Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 AM

519 posts, read 1,377,040 times

Advertisements

Wow looks like fun, jimj. Greatpics. Been trying to get the hubby to get a camper, we just disagree because he wants to park it, and I say why, lets travel with it. One of these days I will win though.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:49 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Hey jimj we tried the BBQ at the East Shore Smokehouse And Grill and it was not as good as Piggyback.
When you make it back to western Montana maybe we can do that river float that didn't happen last summer. I'm ready to float-fish from ClumseyBalls to KattleSmell in the old tupperware trawler.

Looking at those pics with the BBQ smoke wafting up from the tents, I swear my computer just got a smell-o-vision update. I'm smelling whole hog pork, brisket, ribs, and chicken while looking at the pics. Now I'm hungry, we can't cook much in our motel room and the food in this little town is not very good. We gotta go stuff our faces now so I think we'll eat at the little Amish place down in Plains today.
Here is a picture of a funny sign that is on highway 200 in Plains Montana.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Looking at those pics with the BBQ smoke wafting up from the tents, I swear my computer just got a smell-o-vision update. I'm smelling whole hog pork, brisket, ribs, and chicken while looking at the pics. Now I'm hungry, we can't cook much in our motel room and the food in this little town is not very good. We gotta go stuff our faces now so I think we'll eat at the little Amish place down in Plains today.
Call the Squeeze-Inn in Clark Fork and make sure they're open--I think they may be closed during the winter, or have limited hours. The food is fantastic! (208) 266-0234. That's only about 30-35 minutes away from Trout Creek. There's also a good sandwich place (Mom's or Mama's something) and a friendly diner across the street with pics on the walls from the Old Days.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:56 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Looking at those pics with the BBQ smoke wafting up from the tents, I swear my computer just got a smell-o-vision update. I'm smelling whole hog pork, brisket, ribs, and chicken while looking at the pics.

Haha, I had the same thought... "Get a smell of all that BBQ smoke!!"

Les Webber the pitcher?? don't find another by that name of any repute. Strange sign.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 AM

For y'all that like rootin' through really old dirt (something Montana has its fair share of), another issue is up:

Archaeology Table of Contents, May/June 2010

Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Hey jimj we tried the BBQ at the East Shore Smokehouse And Grill and it was not as good as Piggyback.
When you make it back to western Montana maybe we can do that river float that didn't happen last summer. I'm ready to float-fish from ClumseyBalls to KattleSmell in the old tupperware trawler.

The float sounds good though I'd have to dig my pontoon out of storage. You know, the funny thing is the more we judge and hang around the bbq set the more we find out the bbq places we used to love really cook poor bbq. We've had the pleasure of eating from some of the best in the nation as judged by the fact they've won national titles and team of the year from KCBS. We've kind of figured out "most" bbq restaraunts cook what I call "sloppy bbq" which means it's not consistant, usually over smoked and/or overcooked or sauced beyond recognition.

One key mistake that most people make, if the meat on a rib "falls off the bone" or all comes off when you take the first bite it's over cooked and thus would lose a comp. If it has the slightest taste of what I call "jet fuel" which kinda tastes like charcoal lighter fluid residue it's been over smoked. Rib meat should have some "pull" to it and the bone should turn white when you take a bite of it and taste some smoke.
There's a ton to know totally learned by experience, the problem is it makes it very hard to eat at supposed bbq restaraunts. I won't even walk into a Famous Daves (the mcdonalds of bbq imo).

Old 04-15-2010, 12:42 PM

299 posts, read 566,053 times
Default And the winner is ........ THE JUDGES

It looked like the event was held sort of downtown. I noticed a number of buildings around. I wonder if any work got done in those businesses while the cooking was going on. Some of the women may have been able to resist the heavenly bouquet, but I expect most of the men spent the day with their heads on their desks .. whimpering like babies. I can almost hear the bosses yelling at their employees ... "GET BACK TO WORK YOU BUMS!!".. And later, the boss standing at the window, looking out at the cookoff, talking on his cell phone to the local police chief... " You mean you can't do ANYTHING? .. They've GOT to be breaking SOME kind of law." .. ( the chief mumbles some unintelligible response ) .. " What was that? I can barely understand you. It sounds like you're chewing something... Why yes, I AM a vegetarian, how did you know. ...... WAIT, I CAN SEE YOU ... YOU'RE AT THE DAMN THING ... YOU'RE EATING A RIB !!! " ... click ... " HELLO ..... HELLO ..."

JIMJ .. you must have done something incredible in a former life, because most men's karma doesn't include judging .. ( and eating ) .. BBQ.

tiberius

Old 04-15-2010, 06:30 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
All this talk about cooking meat reminded me of this newspaper article written by a vegetarian no doubt and I thought it was a bit funny.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
It looked like the event was held sort of downtown. I noticed a number of buildings around. I wonder if any work got done in those businesses while the cooking was going on. Some of the women may have been able to resist the heavenly bouquet, but I expect most of the men spent the day with their heads on their desks .. whimpering like babies. I can almost hear the bosses yelling at their employees ... "GET BACK TO WORK YOU BUMS!!".. And later, the boss standing at the window, looking out at the cookoff, talking on his cell phone to the local police chief... " You mean you can't do ANYTHING? .. They've GOT to be breaking SOME kind of law." .. ( the chief mumbles some unintelligible response ) .. " What was that? I can barely understand you. It sounds like you're chewing something... Why yes, I AM a vegetarian, how did you know. ...... WAIT, I CAN SEE YOU ... YOU'RE AT THE DAMN THING ... YOU'RE EATING A RIB !!! " ... click ... " HELLO ..... HELLO ..."

JIMJ .. you must have done something incredible in a former life, because most men's karma doesn't include judging .. ( and eating ) .. BBQ.

tiberius
Maybe I was a pig or cow and thought "hmmm, I'd sure like to see how the other half lives"!
The comp was actually in an undeveloped lot at this HUGE mall in Scottsdale, right across from Neiman Marcus. If y'all want to see some pics of the food and such go to Arizona State BBQ Championships - John's Photos- powered by SmugMug (http://www.imagesbyjohnvance.com/Barbeque/Arizona-Stae-BBQ-Championships/11828003_veMrR#836106294_7GoU3 - broken link)

Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Maybe I was a pig or cow and thought "hmmm, I'd sure like to see how the other half lives"!
HAHAHA!! So, which half did you like better?

That's sure some classic pink panel truck in the photos!! Looks ready to cook.

Willya look at that... this is post #2500 on the porch. Dang, the breezes here are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana