Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
In related news... Rivergate is hoping to survive past Summer 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,486 times
^Rivergate has supposedly blossomed since Opry Mills closed. I haven't been out there but I know last month the news reported they were going to undergo a multi-million $ makeover. I wonder if people will continue to go there after Opry Mills reopens...

Courtney

Old 04-12-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
^Rivergate has supposedly blossomed since Opry Mills closed. I haven't been out there but I know last month the news reported they were going to undergo a multi-million $ makeover. I wonder if people will continue to go there after Opry Mills reopens...

Courtney
Haha, that was my point. They're dumping all kinds of money into that mall to support the influx of displaced Opry Mills shoppers. I think it will be difficult for them to remain solvent once they lose that constituency.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:21 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,486 times
^I got what you were saying & I wanted to add to it with the makeover tidbit. Hopefully they'll both do well...I guess we'll see.

Courtney

Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
^I got what you were saying & I wanted to add to it with the makeover tidbit. Hopefully they'll both do well...I guess we'll see.

Courtney
I hope so, too, but it will be a tough task for Rivergate, especially considering they've lost a lot of the Sumner County business they used to get to Indian Lake, Glenbrook, and all the new development between H'ville and Gallatin.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
I worry about the fate of Rivergate as well. When you look at Harding Mall, Bellevue Center, & Hickory Hollow it is hard not to see the writing on the wall. Plus there is still so much room up in Indian Lake for expansion...they've only barely scratched the surface for what that area can be. I really would not be surprised if one of the big anchor stores like Macy's/Dillard's/Sears/Penney's didn't cut bait in Rivergate and move to Hendersonville in the next year or two.

On one hand, I'd enjoy having those stores closer to me, on the other I know Rivergate needs them more. I just hope the improvements they're doing will help business continue there.

One thing I've heard numerous times is that no one really misses Opry Mills. I'm just not sure that their re-launch will be that successful. I kinda hope it isn't, honestly. But then again, I will always be bitter for the closing of Opryland.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
I'm very excited about the list of stores so far. It sounds like it will be better than it was before the flood. I would prefer Oryland too, but if it's going to be a mall, at least it will be a better one than before.

ETA: I have a food question to ask. What's the best hot chicken restaurant? I need to buy a gift certificate for a hot food fan that has never tried hot chicken. What's my best bet within 20-25 minutes of Brentwood?

Old 04-12-2011, 01:54 PM

597 posts, read 2,109,069 times
If you guys haven't wandered over that way, there's a thread entitled "Minneapolis vs. Nashville." This one makes me proud and as a sample entry from a forumer in Minnesota said, "This has got to be the most civil versus thread in the history of the internet."

And to Nashvols, you've done a great job and much of the credit for this positive thread is yours, and the civil folks of Minnesota.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
@ brentwoodgirl: Hot chicken...it depends on who you ask. Prince's is the first one that most people think of. They're the oldest and if you believe the legend, they invented the dish. It is, without a doubt, exceptional. However, it is in a strip mall off of Dickerson Rd. in northeast Nashville...almost in Madison actually. It's tiny and it can be very hard finding a place to sit and eat. Likewise, they don't usually have great customer service there. All that to say, while the chicken is great and the ambiance is sort of charming in its own way, it is not always a great dining experience there in the restaurant. However, it is the Mecca of hot chicken and it is a must-try at some point for any hot chicken fan.

That said, I would suggest 400 Degrees for a first-timer. It's just as hot as Prince's and the flavor is very much the same. In fact, I doubt I could tell the difference most of the time. But 400 Degrees' new location is on 4th and Peabody...just a few blocks from the new Convention Center that is under construction. Very convenient location just off of the Shelby St. exit or 4th Ave exit. They also have ample parking and most importantly...plenty of seating. It is in a food court so there are other restaurants there, but it is plenty of room. And they have great customer service. They're always very friendly. All in all it is a better first time experience I believe.

Bolton's is a fine establishment too. Not nearly as hot as Prince's but very good. Again, not much seating. They're also a friendly lot there as well. I cut my hot chicken teeth on Bolton's and they'll always have a fond place in my heart.

There's a new place called Pepperfire that is on Gallatin Rd in East Nashville...but I've not been there yet.

My guess is that it will be hard to find a gift certificate for any of the places. 400 Degrees might have them. They're all mom and pop kind of places so they usually don't have things like that. In fact, all 3 of the above are cash only. No credit cards or debit cards.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: let me also add that I suggest any first timer drink non-carbonated drinks. Fizz only adds to the pain. Milk is the best (the fats help break down the capascin), water and lemonade are okay, soda and beer are mistakes.

Last edited by DonCorleone; 04-12-2011 at 02:44 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I worry about the fate of Rivergate as well. When you look at Harding Mall, Bellevue Center, & Hickory Hollow it is hard not to see the writing on the wall. Plus there is still so much room up in Indian Lake for expansion...they've only barely scratched the surface for what that area can be. I really would not be surprised if one of the big anchor stores like Macy's/Dillard's/Sears/Penney's didn't cut bait in Rivergate and move to Hendersonville in the next year or two.

On one hand, I'd enjoy having those stores closer to me, on the other I know Rivergate needs them more. I just hope the improvements they're doing will help business continue there.

One thing I've heard numerous times is that no one really misses Opry Mills. I'm just not sure that their re-launch will be that successful. I kinda hope it isn't, honestly. But then again, I will always be bitter for the closing of Opryland.
Not many locals miss it, but that place drew business from everywhere. At one point, it was the most visited tourist attraction in the state, believe it or not! (It may still have been when the flood hit, I'm not sure.)

I think they will do just fine when they re-open, although I agree with your sentiments about Opryland. I always surmised that a 13-year-old girl was behind that decision. "We should tear it down and build a mall!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville