Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 11:00 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,621,225 times

Advertisements

^Somehow, I suspect I'd be sleeping on the couch if I did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 11:34 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,383,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I feel that was an interesting dynamic added to the "oh they copied the Death Star again" complaint. Just as the star killer nature of the new base had rose the bar rather than lowered it like some thought.

I think that also gives a new dynamic to the Sith. We never really saw the ragaholic Sith apprentice. It's always had been ones who were wise or trained to control. Kylo Ren cannot whether it is conflicits with is he on the lighter side or the darker side OR how he reacts to things. Sure we saw force chokes but we never saw someone who is Sith throw a temper tantrum with their light saber or pull some into a physical chokehold.
The Force Awakens did not give a time frame to when Kylo betrayed Luke Skywalker, but I assume Kylo was an inexperienced Jedi too before he turned to the dark side.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I finally got to see the movie and enjoyed it overall. Great entertainment. That said, after sleeping on it and thinking about it, the movie had so many big holes you could drive a truck thru them. As mentioned before, how could the New Order develop and built suck a massive planet like structure with such an incredible weapon but the resistance did nothing but keep its aging X-wing fighters. Obviously the movie was set many decades after Return of the Jedi. Speaking of the structure, why did it look like the death star from afar but up close it have mountain ranges and forests and an atmosphere? Why would the New Order care about those things? The death star didn't.

The new bad guy, forgot his name, was supposed to be bad but all he did was throw temper tantrums and allow mistakes to be made with no repercussions. His master should have gotten rid of him. Darth Vader never allowed mistakes to go unpunished. Mistakes usually meant death. And just who is the New Orders leader? Other than a giant hologram, why didn't they tell us a bit of backstory on how he came into power? I guess we will get that answer next year.
They never explained what the political makeup of the New Republic with respect to the New Order and Resistance. Why are they called the Resistance when the last Emperor is gone and who controls the new Republic if the New Order is a separate entity. Of course this stuff is too much for majority of movie watchers to absorb. Lucas threw these plots in Eps 2 and 3 and failed to get people to understand the politics of SW. Most people hated Jar-Jar Binx as the new Supreme Chancellor so they have no wish to watch politics in a movie.

Kylo Ren is still a young apprentice to Darth Plaguris. I don't really care about SW right now because this movie is a big stinking piece of over marketed Disney story rather than a real native SW story.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:07 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I finally got to see the movie and enjoyed it overall. Great entertainment. That said, after sleeping on it and thinking about it, the movie had so many big holes you could drive a truck thru them. As mentioned before, how could the New Order develop and built suck a massive planet like structure with such an incredible weapon but the resistance did nothing but keep its aging X-wing fighters. Obviously the movie was set many decades after Return of the Jedi. Speaking of the structure, why did it look like the death star from afar but up close it have mountain ranges and forests and an atmosphere? Why would the New Order care about those things? The death star didn't.

The new bad guy, forgot his name, was supposed to be bad but all he did was throw temper tantrums and allow mistakes to be made with no repercussions. His master should have gotten rid of him. Darth Vader never allowed mistakes to go unpunished. Mistakes usually meant death. And just who is the New Orders leader? Other than a giant hologram, why didn't they tell us a bit of backstory on how he came into power? I guess we will get that answer next year.
**SPOILER ALERT**

Not only, how could they have built such a gigantic space station, but.... does the menace to the rebel alliance always, always, need to take the form of another planet destroying death star? And why, once again, do we have the over the top Darth Vader type villain an his sister 3D hologram of a sith lord, plotting to recruit people who suddenly discovered they have the potential to become a Jedi??? Are the imaginations of the writers for Star Wars movies that pathetic, that the only viable movie scripts must always follow the same plots twists over and over?

Old 12-28-2015, 01:13 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
The Force Awakens did not give a time frame to when Kylo betrayed Luke Skywalker, but I assume Kylo was an inexperienced Jedi too before he turned to the dark side.
I compare Kylo with Anakin. Given the relative chaos of the period when the Empire had lost its Emperor compared to the period of galactic stability under the Republic before Palpatine was able to de-stabilize it, Kylo's devolution to the dark side not really different from what Anakin's might have been.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:30 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I compare Kylo with Anakin. Given the relative chaos of the period when the Empire had lost its Emperor compared to the period of galactic stability under the Republic before Palpatine was able to de-stabilize it, Kylo's devolution to the dark side not really different from what Anakin's might have been.
Judging by this latest movie script, and its lack of originality, I'll bet the transition of the two men to the dark side, are going to be eerily similar. The dark side is quite simply, hitting the "easy button" for the practitioners of the force.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:40 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Judging by this latest movie script, and its lack of originality, I'll bet the transition of the two men to the dark side, are going to be eerily similar. The dark side is quite simply, hitting the "easy button" for the practitioners of the force.
Yes. In Anakin's case, once he was put under Obi Wan's guidance, he had a "father figure," he was made a "father figure," and was in a tightly controlled social environment. "Clone Wars" shows in greater detail the controlling effect that a stable social environment had on him through the period leading up to Revenge of the Sith. Had Palpatine been able to have more direct, unimpeded influence over Anakin sans Jedi Council, sans Obi Wan Kenobi, sans a padawan to care for, we'd have seen Anakin devolve in the same way as Kylo Ren.

Even then, Anakin still had his outbursts.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If I had to guess, it would be that Kylo does not accept the Jedi's philosophy of being puppets to the republic or Jedi rules such as being devoted to the order. Since Luke is the last remaining Jedi I can't imagine Luke would create a Jedi Order or establish some strict rules. So it's hard to say unless they come up with something unoriginal again.

Unless Kylo simply wants to avenge for the death of Vadar which he was lied or deceived that Luke killed Vadar out of vengeance of some sort.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:53 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
**SPOILER ALERT**

Not only, how could they have built such a gigantic space station, but.... does the menace to the rebel alliance always, always, need to take the form of another planet destroying death star? And why, once again, do we have the over the top Darth Vader type villain an his sister 3D hologram of a sith lord, plotting to recruit people who suddenly discovered they have the potential to become a Jedi??? Are the imaginations of the writers for Star Wars movies that pathetic, that the only viable movie scripts must always follow the same plots twists over and over?
He's not a sith.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:29 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Read this

Admit it: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' stinks -- and here's why - LA Times

Quote:
Abrams seems to follow the precept that the surest way to keep from putting a foot wrong is to walk only within the footprints of one's predecessors. As has been noted by a few reviewers who braved the intimidating weight of "Star Wars: the Phenomenon" to write critical pans, the new movie obsequiously replicates the formula of the original -- its set pieces, rhythm, pacing, even dialogue -- almost without advancing the story at all. It's a mark of Disney's own caretaker mentality that not only is a Jar Jar Binks-level blunder absent from "The Force Awakens," but so is surprise or even much suspense. One has to be a pretty inattentive viewer to be surprised or shocked by either the big reveal in the story (no spoilers!) or its denouement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies