from CA to MT is, but taking something to eat on the plane is advisable - sometimes there is not time between flights to grab a sandwich and food on airplanes is pretty much limited to cookies and pretzils. We have a deli nearby that prepares box lunches for travel - so when possible we order a lunch and buy a bottle of water at the airport.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:11 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
anyone remember when it was a treat to fly?
now it is a cattle call...
We had a relative that flew down from the north to see us when I was a kid. It was a big deal to drive to Atlanta and pick them up. They were always dressed up. LOL!
I have taken the plane from Billings to LV a couple of times. I wonder if I should have just bought a second set of clothes there and not even dealt with a carryon.
Looking forward to how the daughter likes MT. We are really melting fast, 50 degrees here this afternoon.
BTW hubs requested a repeat of the Rubens tonight...

Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 PM

299 posts, read 566,342 times
Default food ramblings .. pt. deux

Ahhhhh ... pickled foods.. Another food group that doesn't get the respect it deserves.. From your basic pickle to pickled eggs, pickled sausages, ( hats off the the american tavern community for both of those ), even pickled pigs feet .. I read somewhere that its healthy to eat something in brine each day.. For many of us, a good crisp, crunchy kosher dill can make a mediocre sandwich into a great one.. I even like sliced kosher dills on toast with mayo ( of course ) as a sandwich.. To me, the best ones are the crunchy Claussens out of the cold section.. A snack I like right out of the can is black olives.. ( pitted, of course ).. They are at their best at room temperature..

Anyone but me make sandwiches out of just chips.. I love nacho cheese doritos on white bread with mayo .. and maybe a little onion.. I remember, as a kid I used to put potato chips on my burger..

Anyone else remember the restaurant in Bozeman near to the Molly Brown.. We used to just call it Manny's.. It had a tall sign you could see from a ways away, that simply said EAT.. ( as I recall ) My memory could be wrong on that one.. Ahhh, college in Bozeman in the 70's.. The Molly, the Ore House, the Underground, St. George and the Dragon, Little Johns, the Pizza Oven, Karl Marx pizza, ( though I was partial to Pizza Oven ) the Hinky Dinky, foosball, Norris hot springs, ( never actually saw that place in the daylight ).. And there was a small bar a couple doors down from the Hinky Dinky.. It was the last business in the grouping.. You could walk right out the door and across the parking lot to Roskie.. Great memories... Oh yeah, ... and MSU too .. And there was a house I remember.. Forget exactly where it was.. In town, up the hill ( south ) from main.. But it was sort of like a mansion.. Had a wall, I think, and a gate, and a long yard.. Used to go there once in a while and just look at it.. One of my professors, name was Stonell, I think, had a great home with his own theater.. ( he was in film and tv ) ......

Sorry bout rambling on.. Thinking of Manny's got me reminiscing.. I remember, a bunch of students would leave the Molly at closing and walk to Manny's with a serious hunger.. Manny's would be closed, but they'd knock on the window ... and as long as the grill wasn't too cold yet, they would open the door and let us in and feed us.. There'd be people lining the walls sometimes.. And they had to open up again around 5:00 for breakfast..

Well, I suddenly have a hankerin' for a couple eggs, hash browns, and a large slice of ham.. ( though, I'll never see it again for the $ 1.75 I used to pay at Manny's..).. so I think I'll go.. ............ now where did I put that fry pan.

Hey Reziac, you ever get to try the Reeses Peanut Butter cups they put out with Elvis on the front.. They had a layer of banana under the peanut butter.. They were darn good.. Wish they'd caught on better.. I've recently developed a habit of putting a plop of peanut butter on the banana before each bite.. That and a real cold glass of milk.. Is anyone else of the opinion that a cold glass of chocolate milk .. or bottle .. should be chugged, not sipped.

tiberius

Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 PM

299 posts, read 566,342 times
Default NOW DEPARTING ..... from the service entrance?

MT-7 ... I remember the first time I got to Montana .. and Bozeman.. My flight landed at Billings.. The airline decided they (understandably) couldn't justify a flight to Bozeman.. But my ticket said Bozeman, Mt.. So they came up with a plan.. Me, two other students, and the pilot, in his four seat piper cub, or something, flying over Montana in the middle of the night.. I loved it.. Especially the fact that, even at flying altitude, we would spend a surprising amount of time flying over the dark Montana landscape ...... with no town lights in sight.. I knew right then I'd come to the right place ................... country roads, take me home .... to the place I belong.

Your flying story made me remember it..

tiberius

Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
MT-7 ... I remember the first time I got to Montana .. and Bozeman.. My flight landed at Billings.. The airline decided they (understandably) couldn't justify a flight to Bozeman.. But my ticket said Bozeman, Mt.. So they came up with a plan.. Me, two other students, and the pilot, in his four seat piper cub, or something, flying over Montana in the middle of the night.. I loved it.. Especially the fact that, even at flying altitude, we would spend a surprising amount of time flying over the dark Montana landscape ...... with no town lights in sight.. I knew right then I'd come to the right place ................... country roads, take me home .... to the place I belong.

Your flying story made me remember it..

tiberius
I gotta share......Your post reminded me of the first time I ever flew into Missoula (not living in MT yet)...........November 1969. It was a DC-3 (you all remember those: a "tail dragger" twin engine prop plane. I honestly can't remember if it was Frontier or Western A.L. Arrival time was about 9 p.m.. As we were on our final leg approaching the airport, the landing lights were turned on and as we were (I thought) about to "touch down".................Full power was applied to both engines and we (at about 100 feet above the runway--which could be clearly seen out the window due to the landing lights) gradually gained altitude, did a wide 360 degree circle and this time he (the pilot) made a perfect landing. The guy next to me had mentioned during the flight that he was from Missoula and frequently came in on this flight from Denver. So as we taxied toward the terminal, I had to ask: "Why did he abort his first attempt to land"...................... The guy looked at me, smiled and said:............."Oh, he was just playing it safe..............he was checking the runway............................FOR DEER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yea, the good old days!!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
I have worked places over here where the flight team is one looking at the controls and one is looking for the ground!

Oh yes the ambulance usually does a deer sweep first!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:52 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
anyone remember when it was a treat to fly?
now it is a cattle call...
We had a relative that flew down from the north to see us when I was a kid. It was a big deal to drive to Atlanta and pick them up. They were always dressed up. LOL!
I have taken the plane from Billings to LV a couple of times. I wonder if I should have just bought a second set of clothes there and not even dealt with a carryon.
Looking forward to how the daughter likes MT. We are really melting fast, 50 degrees here this afternoon.
BTW hubs requested a repeat of the Rubens tonight...
Depending are your destination; if you are going to visit family and friends, sending a small box via UPS, might be least expensive answer. Plus you don't have to lug it to the airport and wonder if it will arrive.

You can do the entire shipment online, print the shipping label, and hand off the package to a brown truck or drop it off at a UPS store, Staples, Office Depot etc. UPS will also for a small fee pick it at your door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana